New built houses are rubbish.

You'll get the gist quick enough. Feel free to vent about life's rich tapestry and how it pisses you off. But steer clear of other forum members or you will be the target of a virtual kick up the arse.
VeritasVincit

New built houses are rubbish.

Post by VeritasVincit »

Mine isn’t brand-new, it was about 8 years old when I moved in and is now about 13 years old. But the faults are becoming more obvious.

The lawns the builders laid down; dreadful. The cheapest turf and full of weeds.
The paved paths started to show unevenness and some are now an obstacle course.
Then the ridge-tile mortar started to fall out. Fortunately this was just inside the house-builders warranty period so their insurers paid for repairs. The repairers told me that the wrong mortar had been used. most of the houses on the estate had to have this repair. Some unfortunately after ridge-tiles had blown off in a gale. My brother, down the street on the same estate, had the tiles crash down on his car, wrecking both sides, top, boot and bonnet. It took expert body workers a good while to fix it.
Then the back garden wooden gatepost; in winter it’s OK but when its warm and dry, it warps so the gate won’t close properly.
Large lengths of the skirting boards have started to develop cracks between them and the wall.
When I decided to buy a new gas-fire, the fitter found that it was literally balanced on almost nothing. There was just a hole, about a food deep under it. he had to fill this before he could fit the new one.
Attaching things to the walls is fraught with problems. After a while the plugs, the correct ones for the type of wall, start to come away with some of the plaster.
Lastly [for the present, but I am not hopeful] the frame of the kitchen patio door has started to literally fall apart and is now held together with Gorilla Glue until the new one arrives and is fitted.

I wonder sometimes if they design these places so that any faults escape the gaze of the surveyors and don’t become apparent for a while, when they will deny all blame.

I forgot the central heating which failed within a week of moving in on the coldest night of the winter.

Eaststand

Re: New built houses are rubbish.

Post by Eaststand »

You wonder? Of course they do that.

Bare minimum for maximum profit. Once they've got your money, they don't give a shit.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Build Back More Betterer

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

My mates a carpenter and runs sites for one of the Nationals.

He admits all the construction company is bothered about is the speed that the work is done, and quality is not a second thought

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Gas fires are supposed to have holes behind them
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Reg

Post by Reg »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Gas fires are supposed to have holes behind them

Even in a soomberine?
Roy IN!!

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Leasehold on new build houses. A fucking liberty, at least the Government stopped that: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/crac ... actices--2
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Some of my paving jobs were entirely new roads on estates. One I remember was in Dover, where the estate was built in stages, and the "old" houses I hed to drive past to get to the new bit were already falling apart on the outside; rendering falling away from the walls and so on. The remarkable thing, if you've ever watched a new build under construction, is that it takes weeks and weeks to prepare the ground and footings, but the actual house is thrown up almost instantly in comparison.
Anyone remember Moss Side in Manchester? Those old Victorian "slums" took some knocking down, and it would probably have been cheaper to convert them into something a bit nicer AND I dare say with more life in them.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Gas fires are supposed to have holes behind them

But surely not a foot deep with hardly anything supporting the actual fire.
The fitter for the new fire nearly had apoplexy when he found it.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

VeritasVincit wrote:

But surely not a foot deep with hardly anything supporting the actual fire.
The fitter for the new fire nearly had apoplexy when he found it.

Surprised he didn't ask if Fred West was a previous occupant.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

subsub

Post by subsub »

VeritasVincit wrote:Mine isn’t brand-new, it was about 8 years old when I moved in and is now about 13 years old. But the faults are becoming more obvious.

The lawns the builders laid down; dreadful. The cheapest turf and full of weeds.
Then the ridge-tile mortar started to fall out. Fortunately this was just inside the house-builders warranty period so their insurers paid for repairs. The repairers told me that the wrong mortar had been used. most of the houses on the estate had to have this repair. Some unfortunately after ridge-tiles had blown off in a gale. My brother, down the street on the same estate, had the tiles crash down on his car, wrecking both sides, top, boot and bonnet. It took expert body workers a good while to fix it.
Then the back garden wooden gatepost; in winter it’s OK but when its warm and dry, it warps so the gate won’t close properly.
Large lengths of the skirting boards have started to develop cracks between them and the wall.
When I decided to buy a new gas-fire, the fitter found that it was literally balanced on almost nothing. There was just a hole, about a food deep under it. he had to fill this before he could fit the new one.
Attaching things to the walls is fraught with problems. After a while the plugs, the correct ones for the type of wall, start to come away with some of the plaster.
Lastly [for the present, but I am not hopeful] the frame of the kitchen patio door has started to literally fall apart and is now held together with Gorilla Glue until the new one arrives and is fitted.

I wonder sometimes if they design these places so that any faults escape the gaze of the surveyors and don’t become apparent for a while, when they will deny all blame.

I forgot the central heating which failed within a week of moving in on the coldest night of the winter.

I AM THE CHAIRMAN OF GALLIARD HOMES etc
WOKE AND PROUD

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

subsub wrote:
VeritasVincit wrote:Mine isn’t brand-new, it was about 8 years old when I moved in and is now about 13 years old. But the faults are becoming more obvious.

I AM THE CHAIRMAN OF GALLIARD HOMES etc

Then you are relieved of criticism by me. You didn't throw up mine.

Northern Troglodite

Post by Northern Troglodite »

On the plus side ............can you imagine how bad they will be in another 20 years :D :D

Always a positive see !!!
Bring on "The Clutcher :)

genehunt1973

Post by genehunt1973 »

you look at the old pre war houses most are built double headers? so built stronger and built to last ,I go on sites now and some of the materials they use is shocking ,esp for the prices they charge
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

I'm thinking of buying a new build. I know some people aren't keen but they come with en suite bathrooms and double bathrooms. They're quite cheap in Northants in my neck of the woods . They wouldn't build houses people don't like
Man U and rangers

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Well if they come with bathrooms mate, buy one.
Build Back More Betterer