THE FINAL! : France v Eng..erm..Croatia.

tennisman

Re: THE FINAL! : France v Eng..erm..Croatia.

Post by tennisman »

My mate who lived in Mayenne near Rennes for 5 years says that the following for football is much greater than the 'France is a rugby nation' line would make out.

There is no argument about the relative strength overall of the top French clubs in relation to the other main European leagues but this adds to an argument that the national team has done pretty well, I'd say.

The weekly football magazine France Football has been going since 1946, starting before Charles Buchan and Soccer Star magazines began here in the early 50's.

Mayenne above (known as Laval) are in National Championship (tier 3) - Rennes in Ligue 1 (tier 1).

Here's the rest of the french pyramid which is pretty comprehensive;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_fo ... gue_system

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

I remebèr st etienne were good in the 80s. You never hear about them now.
Man U and rangers

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

Carlos J wrote:
theleader82 wrote:France is more of a rugby country. That's why the french league has never been very strong.

Rugby is more popular in the south of France, leader. And in Paris. Football is popular all over. Tennis is second according to Mr Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_in_France

Cycling is amazingly popular in the Med countries as an individual sport, hence the love of Le Tour. And nowt wrong with a game of Pétanque, over 300k players.

And it could be that their best players get bought up by richer clubs of other countries. Remember Platini at Juve?

https://www.rugbyworld.com/countries/fr ... port-58934
Man U and rangers

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

lasharoo wrote:
subsub wrote:Yep, a good tournament with lots of good memories.
Just waiting for the tears from the Blues Bruvvaz when Hazard and Pickford hand in transfer requests :mrgreen:

I fail to see how that affects Sutton United :wink:

And Pickford didn’t do as well yer English meeja would have you believe.

One clean sheet in seven games, two of them against little more than pub teams.... :roll:

He is a very good goalkeeper but no more than that.

Besides....where would he go?

Only one of last season’s top five have an inferior goalie......and he won’t be getting sold to that particular team :drinkers:
Last edited by Petingo on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

I think the big loser in this World Cup, paradoxically, is PSG.

Mbappe is not going to hang around playing in a one team league for long after this....he needs a bigger stage now.

Madrid will probably chase him to replace CR7.....if not this summer them certainly next.

Even the uber fraud Neymar looks like leaving sooner rather than later.

The Arab owners must be scratching their heads......assembling a team like PSG and playing in the French league is like buying Frankel and running him in selling plates at Yarmouth or Catterick.

PSG is fast becoming a home for short term mercenaries who can’t be arsed going to China.

I bet Lukaku signs for them next summer :D
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

theleader82 wrote:I remebèr st etienne were good in the 80s. You never hear about them now.

They were better in the 70s.....they had a great team with Revelli, Santini and the dashing Domenique Rocheteau.

I remember them playing and epic semi final in the European Cup versus Liverpool in 1977.

The season before they were beaten finalists.

I remember Manchester United hooligans misbehaved at the away leg and they had to play the return game in Plymouth in the later 70s :lol:

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

lasharoo wrote:
Carlos J wrote:When I was as a good Mod reading the old World Cup threads pre-tournament, also saw this one. Apart from "Deutschland uber alles", the seer of SoCal gets it almost spot on: https://talkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f ... 90#p644364
Petingo wrote:I think the upshot of this World Cup is that we will never see a Sud American team win the World Cup again in our lifetimes.

Brazilian football is a busted flush.

Argentina have always had a more European style but without home advantage and the magic of Diego they would probably never have won their two World Cups.

It will be a long time before they ever host it again, if ever and Diego was unique, the Argies won't see a boy like him again.

Nor will anyone else comes to that.

The fact that all the best young Brazilian players are heading to Europe at a very young age means they are being coached in the European way and when it comes to the WC the Brazilians no longer have the capacity to surprise anyone.

The field has levelled and into the breach strides Der Fatherland.

Even at this early stage I would say it is hard to see them not being favourites and actually winning the 2018 renewal in Russia.

Deutschland uber alles.

All hail the Melling wordsmith :prayer:

:lol:

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

I can't add much more and agree completely with my friend, the Rt. Hon member for Liverpool Irish.

But here's a Scottish football thread for a little insight in to the Jocks (and maybe Micks and Taffs too).

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/inde ... e/&page=63
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.