Re: Fixed - No Thanks to the Hosting Service

Post by Basualdo »

Good going, Mark, well done. :D 8)
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

m4 colin

Post by m4 colin »

Getting nothing from D&D except "This Topic does not exist I guess you already know but just in case
I heard gods fast but I'd have to go up against him before I believe it

colinthewarriormonkey

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

Well done Mark - good to see it back.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

Whitesnake

Post by Whitesnake »

Echo all the sentiments- great to see you back

ccreds

Post by ccreds »

Top work Mark.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Yes, well done.
Two suggestions ( serious ones for once)

What about creating a blog spot blog as a backup ( takes about 5 minutes). In the event of future problems you could communicate with members there as required. ( of course they'd have to manage to find it). For example, if the hosting service crashed permanently and you wanted to relaunch, you could post the details there.

Secondly, any chance of Carlos or someone going through the dead threads and deleting them - many have had their day anyway. I imagine that older threads would just creep up the queue and be gradually replaced by newer ones.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Forget 2nd. They're back
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

Thanks - the blog was there but on the same host as the main site so maybe it needs to be on a different host just in case Go Daddy decide to take me up on my advice before I shift the site somewhere else.
We do have some software routines that can trim away old threads but a lot of people wanted to keep the them so we stopped trimming or pruning them as the software describes it. Simply, the database and the site have just grown too big for the current hosting arrangement so I will look to put them somewhere else when the opportunity comes around.

Also, I have just run a repair to fix the missing topics so you should all now be able to view almost any topic that is listed in any section - subject to security restrictions. There may just be one or two threads that got lost in the storm; the best suggestion that I can make is that people either observe a minute's silence or give a minute's applause in their memory.

Somehow I will get a search facility back on here for the people who like to use it and its various subroutines.

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

Royal24s wrote:Forget 2nd. They're back

Yes as explained in the post above :D

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Played, Mark.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Douglas will pay tribute to any murdered threads aka "historical records"
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Reg

Post by Reg »

Well done, Mark.

Any chance of deleting all the previous posts of certain “prolific” posters - I will draw up a list, but two or three should do it - and using their space to reinstate everything from the past two versions of the forum, so that future generations may enjoy their brilliance?
Roy IN!!

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

Thanks Mark. Happy days 8)
So, if there’s something you’d like to try
If there’s something you’d like to try
Ask me, I won't say no, how could I?

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

mark wrote:Thanks - the blog was there but on the same host as the main site so maybe it needs to be on a different host just in case Go Daddy decide to take me up on my advice before I shift the site somewhere else.
We do have some software routines that can trim away old threads but a lot of people wanted to keep the them so we stopped trimming or pruning them as the software describes it. Simply, the database and the site have just grown too big for the current hosting arrangement so I will look to put them somewhere else when the opportunity comes around.

Also, I have just run a repair to fix the missing topics so you should all now be able to view almost any topic that is listed in any section - subject to security restrictions. There may just be one or two threads that got lost in the storm; the best suggestion that I can make is that people either observe a minute's silence or give a minute's applause in their memory.

Somehow I will get a search facility back on here for the people who like to use it and its various subroutines.

Well done and thanks. Obviously a great deal of people appreciate this forum more than you'd imagine. This is obviously a fair sized task you're doing here free of charge which soaks up much of your time to get right. I think I speak for most here when saying this is truly appreciated.

robm

Post by robm »

I guess hosting a blog like this can be a thankless task as they say "you can please some of the people some of the time but you cant please all of the people all of the time." It is much appreciated though even if most of us dont listen to the station as much as we once did it still provokes debate and I guess ridicule at times.
"How wrong is the game"?