Best Tournament ever so far?

black_guardian

Re: Best Tournament ever so far?

Post by black_guardian »

Spain 82, Mexico 86 and France 98 in that order

Euro 96, Euro 88 and Euro 2000

Euro 88 stands out for there not being a single player sent off, a goalless draw or a match that went to extra time. Never happened since in a WC or Euros
<Doctor...you will die for this...!>

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

didnt know that. I dont remember that one, I was 6. Vaguely remember 90.
Build Back More Betterer

Two Crows

Post by Two Crows »

Eaststand wrote:
Two Crows wrote:Before anyone thinks I'm really old I was only in my early thirties when the World Cup took place in France 1938.

Italy beating Hungary 4-2 in a fantastic final in Paris. Fabulous tournament overall.

I remember thinking at the time "this World Cup thing" could become big for sure.

You sure were right. And posting at over a hundred years old, fucken fair fecks to yas

:lol:
Dieu Le Roi.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Eaststand wrote:
subsub wrote:
The End wrote:
Eaststand wrote:Thats my view, calm it down, dont turn this into a troll session. Theres no wrong or right. I think we have been, move on. This threads not for that.

Why load it with your daft England comment then?

Dont start a threat with a comment that will get commented upon then whinge. That's actually stupid.

Exactly.
Baiting with stuff like that then bleating about it afterwards.
Classic internet forum tactic, unfortunately… :rolleyes:

Contribute to the thread, dont ruin it please mate, troll me in the england thread if you want to do that.

I'm not trolling you. Blimey, I wish you'd understand that.
Trolling is saying something that I DON'T mean for an effect. But I DO mean it.
You know perfectly well that slipping an "England underwhelming" comment is designed to provoke - don't pretend it isn't, we're not that daft. But you continue to do it then cry foul when other forumers pick you up on it. Weird.
WOKE AND PROUD

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Well you are that daft. It isnt. If, as you have been, followed any of my posts on this tournament, you would know that any assessment of this tournament would include my clear disappointment of englands performance so far. It would be ludicrous not to, as Ive been so vocal about it.

And what are you trying to do? You think england are doing great, good for you. Im not running around trying to force you into thinking theyre doing shit, you carry on having your opinion. Dont try and force me into thinking theyre doing great though and telling me my opinion is tedious. That is trolling. I havent said "hahahaa what an idiot he thinks england are playing well" once.

Have your opinion mate, but dont try and force me into thinking how you think, and stop trying to ruin threads.
Build Back More Betterer

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Okay girls. Just relax and agree to disagree.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

exactly.

Thats what im fecking saying and have been for some time.
Build Back More Betterer

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

black_guardian wrote:Spain 82, Mexico 86 and France 98 in that order
Euro 96, Euro 88 and Euro 2000
Euro 88 stands out for there not being a single player sent off, a goalless draw or a match that went to extra time. Never happened since in a WC or Euros

Simliar chat on the 'General thread' about World Cups and most old enough love Spain 82: https://talkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=29835

Interesting about Euro 88, can't remember much bar wee Ray Houghton. the Dutch and van Basten's goal that lives on. God bless the CCCP though.

Euro 2000 was excellent and always felt for the Italian's. Superb defence with Cannavaro, Nesta and Maldini bummed late and golden goal. Plus, the BBC intro was superb:

Euro 96. A blissful month. A Paddy Kluivert consolation goal, the hammer for the Scotch: :smt044 :smt044

Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

90 was sublime agony
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

I think it's too early to say. Plus one has to take in account many factors. The games, the players, the pannini sticker albums, the England song (there isn't one this time), the media coverage, the kits, the ball, iconic moments, and possibly the most important factor: where you are in your own life and headspace... let's just wait and see, that's all I'am saying. For me, even though I was very young Spain '82 is my personal favourite, followed by Italia '90 and then Mexico '86. I've really enjoyed this WC, it's been good.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Eaststand wrote:stop trying to ruin threads.

Whatever you say, Landlord… :rolleyes:
WOKE AND PROUD

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

carcinogen wrote:I think it's too early to say. Plus one has to take in account many factors. The games, the players, the pannini sticker albums, the England song (there isn't one this time), the media coverage, the kits, the ball, iconic moments, and possibly the most important factor: where you are in your own life and headspace... let's just wait and see, that's all I'am saying. For me, even though I was very young Spain '82 is my personal favourite, followed by Italia '90 and then Mexico '86. I've really enjoyed this WC, it's been good.

Wise words, carc.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

subsub

Post by subsub »

carcinogen wrote:I think it's too early to say. Plus one has to take in account many factors. The games, the players, the pannini sticker albums, the England song (there isn't one this time), the media coverage, the kits, the ball, iconic moments, and possibly the most important factor: where you are in your own life and headspace... let's just wait and see, that's all I'am saying. For me, even though I was very young Spain '82 is my personal favourite, followed by Italia '90 and then Mexico '86. I've really enjoyed this WC, it's been good.

Yep, Spain 82 for me.
I think people have an overly nostalgic view of Italia 90 just because of how well England did - the standard of football was pretty shit for the most part, I seem to remember, just that the iconic bits outweighed all that (Gazza, Schillaci, Voller vs Rijkaard etc)
WOKE AND PROUD

antdad

Post by antdad »

Fell in love twice in '82, to Clair Saddler a pretty little blonde and football...came back from school and watched the Brazil v Italy game and I was hooked especially to that Brazilian side...Socrates the chain smoking doctor, Paulo Rossi the hatrick scoring match fixer, Zico that magical ball bender and Gentile the Maradona muncher. In '82 for those old enough to remember they uniquely had two group phases with the semi finalists coming straight from the winners of the the second groups of three. Brazil, Argentina, Italy...now that really was a group of death.

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

Here's a sort of half time report on my blog.

I have mixed feelings about the finals.

I am evolving into someone who loves the event but actually finds the football frustrating and in some cases, tedious.

I do acknowledge that finals often / usually get better as they progress;

https://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/footb ... -cup-2018/