Theft

You'll get the gist quick enough. Feel free to vent about life's rich tapestry and how it pisses you off. But steer clear of other forum members or you will be the target of a virtual kick up the arse.
LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Re: Theft

Post by LaaLaa »

lambrini wrote:I've been a victim of online theft a couple of times (details passed on), luckily the bank are very good and cancel cards within hours.

Some pillock tried to get a credit card in my name, but the information/documentation was sent to my address so I phoned up and cancelled it. They'd not completed the process so the card hadn't even been issued yet, but I assume it would have been sent to my address too. Not sure how they'd actually have got the card??
I really am a biatch

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Some years ago I got a demand from a debt collection agency for a credit card debt which I didn't recognise as I had never owned such a card.
I replied telling them it wasn't me.
Many weeks later they sent me all the documentation; shop bills and demands from the card company which had lots of non-payment penalties.
The card application form copy was included.
The card had been taken out in my name but for the address of a woman with whom I had a daliance, now long over.
She had added the need for a supplementary card in her name, which she had used for the spending.
The signature was not mine.
I told the debt collectors who asked for copies of my signature. I duly sent copies of passport and driving licence with signatures.
Very shortly the debt collectors conceded that I was not responsble and would delete all claims on me.

What was most surprising was that to get the card all she needed was to give my name, an address and a signature. Nothing else needed.
It was a Marbles card, at that time issued by MBNA.

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

VeritasVincit wrote:
Sid Pervcat wrote:RF protection is the biggest rip off going.

It doesn't work.

I bought some little metallic looking card holders. Thin ones.
I tried my card in one at the supermarket. It wasn't recognised while in the holder.
So mine worked.

Mine worked too. When my card was in my wallet, it would easily be read by tap and go but in the phone case, it wasn't even detected.
"My Profile Signatures Were Crap, So I Got Rid Of Them."

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

VeritasVincit wrote:Had my pocket picked on a Madrid bus. Fortunately not a fortune, 25Euros, change from lunch.
I've a pretty good idea who did it, and her mate. Othe passengers thought the same, but looking in their bags proved nothing, you can't identify cash which is all there was. I suppose we could get the police, but they could do nothing without being able to identify the money.
I'm just annoyed and feel a bit foolish. Fortunately I only have immediate spending money in my pocket, my main money, passport etc is in a security wallet inside my trousers where even I struggle to get at it.
Lesson learned for the future.

Bloody gypsies! They are a menace across Europe. I only wear anti-theft handbags these days after almost being pickpocketed twice in London several years ago, and haven't been approached since. PacSafe is a good brand: https://www.pacsafe.com
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
You're not alone
I'll wait 'til the end of time
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

LordLaret wrote:
VeritasVincit wrote:
Sid Pervcat wrote:RF protection is the biggest rip off going.

It doesn't work.

I bought some little metallic looking card holders. Thin ones.
I tried my card in one at the supermarket. It wasn't recognised while in the holder.
So mine worked.

Mine worked too. When my card was in my wallet, it would easily be read by tap and go but in the phone case, it wasn't even detected.

A contactless cards range is 4cm. For someone to scan a contactless card in your pocket they'd have to put their hand in your pocket holding a point of sale terminal contected to the bank's network.

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

Some cunt nicked my bike facing the theatre, just off Market St in Manc.
I left it there for about an hour.
I'd love to spend two minutes with that little cunt.
Two minutes would be all I need
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:Some cunt nicked my bike facing the theatre, just off Market St in Manc.

I bet it didn't last the hour. It was probably gone before you were out of view.
There's a website which lists bikes stolen in Manchester, the ones that get reported.
There are over 80 pages [12 bikes per page].

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

VeritasVincit wrote:
Bad Blue 2000 wrote:Some cunt nicked my bike facing the theatre, just off Market St in Manc.

I bet it didn't last the hour. It was probably gone before you were out of view.
There's a website which lists bikes stolen in Manchester, the ones that get reported.

I didn't bother reporting it, it would've been a complete waste of time.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:
VeritasVincit wrote:

I insure all mine, bike theft is at an industrial level now.

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

Vespa wrote:
Bad Blue 2000 wrote:
VeritasVincit wrote:

The bike was given to me by a friend who no longer needed it, it never crossed my mind to insure it.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:
Vespa wrote:
Bad Blue 2000 wrote:
VeritasVincit wrote:

The bike was given to me by a friend who no longer needed it, it never crossed my mind to insure it.

Never does until some shitwagon steals it.