State of the Forum

m4rkb

Re: State of the Forum

Post by m4rkb »

Basualdo wrote:Maybe we should have an active forum Twitter account. If just for info on this type of event.

Maybe we do, I don't know.

t'will be done as soon as the main forum is back proper.

We need something like the CIA concepted back in the 50's to always have communications in the event of a nuclear war. They called it the internet.

Failing that, can the owners place a full page ad in the Times next time it happens or book a series of ads on TalkSPORT.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Important question here. The user ids are being listed in the URL for all to see.

Is there a chance they can be hacked or simply added to any other URL string to get into the account?

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

LaaLaa wrote:
Basualdo wrote:Maybe we should have an active forum Twitter account. If just for info on this type of event.

I just remembered that a really long time ago Alex or Mark or Geezer gave me the password to the talkforum twitter account.
https://twitter.com/talkforumuk
I just had a look and it says "Account suspended". It wasn't me as I've never logged into the bloody thing. I wonder what was posted for that to happen?!

I think it was the fact that noting was posted for 6 months. They went through a purge of suspending/deleting inactive accounts. Corporate profit chasing bastards.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Didn't like a single Lineker post therefore shitcanned
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

m4rkb wrote:Important question here. The user ids are being listed in the URL for all to see.

Is there a chance they can be hacked or simply added to any other URL string to get into the account?

It's a cookie, it's just out in the open rather than hidden in your browsers cookie folder. Just make sure that if you're pasting the url to someone else, don't paste that part. They're called "session cookies" if you want to look into it yourself.

EDIT to add: Also, someone could access the forum as you if they dug the link out of your browser history, so clear your history if there's a nosy bastard who's likely to do that.
Last edited by LaaLaa on Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I really am a biatch

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

mark wrote:
LaaLaa wrote:

I just remembered that a really long time ago Alex or Mark or Geezer gave me the password to the talkforum twitter account.
https://twitter.com/talkforumuk
I just had a look and it says "Account suspended". It wasn't me as I've never logged into the bloody thing. I wonder what was posted for that to happen?!

I think it was the fact that noting was posted for 6 months. They went through a purge of suspending/deleting inactive accounts. Corporate profit chasing bastards.

They don't delete accounts for inactivity, one of those accounts Zambo posted hasn't made a post for 5 years.
I remember Alex had it set up so the forum randomly tweeted thread titles and links. It's possible one of the thread titles broke the twitter rules regarding racism, hate speech, etc because to say there's been a few fruity titles over the years would be an understatement, and the forum was just spewing threads out onto twitter for months/years. It was inevitable that some of the thread titles were beyond the pale for twitter.
I really am a biatch

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

Oh yes, I updated a couple of automated twitter feeds so yes, big chance that something objectionable to twitter might have got through.

No longer the Bridesmaid

Twitter = DS

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

Still chasing down the host provider to get this site address mismatch sorted. Their first attempt failed due to a 'glitch' so I talked them trough fixing it again this morning. They reckon that it can take up to 48 hours for the fix to take effect. I have set the counter.

subsub

Post by subsub »

mark wrote:Still chasing down the host provider to get this site address mismatch sorted. Their first attempt failed due to a 'glitch' so I talked them trough fixing it again this morning. They reckon that it can take up to 48 hours for the fix to take effect. I have set the counter.

Cheers, Mark :)
WOKE AND PROUD

No longer the Bridesmaid

Working now on the usual URL, thanks Mark. The err hordes will return!

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

Yeah, working for me at the proper url now.
I really am a biatch

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

Not working for me at the normal URL :rolleyes:

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Working now on the usual URL, thanks Mark. The err hordes will return!

LaaLaa wrote:Yeah, working for me at the proper url now.

I made some changes myself this morning as it seemed like the host company's changes weren't getting through. I forced a change of nameserver and within a couple of minutes I could see that the change was taking effect.

How fast it works for different people will depend on where your ISP goes to do DNS checks. This site will show how far across the world the change has propogated. The servers showing a connection to IP addess 23.229.203.186 now have the correct value assigned. It will take a day or two for them all to catch up, so much for advances in technology.

Next step, an upgrade for the code running the site. That might cause some changes to the look and feel of the site while I get all the changes applied.

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

You can use this page to check how far the updated DNS has travelled across the network.

https://dnschecker.org/#A/talkforum.co.uk