World Cup General Stuff

Carlos J
Forum Admin

World Cup General Stuff

Post by Carlos J »

Thought a thread for general stuff not related to game threads.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Bad Blue 2000

Re: World Cup General Stuff

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

WC 1990.
Bought 'World in Motion' 12" and 12" remix. Bought the t-shirt as well.
My first ever time in a pub.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Got an England shirt from then, bought it a few years after from a charity shop for a couple of quid.

One thing good to see back is countries playing in their proper kit. The farce of 2014 where one country was in all one colour and the other in another because it looked better on TV was rightly fucked off

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Dear Eurovision told Danny Kelly and TS off for calling the show 'Danny Kelly's Eurovision' or similar, now the 'Trans Europe Express'. Not the same, but the heart shaped flags pre-match remind me of Eurovision:

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:WC 1990.

Italia ‘90 seems to be universally held up as THE ultimately memorable World Cup finals (if you take away 1966 which many of us weren’t around for). I happen to have really enjoyed it too but I don’t know why this is. Was it World In Motion, real household greats like Gullit, Van Basten, Gazza, Klinsmann and Maradona, the aitslian game which was the best in the world or anything else? I’ve watched all the World Cups since 1978 and they’ve all been memorable in their own way?

On the subject of these finals, I’ve not really looked forward to it as I have the previous ones. The novelty isn’t really there nor the build up. Could be a host of reasons such as age, wall to wall coverage not just on TS but other news networks, the fact that football has long ceased being the ‘peoples’ game’, the astronomical wages or that there are no real global superstars other than Messi and Ronnie.

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Monique 1998 say no more,nudge nudge,wink wink
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Once upon a time having football on every day was a bit of a novelty, as was seeing exotic foreigners you'd only read about in the papers. This isn't much different from the Premier League now, though.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

JimmyDee wrote:Once upon a time having football on every day was a bit of a novelty, as was seeing exotic foreigners you'd only read about in the papers. This isn't much different from the Premier League now, though.

I utterly hate the way football is now part of the relentless, daily mainstream showbiz diet which is intrusive and subliminal. I actually have contempt for the BBC because on TS you expect mindless football shite and am accustomed to it but on 5Dead, the cunts don’t bother to cover news. It really should only be covered at twenty minutes past the hour for two minutes and that should be our lot, not on the hour, the main news headline and fucking Burden wetting her panties over Karius dropping a bollock.

There’s something so wrong with it.

subsub

Post by subsub »

1982 was the first World Cup I watched.
So many brilliant moments:
- Robson scoring in the first minute against France
- Eder's goal against Russia
- Scotland going 1-0 up against Brazil then getting a shellacking
- Paolo Rossi v Brazil
- Maradona sent off for stamping on the knackers of a Brazilian player
- France v W Germany semi
- Tardelli's celebration in the final
WOKE AND PROUD

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

subsub wrote:1982 was the first World Cup I watched.
- Paolo Rossi v Brazil

Was watching the official FIFA video of Espana 82 and some more wonderful memories such as the phantom whilstle in France vs Kuwait, Falcao, Socrates, Zico et al for Brazil, Cabrini kicking Maradona all match, getting sent off against Brazil, Tardelli and Rossi in the final and the semi final between West Germany and France. Wonderful days.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

kancutlawns wrote:

Italia ‘90 seems to be universally held up as THE ultimately memorable World Cup finals (if you take away 1966 which many of us weren’t around for). I happen to have really enjoyed it too but I don’t know why this is. Was it World In Motion, real household greats like Gullit, Van Basten, Gazza, Klinsmann and Maradona, the aitslian game which was the best in the world or anything else? I’ve watched all the World Cups since 1978 and they’ve all been memorable in their own way?

On the subject of these finals, I’ve not really looked forward to it as I have the previous ones. The novelty isn’t really there nor the build up. Could be a host of reasons such as age, wall to wall coverage not just on TS but other news networks, the fact that football has long ceased being the ‘peoples’ game’, the astronomical wages or that there are no real global superstars other than Messi and Ronnie.

I think it's a part nostalgia thing and because England got to the semis. England though stank through an awful group, Platty last minute v Belgium, two pens from the boy Lineacre v Cameroon and actually played well in parts v West Germany.

The rest of the tournament wasn't much better and an awful final. Aside the choppping of Cannigia by Massing RIP, Cameroon's win over the Argies, Costa Rica beating Scotland, Higuita fucking up to allow Milla to score and Schillaci's efforts there wasn't much memorable about it.

Paolo was there and Pete Davies' 'All Played Out' is an excellent read.

Brazil in 82 were a dream. Loved that World Cup from distant memory:

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

- Paolo Rossi v Brazil

Yep. As above, plus the Kuwaiti's coming off the pitch (see Kancut mentioned that) and the Austria v Germany farce.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Carlos J wrote:
- Paolo Rossi v Brazil

Yep. As above, plus the Kuwaiti's coming off the pitch and the Austria v Germany farce.

And this, of course....

Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Yes indeed, Bas. And then wee Norman Whiteside still the youngest player in a World Cup.

And was it Hungary beating El Salvador 10-1 I think.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Carlos J wrote:
kancutlawns wrote:

I think it's a part nostalgia thing and because England got to the semis. England though stank through an awful group, Platty last minute v Belgium, two pens from the boy Lineacre v Cameroon and actually played well in parts v West Germany.

The rest of the tournament wasn't much better and an awful final. Aside the choppping of Cannigia by Massing RIP, Cameroon's win over the Argies, Costa Rica beating Scotland, Higuita fucking up to allow Milla to score and Schillaci's efforts there wasn't much memorable about it.

Paolo was there and Pete Davies' 'All Played Out' is an excellent read.

Brazil in 82 were a dream. Loved that World Cup from distant memory:

Massing taking out Caniggia was probably the most memorable foul of any World Cup finals I can remember, probably with the exception of Klismnann’s treble back somersault by Monzon in the final of the same tournament. That two of Massing’s team mates tried unsuccessfully to break the marauding solo by the long haired Argentinian striker only exacerbated the scandalous chest high assault. He lost a boot in the process and the French ref gave him only a yellow!

He was shown a red later though but yes, aside from a few nuggets like England vs Germany, conclusion of Belgium, quarter final vs Cameroon and even the third place play off against Italy, as well as the incendiary Holland vs Germany knock out match, the football was generally forgettable. The Ireland matches were good though.