talkRADIO: An online video channel.

The place to discuss TalkRADIO
lambrini

talkRADIO: An online video channel.

Post by lambrini »

Article from the Daily Telegraph, December 2019:
Staff at talkRadio are appealing to ­Rupert Murdoch to save them from a planned “Radio 4 rebrand” that it is feared will alienate listeners.

News UK has been preparing to ­relaunch the station as Times Radio. Station staff were originally told the change would happen at the end of the year, but that executives are now working towards the end of March, although no final decisions have been made.

According to insiders, the plans are driven partly by News UK’s desire to improve returns from its radio division, acquired in the £220m takeover of Wireless Group three years ago. While talkRadio has a growing weekly audience of more than 400,000, it is dwarfed by rival LBC and makes losses.

As part of the potential rebrand, ­executives intend to fund more of the station’s budget out of The Times’s marketing costs, easing financial pressure on the remainder of Wireless Group.

The business also includes talkSport, which spends heavily on live football rights, and Virgin Radio, which spends heavily on breakfast presenter Chris Evans. Sources at talkRadio said the plan threatens to “crater” the station’s mainstream audience.

The Times is in line to take editorial control as part of the plans and is expected to move the station upmarket into “Radio 4 lifestyle territory”. Executives have discussed the survival of the talkRadio brand as an online video channel.

Now talkRadio staff have pinned their hopes on Mr Murdoch’s visit to the operation on election night.

An insider said: “We’re clinging to the hope that Rupert loved it and will decide that it isn’t broken and doesn’t need fixing.”

A News UK spokesman said: “TalkRADIO has grown its audience and has presenters that are well loved by their listeners. We are exploring ways to work more closely with The Times across the station.”

According to Mike Graham, listeners will soon be able to watch his show live, presumably on YouTube. Meanwhile, Matthew Wright publicly cast doubt on his future at the station*

Will talkRADIO survive? Will you the new online channel? What is the future for the Wireless Group franchise including talkSPORT?
I wonder what Murdoch thought of talkRADIO's Election Night Special... Lol.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... imes-radio
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
You're not alone
I'll wait 'til the end of time
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

Vespa

Re: talkRADIO: An online video channel.

Post by Vespa »

I use listen to radio all the time, last few years it's almost exclusively podcasts.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Vespa wrote:I use listen to radio all the time, last few years it's almost exclusively podcasts.

Same here. I used to listen to LBC, talkSPORT and BBC 6 Music all the time; Nick Abbot, and Ian Collins (with 'Chessy') were my favourite talk shows.
I still enjoy Iggy Pop's Confidential on 6 now and again, but can't warm to talkRADIO, to be honest. The platform almost seems... pointless? I don't know.
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

lambrini wrote:
Vespa wrote:I use listen to radio all the time, last few years it's almost exclusively podcasts.

Same here. I used to listen to LBC, talkSPORT and BBC 6 Music all the time; Nick Abbot, and Ian Collins (with 'Chessy') were my favourite talk shows.
I still enjoy Iggy Pop's Confidential on 6 now and again, but can't warm to talkRADIO, to be honest. The platform almost seems... pointless? I don't know.

My only problem with podcasts is that you're essentially curating your own World view through selection.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Vespa wrote:
lambrini wrote:

My only problem with podcasts is that you're essentially curating your own World view through selection.

Good point. YouTube, too. Creates echo chambers, etc.
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Vespa wrote:
lambrini wrote:

A good point. But at least there's a choice. If you want one. If you don't then that's up to you.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Erskine Might

Post by Erskine Might »

I tend to listen carefully to podcasts, giving them my full attention. A lot of the time I want live radio, talk rather than music, for something to have on while I'm doing something like cooking or whatever it is. 5Live used to be okay for that but then it became so ridiculously 'down wiv da kids' and dogmatically pc that I moved to TalkSport for its unintentional amusement. Now even that is going the same way, or else Dum-Dum is ranting like a loon. It's a shame. As for showing the likes of Mike Graham online, purleezze, take it away. Watching a radio show is right up there among the most pointless things one can do.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

MG's eyes are darting all over the place and he looks very uncomfortable. MG is a Radio Host. The video doesn't bring
anything to the table unless things gets heated with a guest.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.