Talking the talk: how speech radio brings culture wars to the airwaves

The place to discuss TalkRADIO
lambrini

Talking the talk: how speech radio brings culture wars to the airwaves

Post by lambrini »

Anti-woke commentary and 'culture wars' began several years ago amidst the gamergate controversy.
Today talkRADIO presenters, including Mike Graham and Julia Hartley-Brewer, style themselves as pro-Brexit and anti-woke Cavaliers to appeal to Karen in Southend-on-Sea and Ken in Exeter. As The Observer's Jim Waterson writes:

If there is a place where mainstream media outlets bump into the frontline of Britain’s online culture wars, then commercial speech radio might be it. The sector is booming thanks to changes in listening ­habits driven by online listening and smart speakers, social media-driven debates, and a growing desire for US-style punchy political commentary after the Brexit referendum. Scott Taunton, who runs News UK’s radio division, accepts political slant is an issue in an environment built around big personalties: “When you get into opinion-led broadcasting, you have a tendency to have presenters who come more from the right of centre. The important thing for us is to balance that out through guests.”

Constraints have prompted internal speculation that at some point talkRadio could be tempted to cast off Ofcom and become online-only, creating shows in the style of US podcast giant Joe Rogan.

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... e-airwaves
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
You're not alone
I'll wait 'til the end of time
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

Eaststand

Re: Talking the talk: how speech radio brings culture wars to the airwaves

Post by Eaststand »

OPINIONS ARE ILLEGAL GUISE.

unless we like them.
Build Back More Betterer

The Doctor Is In

Post by The Doctor Is In »

Hopefully someone cancels talkRADIO

Bring back Charlie Wolf, that dull as fuck Irishman and Mike Rutherford from Genesis.
Peace and Love

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

The 'culture war' isn't mainstream isn't likely to be. It's just a online nerdfest of people who want to complain about other people.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Vespa wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:54 pmIt's just a online nerdfest of people who want to complain about other people.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Partly true! However, elements of the culture war have seeped into mainstream consciousness, including the backlash against social justice, and talkRADIO are taking advantage. Fair play, I suppose.
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

lambrini wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:16 pm
Vespa wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:54 pmIt's just a online nerdfest of people who want to complain about other people.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Partly true! However, elements of the culture war have seeped into mainstream consciousness, including the backlash against social justice, and talkRADIO are taking advantage. Fair play, I suppose.
I kinda wonder part of social justice people don't like.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

yeah this is going to get big now.
Build Back More Betterer

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Vespa wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:43 pm
pretty much all of it.
Build Back More Betterer

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Genuine social justice will always be needed in society. To me, warranted examples include women's suffrage (Votes For Women, the Girls of Enghelab Street), the USA's civl rights movement, and the legalisation of homosexuality in 1967 and same-sex marriage in 2014. Faux social justice, however, and by that I mean individuals who use it to rally against non-existent oppression and inequality and censor people whom they don't agree with, is entirely different.
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

/\ ie, pretty much all social justice nowadays
Build Back More Betterer

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

lambrini wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:35 pm
Genuine social justice will always be needed in society. To me, warranted examples include women's suffrage (Votes For Women, the Girls of Enghelab Street), the USA's civl rights movement, and the legalisation of homosexuality in 1967 and same-sex marriage in 2014. Faux social justice, however, and by that I mean individuals who use it to rally against non-existent oppression and inequality and censor people whom they don't agree with, is entirely different.
Yeah but what part of 'social justice' do people object to? It seems to mean most of the objections to 'social justice' are people making fun out of dumb shit said on the Internet rather than any serious social justice movement or they just have a deeply ill-informed opinion.

For example, I remember well known 'anti-social justice' clickbait merchant Carl Benigimen jumping on the bandwagon to denounce Tesco's being taken to court because of a gender pay gap.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ll-to-1000

His position was the same as many ill-informed anti-social justice Internet welfare addicts - pay discrimination is illegal therefore it doesn't happen. When in fact the same case had ruled that Asda and Morrisons had discriminated against a predominately female workforce in shops because they paid a lower wage to a predominantly male workforce in distribution centres - wherein both essentially were paid to stack shelves and therefore fell under the pay for equal work product doctrine.

Carl and his chums also overlooked the basic fact that male shop workers benefited from such judgements.

I note SJW has now been replaced by Marxist

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Vespa wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:57 pm
lambrini wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:35 pm
Yeah but what part of 'social justice' do people object to? It seems to mean most of the objections to 'social justice' are people making fun out of dumb shit said on the Internet rather than any serious social justice movement or they just have a deeply ill-informed opinion.

For example, I remember well known 'anti-social justice' clickbait merchant Carl Benigimen jumping on the bandwagon to denounce Tesco's being taken to court because of a gender pay gap.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ll-to-1000

His position was the same as many ill-informed anti-social justice Internet welfare addicts - pay discrimination is illegal therefore it doesn't happen. When in fact the same case had ruled that Asda and Morrisons had discriminated against a predominately female workforce in shops because they paid a lower wage to a predominantly male workforce in distribution centres - wherein both essentially were paid to stack shelves and therefore fell under the pay for equal work product doctrine.

Carl and his chums also overlooked the basic fact that male shop workers benefited from such judgements.

I note SJW has now been replaced by Marxist
Fair enough, Tesco were wrong and rightly taken to court. This is why social justice is needed.
Where it isn't needed, however, is in gaming (female stereotypes should be dismantled) and company branding (the face of Uncle Ben's rice is a 'racist caricature'). Why create problems that don't exist? Perhaps some social justice advocates find it easier to fight storms in teacups rather than genuine issues.
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

shivah

Post by shivah »

The Doctor Is In wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:59 pm Hopefully someone cancels talkRADIO

Bring back Charlie Wolf, that dull as fuck Irishman and Mike Rutherford from Genesis.
Wolf has had karma inflicted on him. Parkinsons.
Grunt is a Chunt.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

shivah wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:30 pm
The Doctor Is In wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:59 pm Hopefully someone cancels talkRADIO

Awful. Poor bloke. Didn't he have cancer as well?
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

shivah

Post by shivah »

lambrini wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:18 am
shivah wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:30 pm

Awful. Poor bloke. Didn't he have cancer as well?
Yeah a few years ago now.

If you think I'm harsh, Wolf was the one sneering with delight over the death of a demonstrator when Israeli tanks were bulldozing Palestine. He called her scum. Well to me, Wolf is scum. And I do hope he's not getting his treatment from his hated NHS.
Grunt is a Chunt.