TalkRadio V LBC

The place to discuss TalkRADIO
m4rkb

TalkRadio V LBC

Post by m4rkb »

Has anyone's listening habits changed since Talkradio became a rival to LBC?
Fans of speech radio hadn't got much of a choice before TR came along, it was either LBC or the BBC - mainly 5live or local radio.

I was an avid listener to Nick Ferrari in the mornings and if I missed him there was always the LBC podcast service which although on subscription was well worth the money for all the great shows I could rewind, but I do confess it was mainly for catching up with the NF Breakfast Show. I could just about suffer JOB depending on the subject matter but I'm afraid LBC usually went off from 1 onwards.

Iain Dale , although a competent political broadcaster only entertains mainstream political views from the three top parties and frankly despite what is said on here Durham and co do a better sports show on Talksport but since the swap to 24/7 sport I have almost never listened from 7pm onwards.

But I now find JHB's breakfast show to be as good as Ferrari's and it saves me having to retune away from Brexit obsessed JOB at 10am in favour of the always listenable IROMG which if I'm not mistaken proved to be the best rated overnight show - IN THE WORLD.
(This is if i'm in front of a DAB radio. If not- and it must be an age thing, if like Danny Kelly on Radio WM in the mornings.)

Jamie East from then on at 1pm is best swapped for H&J.

Then we have George Galloway who is such a competent and popular broadcaster (whether you agree with him or not) he's the go-to stand-in for anything and everything else when they are short of a presenter.

So for me LBC had lost a huge chunk of its listenership to Talkradio. I do however like Maajid Nawaz as I find him very sensible , engaging and able to tackle subjects which are 'out of reach' for other presenters.

Also some still think LBC is London based ,which it's not but for me it's now very left wing.

Holden Mcgroyne

Re: TalkRadio V LBC

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

Hard to break old habits and I can’t give up radio 4 or 5live before 9am. Can’t be doing with any advertising breaks at breakfast. The 9am phone in on 5live is usually some pc agenda nonsense which gives me the chance to listen to Ferrari or JHB. 10am on LBC jumped the shark long ago and is just 3 hours of hate filled bile from O’Brien to his echo chamber. Graham alongside whichever female oppo is a much better listen. There’s no more talkRADIO for me until 10pm when I listen occasionally to Iain Lee.
There's no poem, just prose.

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

In theory, Talkradio should pick up quite a few listeners from LBC. I'm not sure that has happened though for several reasons. Some people bemoan the lack of promotion, others complain that it's not on FM etc. But it is great to have an alternative to LBC, which seems to be stuck on the same two issues; and we all know what they are. :)
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote:Hard to break old habits and I can’t give up radio 4 or 5live before 9am. Can’t be doing with any advertising breaks at breakfast. The 9am phone in on 5live is usually some pc agenda nonsense which gives me the chance to listen to Ferrari or JHB. 10am on LBC jumped the shark long ago and is just 3 hours of hate filled bile from O’Brien to his echo chamber. Graham alongside whichever female oppo is a much better listen. There’s no more talkRADIO for me until 10pm when I listen occasionally to Iain Lee.

Can't argue with any of that Holden, and you're bang on about the constant hate filled bile from JoB. He's become almost un-listenable.

BBCR4 is still a decent listen as long as you realise it's pumping out a politicised agenda while pretending to be neutral, but favourably has no ads or traffic reports.

Talkradio in the evening though is weak, even with James Whale.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Darkyboy wrote:In theory, Talkradio should pick up quite a few listeners from LBC. I'm not sure that has happened though for several reasons. Some people bemoan the lack of promotion, others complain that it's not on FM etc. But it is great to have an alternative to LBC, which seems to be stuck on the same two issues; and we all know what they are. :)

I think it takes longer than expected to change people's listening habits once a particular show or station becomes an actual habit. Talkradio is heavily promoted by The Sun, having full pages devoted to drumming up listenership figures.

Global, the owners of LBC - as you could imagine by their name are pro EU. While Talkradio, in general, seems to take a Brexit stance.

I'd guess it won't be long before the divide is more apparent and Talkradio becomes more Fox News while LBC becomes more CNN.

MGA99

Post by MGA99 »

I can appreciate why JOB is marmite for many, he's like your Roy Keane or Sergio Ramos, if you're on the opposition you fucking loathe him but, if like me you're on his side, he is a tour de force of utter brilliance, yes he's Brexit obsessed but there's nobody else like him nailing it time after time anywhere on the dial, I venture to suggest those reviled by him for the Brexit overload are either genuinely bored by the subject or the fingers in ears dolts who still believe in Unicorns.

His Mystery Hour is entertaining as well and proves he is not a one trick pony.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

MGA99 wrote:I can appreciate why JOB is marmite for many, he's like your Roy Keane or Sergio Ramos, if you're on the opposition you fucking loathe him but, if like me you're on his side, he is a tour de force of utter brilliance, yes he's Brexit obsessed but there's nobody else like him nailing it time after time anywhere on the dial, I venture to suggest those reviled by him for the Brexit overload are either genuinely bored by the subject or the fingers in ears dolts who still believe in Unicorns.

It's his smug delivery style I cannot stand and the tone of his voice when he starts whispering at you, which is a shame really because what you say is quite right. I have no objection to well presented opposing viewpoints but his insistence people only voted Brexit because they don't like brown people as well as being clueless over what they voted for is both insulting and feeble.

MGA99

Post by MGA99 »

m4rkb wrote:
MGA99 wrote:I can appreciate why JOB is marmite for many, he's like your Roy Keane or Sergio Ramos, if you're on the opposition you fucking loathe him but, if like me you're on his side, he is a tour de force of utter brilliance, yes he's Brexit obsessed but there's nobody else like him nailing it time after time anywhere on the dial, I venture to suggest those reviled by him for the Brexit overload are either genuinely bored by the subject or the fingers in ears dolts who still believe in Unicorns.

It's his smug delivery style I cannot stand and the tone of his voice when he starts whispering at you, which is a shame really because what you say is quite right. I have no objection to well presented opposing viewpoints but his insistence people only voted Brexit because they don't like brown people as well as being clueless over what they voted for is both insulting and largely accurate.
:wink:

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

m4rkb wrote:
Darkyboy wrote:In theory, Talkradio should pick up quite a few listeners from LBC. I'm not sure that has happened though for several reasons. Some people bemoan the lack of promotion, others complain that it's not on FM etc. But it is great to have an alternative to LBC, which seems to be stuck on the same two issues; and we all know what they are. :)

I think it takes longer than expected to change people's listening habits once a particular show or station becomes an actual habit. Talkradio is heavily promoted by The Sun, having full pages devoted to drumming up listenership figures.

Global, the owners of LBC - as you could imagine by their name are pro EU. While Talkradio, in general, seems to take a Brexit stance.

I'd guess it won't be long before the divide is more apparent and Talkradio becomes more Fox News while LBC becomes more CNN.

You are right about people listening through habit. It's the same as people who still watch BBC or ITV regardless of what's being shown and in spite of there being much more choice these days. I hope Newscorp persist with Talkradio, because they have given airtime to a number of listenable presenters. To be honest, I think their roster is far more interesting than LBC's, who shackle their presenters into political mode way too much.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

MGA99 wrote:
m4rkb wrote:

It's his smug delivery style I cannot stand and the tone of his voice when he starts whispering at you, which is a shame really because what you say is quite right. I have no objection to well presented opposing viewpoints but his insistence people only voted Brexit because they don't like brown people as well as being clueless over what they voted for is both insulting and largely accurate.

Slight typo there.
I meant wholly inaccurate :D

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

m4rkb wrote:
MGA99 wrote:
m4rkb wrote:

Slight typo there.
I meant wholly inaccurate :D

Luckily the Remain brigade do not venture into this section. So you might get away with it. :)

shivah

Post by shivah »

JOB is just a faux left wing Jon Gaunt.
Grunt is a Chunt.