Kick Off - Durham In, Sawyer Out, Saggers Out.

Talksport - the main station discussion place
Erskine Might

Re: Kick Off - Sawyer In, Saggers Out.

Post by Erskine Might »

Champagne and Roses wrote:I listened to ten minutes purely out of technical interest. One thing that struck me was the three of them were talking as if they were unaware that anyone else was listening, it was like overhearing a particularly boring conversation on a train. Proper radio presenters (DK, even Saggs) always convey the impression they know the audience is there even if they don't explicitly engage with them, they are more inclusive. .

It's a good point.

I think lots of people in radio have been bewitched by the popularity of podcasts. This partly explains why people like Luke Warm are hired - people with poor voices and diction, and personalities, for radio, but who, supposedly, bring their large podcast audience with them.

And I think it also partly explains why some shows these days sound like they're (mediocre) podcasts, in the sense that, as you say, there's a lack of nous when it comes to engaging with an unseen audience. There are some excellent podcasters out there, but lots of the others don't really have the expertise or experience to truly draw in an audience; they rely on a 'take me as you find me' attitude and see what happens. Nothing wrong with that for podcasts; a lot wrong with it if you act the same way on radio.

They're two different media, requiring two different skills. Yes, there's overlap, of course, but it's foolish to assume, like Clayton seems to do, that they're interchangeable experiences with interchangeable 'talent'.

It's a bit like vloggers. TV people see, say, Joe Suggs amass a huge online audience and start to dream about simply importing that audience, with him, to TV formats (zero effort, zero thought, maximum results). But Suggs has zero presenting skills, and once you ask him to deal with autocue and a programme format, rather than have him to do his inane online 'look at me being me' crap, he flounders, to the surprise of no one other than TV executives.

Publishers are currently in the grip of the same delusion. They sign up podcasters and vloggers in the belief that thusands or even millions of online subscribers will buy a book by their favourite. So they hire ghostwriters and publish the book, and again, to no one's surprise except publishers, only a minority of the fans of online shows also want to (or in some cases even can) read a book.

Instead of really thinking hard about a specific medium as a specific medium, with specific arts and skills, too many of these characters are looking for lazy shortcuts by quick and easy importation. So we get more and more of this stuff that suits no one. First Clayton seemed to want to make a radio station more like a newspaper. Now he seems to want it to be more like a jumble of podcasts.

If only he would try to make a radio station a better radio station.

Ned

Post by Ned »

The last hour of the Thursday show is Government funded through the Audio Content Fund.

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2019/08/blog-a ... milestone/

Champagne and Roses

Post by Champagne and Roses »

Ned wrote:The last hour of the Thursday show is Government funded through the Audio Content Fund.

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2019/08/blog-a ... milestone/
Interesting. I doubt there were any listeners left by the last hour though.
Blocked by Andy Jacobs since 2011
You might even spot me having a bit of veal

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Audio Cuntend Fuck more like
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Champagne and Roses

Thursday's diversity special looming. It is bold of Clayton - the organisations who also do this are all public funded (BBC, subsidised theatre etc.), doing it on a purely commercial station which depends on ratings is a novel idea.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Might be hoping for a knighthood
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

ccreds

Post by ccreds »

Good book this from Evans.

Champagne and Roses

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Might be hoping for a knighthood
Or the approval of his cocaine-fuelled media chums. He should go the full BBC/C4 and relocate the whole station to Hartlepool - big Al could commute there by taxi every day.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Some queer old coves at work. :roll:
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Hugh is a half decent presenter, gets the professional, but a dull fella. Nay problem, would rather listen to professional and dull than idiocy and twats. Oh, look, some black fella complaining that a black fella has never been to the moon stuff on the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/46571432
Well, I did actually speak to the senior management where I work.

In BBC Sport, they contend they are determined to change, including the appointment of a diversity lead within BBC Sport last year.

About 18% of BBC Sports News staff are BAME. The national average for the population is 13%, according to the last Census.
:?

And another twat who thinks RaRa is the second coming of Martin Luther King Jr. :roll: When everybody knows RaRa is a thick cunt.

Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr, Malcolm X, Muhammad Ali. All the 'Ms'. No one ever is going to compare a little shite, thick cunt, RaRa Sterling to them. Ever.

An awful player, to wit an awful man.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

ccreds

Post by ccreds »

Dazza!

kentred1

Post by kentred1 »

Listening figures must be through the roof listening to this crap

JW90

Post by JW90 »

Another show, another "how bad is gambling?" chat. Usual texts coming in saying you promote it, presenters saying we don't, they just sponsor it and anyway, people should gamble responsibly yadda yadda.

As per usual, the point is totally missed. There is a huge difference between sponsoring and promoting on the radio. Let's say, for example, a fizzy drinks company was associated with a show. Their contribution is to hear "X show, sponsored by said fizzy drinks company" read out by the presenter and in trailers. That is sponsoring. If it was "X show, sponsored by said fizzy drinks company. Drink 10 cans a day to really enjoy it!" That is promoting it.

We are bombarded with betting ads telling you to listen to the hunch, take the hint, just one more go, this accumulator, in-play betting etc.

Stop lecturing people. We know gambling is bad, your time-filling exercise is an absolute waste and will just be slagged off by the listeners. I do wonder why they do "serious" radio because it never works.

Champagne and Roses

One of the few things TS do brilliantly well is get money from gambling companies, having different competing companies sponsor and advertise on different shows is a great idea which surprisingly they seem to be able to get away with it. The only difficulty is that irrespective of what betting company is advertising and providing betting updates on Breakfast, Big Al keeps mentioning Coral every few minutes in the weeks before Cheltenham.

JW90

Post by JW90 »

To be honest, the betting companies being associated with the shows doesn't bother me hugely on it's own- I realise that they need to bring in money from somewhere and if they are putting up the most, take it.

What we don't need is to hear the betting adverts on repeat every 15 minutes, chats with the bookies during the shows THEN being told that we need to gamble responsibly and it could lead to serious problems. That is what annoys the texters and callers who get in touch.