State of the Forum

rorymac

Re: State of the Forum

Post by rorymac »

Good work appreciated !

Now then the state of the forum :

Can posters kindly desist from the recent nauseating wave of camaraderie and respectful interlocution .. it's absolutely disgusting ok !

Thanks fellas x

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

I still can only get on with Firefox, not Chrome.

With firefox when I go to https://talkforum.co.uk and click the login link I get taken to
https://talkforum.co.uk/ucp.php?mode=login
Then I log in with username & password and AFTER logging in the url now has the long session cookie on the end and all is well.

With chrome when I click login I get taken to
https://talkforum.co.uk/ucp.php?mode=lo ... fetcetcetc
and the url already has the session cookie BEFORE I've logged in.
If I log in I get taken back to the main page where I'm not logged in.
It's definitely 'seeing' my password because if I type it in wrongly it says I got it wrong, but when I get it right I'm just bumped back onto the main page and not logged in.
I tried forcibly going to the correct login url and logging in but the results are the same.
I really am a biatch

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

Seems like either cookies or saved passwords are in there somewhere and probably associated with the week where the IP address was the only login route. Couple of other people have managed to fix similar issues this week, especially on Chrome.

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

LaaLaa wrote:I still can only get on with Firefox, not Chrome.

With firefox when I go to https://talkforum.co.uk and click the login link I get taken to
https://talkforum.co.uk/ucp.php?mode=login
Then I log in with username & password and AFTER logging in the url now has the long session cookie on the end and all is well.

With chrome when I click login I get taken to
https://talkforum.co.uk/ucp.php?mode=lo ... fetcetcetc
and the url already has the session cookie BEFORE I've logged in.
If I log in I get taken back to the main page where I'm not logged in.
It's definitely 'seeing' my password because if I type it in wrongly it says I got it wrong, but when I get it right I'm just bumped back onto the main page and not logged in.
I tried forcibly going to the correct login url and logging in but the results are the same.

See my posts above.

I followed the instructions to get rid of cookies on Chrome via;

Settings / Advanced / Privacy and security / Site settings / See all cookies and data

then find talkforum in the list and remove cookies.

Then log in again after clicking 'forgot my pssword' etc. and getting a new password.

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

I got on with Chrome with an incognito window! At least I know Chrome is capable of it now!
Already tried the cookies thing the other day with no joy, I'll try again later with the password suggestion, thanks.
I really am a biatch

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

Still can’t log in on my main computer. Have deleted cookies. When I try to get a password change email I get an invalid message notification.
There's no poem, just prose.

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote:Still can’t log in on my main computer. Have deleted cookies. When I try to get a password change email I get an invalid message notification.

Before I got Chrome to work, I got in with a new password on Microsoft Edge (Explorer) which is on my computer but I use rarely.

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote:Still can’t log in on my main computer. Have deleted cookies. When I try to get a password change email I get an invalid message notification.

Are you using Chrome?

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

mark wrote:

Are you using Chrome?

I couldn't log on with chrome.

I fixed it by:

1. clicking on the padlock icon on the left-hand side of the address bar
2. selected 'settings->cookies@
3 removed all the cookie.

Tried again and it worked.

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

Vespa wrote:
mark wrote:

Are you using Chrome?

I couldn't log on with chrome.

I fixed it by:

1. clicking on the padlock icon on the left-hand side of the address bar
2. selected 'settings->cookies@
3 removed all the cookie.

Tried again and it worked.

Cheers Vespa. Worked perfectly
There's no poem, just prose.

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

Somebody please save this thread for future sanity. This is the only place I find people having problems with Chrome when updates happen on applications, websites and network settings.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Stickied.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

This is the only time I've ever had problems with Chrome not being able to log in anywhere. I can log in with an incognito window like I'm doing now, but otherwise turning off browser addons, deleting cookies, saved passwords, cached data etc has no effect and I still can't log in. There's *something* cached somewhere that just won't flipping sod off.

Edit to add: When I'm here in an incognito window there are 3 cookies, without ingognito there are 8, I click the padlock icon and delete them and then when I click the icon again it says I still have 4 although there's no entries for them in the little box. They seem to be invisible and defy any attempt at deletion.
I really am a biatch

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

LaaLaa wrote:This is the only time I've ever had problems with Chrome not being able to log in anywhere. I can log in with an incognito window like I'm doing now, but otherwise turning off browser addons, deleting cookies, saved passwords, cached data etc has no effect and I still can't log in. There's *something* cached somewhere that just won't flipping sod off.

Edit to add: When I'm here in an incognito window there are 3 cookies, without ingognito there are 8, I click the padlock icon and delete them and then when I click the icon again it says I still have 4 although there's no entries for them in the little box. They seem to be invisible and defy any attempt at deletion.

Do you have multiple instances of Chrome running. I know Firefox can sometimes start multiple apps in the background.

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

I've been Googling and I see comments that Chrome can't do session cookies properly (or doesn't delete them properly afterwards). I can see here (in an incognito window) that it's not using session cookies any more but with Chrome proper it's still giving me a session cookie in the url.
I really am a biatch