After Upgrade - A Reminder of Rules and an Update

mark
Forum Admin

After Upgrade - A Reminder of Rules and an Update

Post by mark »

Now that the main upgrade is complete there is still a bit of work to be done both on the technical side and as a family of users. So welcome back to everybody both those who were rudely interrupted by the upgrade, and those who have returned from further afield. As previously noted, it is a fresh start and a clean slate for everybody so please don't go fucking it up with stupid behaviours.

First the reminder. We do not have a big rule book as it wouldn't make sense. The main rules are here - https://talkforum.co.uk/app.php/rules
Rule 1a is our way of working
Rule 1b we inherit by being a website that allows user contributions and by using the phpBB forum software.

There are some other guides and hints and tips dotted around the forum and I will look to incorporate anything appropriate into that set of rules. The other thing to remember is that our rules apply across the site. The reality is that Pandemonium is deliberately moderated as lightly as possible where other sections may be moderated more closely due to subject matters.
BUT It is important to remember, there are no threads on here that adopt special conditions to allow users to ignore the application of rules on that section of the site.

Second the update.
We have now reached a point where our database is growing beyond the size that our hosting service allows. Therefore, we will have to start trimming some old threads and posts. To avoid that becoming a problem for users I will take a backup of the current database and then create a TalkForum Archive1. That will be another forum that will run alongside the main forum. Generally, it will be read only access but by request I will be able to grant individual users’ access to do things like searching that forum and quoting posts from the forum. The quoting will involve a manual process to reference a post from the archive forum to the main forum. There will not be any posting on the archive database.

Initially the archive forum will contain posts from 2014 to 2018. Although I will only initially trim posts from 2014 and 2015 off the main forum. But over time, as new posts are added some older posts will periodically need to be trimmed off the main forum. If we do reach the point where posts from 2019 need to be trimmed, I will set up Archive2

mark
Forum Admin

Re: After Upgrade - A Reminder and an Update

Post by mark »

The talkFORUM Archive is now available at http://archive1.talkforum.co.uk/index.php

The purpose is to allow us to have somewhere that older posts can be stored but still have them online for people to be able to read. For that reason the archive forum is set as read only and if you wish to post based on one of the posts on there the easiest way to do it is include a link to that post on a reply that you post on this forum. For reading purposes, the archive forum is organised exactly the same as this one. Some of the stats on there (like Latest Post are currently incorrect as they have been copied from this forum. I will work to sort out those inconsistencies).

This allows us to clear a bit of space on the main forum to allow for new posts and replies while keeping the size of the database below the limits that the hosting service sets on us. I have now started the process of pruning the oldest posts on this forum, the current rule of thumb is that any post that has not had a reply or new post added since 31st December 2016 will be pruned and no longer available to read on here. You will have to go to the archive forum to find them :wink: