Best Tournament ever so far?

m4rkb

Re: Best Tournament ever so far?

Post by m4rkb »

Two Crows wrote:Before anyone thinks I'm really old I was only in my early thirties when the World Cup took place in France 1938.

Italy beating Hungary 4-2 in a fantastic final in Paris. Fabulous tournament overall.

I remember thinking at the time "this World Cup thing" could become big for sure.

Massive hats off to you 2C's. You should be given privileged status on here. I thought you were a man of the 70's like me given your WBA avatar.

Here's to the next 50 years :drinkers:

lasharoo

Post by lasharoo »

I'm holding judgement until the knockout stages pan out but I have to say, so far, this WC has been awesome, right up there with italia 90 and mehico 86, I can count on the nipples of one tit the amount of boring games that have happened (yes England, I'm looking at you) and even then it was semi exciting.........btw, newsflash for the Corbynistas in the balliwick, I have taken a straw poll among some compadres about birds talking about football, and the vote was an overwhelming "they are shit, fuck off with this PC crap"

:smt023
'This is all your doing, Lash, no one else'

Reg

Post by Reg »

lasharoo wrote:I'm holding judgement until the knockout stages pan out but I have to say, so far, this WC has been awesome, right up there with italia 90 and mehico 86, I can count on the nipples of one tit the amount of boring games that have happened (yes England, I'm looking at you) and even then it was semi exciting.........btw, newsflash for the Corbynistas in the balliwick, I have taken a straw poll among some compadres about birds talking about football, and the vote was an overwhelming "they are shit, fuck off with this PC crap"

The football at Italia 90 was awful.

Even FIFA acknowledged that, and made some rule changes to try to discourage negative tactics and dirty play.

The final itself was absolutely dreadful.

England’s tournament is distorted in the memory by the drama of the semi-final, but other matches, like the Belgium one, were dire.
Roy IN!!

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

lasharoo wrote:I'm holding judgement until the knockout stages pan out but I have to say, so far, this WC has been awesome, right up there with italia 90 and mehico 86, I can count on the nipples of one tit the amount of boring games that have happened (yes England, I'm looking at you) and even then it was semi exciting.........btw, newsflash for the Corbynistas in the balliwick, I have taken a straw poll among some compadres about birds talking about football, and the vote was an overwhelming "they are shit, fuck off with this PC crap"

hell yeah.

Watch vicki sparks be the commentator of the final. this is gonna happen
Build Back More Betterer

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Reg wrote:

Even FIFA acknowledged that, and made some rule changes to try to discourage negative tactics and dirty play.

England’s tournament is distorted in the memory by the drama of the semi-final, but other matches, like the Belgium one, were dire.

Not to mention the three group games. Think the first couple were draws and needed a winner in a desperately poor match against Egypt to go through. Cameroon were a better side than us in the semi finals.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

kancutlawns wrote:
Reg wrote:

Not to mention the three group games. Think the first couple were draws and needed a winner in a desperately poor match against Egypt to go through. Cameroon were a better side than us in the semi finals.
The England match against the Republic of Ireland was the worst international game I have ever seen and one of the worst games of football I have ever seen. And I have watched Portadown.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

kancutlawns wrote:
Reg wrote:

Sorry - quarter finals.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Basualdo wrote:
kancutlawns wrote:
Reg wrote:

The England match against the Republic of Ireland was the worst international game I have ever seen and one of the worst games of football I have ever seen. And I have watched Portadown.

Think they turned us over in Euro '88 where we were utter turd - in all our three group games.

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

It has been the best for the unemployed.
Time wise.
You can only live in the world you know.The rest is just wishful thinking or paranoia.

"We shall not go to Canossa!"

lasharoo

Post by lasharoo »

Reg wrote:

I think my view of italia 90 is biased because I went to it Reg, football wise the the group stages were awful and overall the standard was not the best, but the event itself was unbelievable.
'This is all your doing, Lash, no one else'

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Two good games. Tension as always, goals galore in the first and more tension in the second and lLove the ET and penalties in the knock out rounds, but nothing has disappointed.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?