James90125

Re: Talksport Commentary

Post by James90125 »

Correct. "Tottenham are on the rocks here on the south coast"

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Erskine Might wrote:I didn't realise Matterface was TS's 'chief commentator' until they called him that today. He's a joke. I imagine him commentating with loads of post-it notes stuck all around with 'witty' observations and phrases he dreamed up the day before with a view to shoehorning them into his commentary. Part of his commentary sounds awkwardly pre-rehearsed and the other part is either risibly banal or barely comprehensible.

'Chief Football Commentator' indeed. Bit like when years back, 5Live promoted Mike Ingham from 'Football Correspondent' to 'Chief Football Correspondent'.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Juice Terry

Post by Juice Terry »

Matterface is unlistenable
LUFC

Erskine Might

Post by Erskine Might »

What he does is a sort of aural PowerPoint presentation: a set of pre-planned slides with his laboured phrases on display, interspersed by whatever messy waffle he can muster. Like yesterday on Spurs: 'The diamond failed to shine, and has thus been put back in its case' - awful, but you could tell he was mentally patting himself on the back for the beauty of it. Then a bit of talking-down to Stuart Pearce, then a bit of snide waffle about whatever was going wrong on the pitch, then another pre-rehearsed soundbite. He's thoroughly unlikeable and a really irritating commentator. Even the buttock-clenched, little-man-in-a-box-voiced Proudfoot isn't as bad.

Champagne and Roses

Post by Champagne and Roses »

The main problem is he doesn’t tell you frequently enough what’s happening on the pitch so you can’t follow the game. A basic error. He seems to think he’s commentating for TV.
Blocked by Andy Jacobs since 2011
You might even spot me having a bit of veal

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Erskine Might wrote:What he does is a sort of aural PowerPoint presentation: a set of pre-planned slides with his laboured phrases on display, interspersed by whatever messy waffle he can muster. Like yesterday on Spurs: 'The diamond failed to shine, and has thus been put back in its case' - awful, but you could tell he was mentally patting himself on the back for the beauty of it. Then a bit of talking-down to Stuart Pearce, then a bit of snide waffle about whatever was going wrong on the pitch, then another pre-rehearsed soundbite. He's thoroughly unlikeable and a really irritating commentator. Even the buttock-clenched, little-man-in-a-box-voiced Proudfoot isn't as bad.

A perfect description. As opposed to 'The Perfect Prescription' by the mighty and majestic Spacemen 3 and another unnecessary shoehorn of the masters: 8)

rorymac

Post by rorymac »

Listened for a bit yesterday keen to know who was playing for Spurs like you might .. 10 minutes later he'd just described play here and there and bants or summink with Stewie but hardly a name. Switched off not just because of that tbf :o

JW90

Post by JW90 »

Champagne and Roses wrote:The main problem is he doesn’t tell you frequently enough what’s happening on the pitch so you can’t follow the game. A basic error. He seems to think he’s commentating for TV.

Far too many have this problem, they don't seem to realise they are the only source of information and not enough detail is given to the match situation.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Carlos J wrote:
Erskine Might wrote:What he does is a sort of aural PowerPoint presentation: a set of pre-planned slides with his laboured phrases on display, interspersed by whatever messy waffle he can muster. Like yesterday on Spurs: 'The diamond failed to shine, and has thus been put back in its case' - awful, but you could tell he was mentally patting himself on the back for the beauty of it. Then a bit of talking-down to Stuart Pearce, then a bit of snide waffle about whatever was going wrong on the pitch, then another pre-rehearsed soundbite. He's thoroughly unlikeable and a really irritating commentator. Even the buttock-clenched, little-man-in-a-box-voiced Proudfoot isn't as bad.

A perfect description. As opposed to 'The Perfect Prescription' by the mighty and majestic Spacemen 3 and another unnecessary shoehorn of the masters: 8)

rorymac wrote:Listened for a bit yesterday keen to know who was playing for Spurs like you might .. 10 minutes later he'd just described play here and there and bants or summink with Stewie but hardly a name. Switched off not just because of that tbf :o

Listen to proper stuff, Rory. Within 10 minutes, amazing. "Take Me to the Other Side" and "Walkin' With Jesus". 8)

rorymac

Post by rorymac »

Thanks Carlos will listen cos I'm like that and there's not many of us left :o

ccreds

Post by ccreds »

Rugby League. Is that what Mark Wilson's main job? I know he does football as well like.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Rugger, rugger, rugger.

League, league, league.

Champagne and Roses

ccreds wrote:Rugby League. Is that what Mark Wilson's main job? I know he does football as well like.
He’s their best football commentator even though his main job is rugby league. He has developed a unique style for radio football commentary on TS whereby he tells you what’s happening on the pitch.

JW90

Post by JW90 »

Champagne and Roses wrote:
ccreds wrote:Rugby League. Is that what Mark Wilson's main job? I know he does football as well like.
He’s their best football commentator even though his main job is rugby league. He has developed a unique style for radio football commentary on TS whereby he tells you what’s happening on the pitch.

He needs to cut that out asap.

Champagne and Roses

JW90 wrote:
Champagne and Roses wrote:

He needs to cut that out asap.
Right. That’s why they only give him Championship games in Yorkshire.