Theft

You'll get the gist quick enough. Feel free to vent about life's rich tapestry and how it pisses you off. But steer clear of other forum members or you will be the target of a virtual kick up the arse.
VeritasVincit

Theft

Post by VeritasVincit »

Had my pocket picked on a Madrid bus. Fortunately not a fortune, 25Euros, change from lunch.
I've a pretty good idea who did it, and her mate. Othe passengers thought the same, but looking in their bags proved nothing, you can't identify cash which is all there was. I suppose we could get the police, but they could do nothing without being able to identify the money.
I'm just annoyed and feel a bit foolish. Fortunately I only have immediate spending money in my pocket, my main money, passport etc is in a security wallet inside my trousers where even I struggle to get at it.
Lesson learned for the future.

m4rkb

Re: Theft

Post by m4rkb »

My sympathies V V and glad you weren't properly fleeced.
Had my bank card cloned at the start of the week and some cunt emptied the fucking lot, not that I kept all that much in that account anyway but even so.

Would have been left stranded in Leicester if I hadn't filed up before I found the card was declined. Bank seem to take it in their stride and all refunded in less than half a day so all's well.

But. Everyone I have spoken to seems to have been a victim to card fraud. Spoke to someone I know Who used to do it and used card readers that look and function identically to the proper thing. Micro camera in the ceiling is used to grab the PIN. Any road, have worked out who did it as 1 - card was recent replacement anyway and let's face it , it wasn't ASDA or Tesco and 2) been back to the shop in question and seen the said hole in ceiling. Unsettled business there!

It also appears there are people wandering about with pocket readers which can take the max £30 by contactless payment just by standing next to you at the zebra crossing. You can now buy metal cases to stop this.

Banks seem to not give a fuck and almost expect it. Meanwhile I doubt any fraudulent transactions on my card got rescinded. They all went through and are just written off. Obviously there's also a market for paying someone a few hundred quid to go and rape their card knowing they will get it all back plus the small wedge on top.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Always keep bank cards in shielded wallets that block RF signals.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Reg

Post by Reg »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:Always keep bank cards in shielded wallets that block RF signals.

Explain please...
Roy IN!!

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Hehe he thinks that technology actually exists when it was proved it doesnt ages ago.
Build Back More Betterer

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

My wife was a cop and a couple of times worked on cases where people had defrauded banks via their customers.
None of them were keen to co-operate in the legal action.
It seemed they would rather pay out than risk the publicity.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

When my car was cloned they used it to pay some parking fines amongst other things as well as waste a grand gambling.
These things surely point to who used it or paid someone to use it -probably for cheaper, yet fuck all was done. It was a thought the banks do not resort to the law at all , nor the Police for that matter.

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

I wanted to ask if there was a way to block the pocket tapping machines that can take £30 at a time or if that metal cardholder is all that What would be a good idea? Taking a mobile phone with those apps that have tap and go on them?
"My Profile Signatures Were Crap, So I Got Rid Of Them."

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

I've been a victim of online theft a couple of times (details passed on), luckily the bank are very good and cancel cards within hours. Thankfully I have never been mugged or pick-pocketed, never use AMT machines in areas such as the West End and Islington and always carry my belongings in an anti-theft handbag these days. Before that I was nearly pick-pocketed by gypsies twice - once in Oxford Street and again in South Ken tube station, both of which can become overwhelmingly busy during the tourist season.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
You're not alone
I'll wait 'til the end of time
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:Always keep bank cards in shielded wallets that block RF signals.

Yeah. Anti-theft bags have those. PacSafe are brilliant. I don't use fashion handbags now - they're not safe enough. Sad sign of the times...

https://www.pacsafe.com
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
You're not alone
I'll wait 'til the end of time
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

When I travel I have a wallet on a chain, I look a knob but it's safe.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Vespa wrote:When I travel I have a wallet on a chain, I look a knob but it's safe.

Be careful, portable bolt cutters are now routinely carried.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

Got a new phone case for my Samsung S8 and the phone case is now RF Protected. I've tried it several times with tap and go and you have to remove the card from the case beause it can't be read through the case, which now has a peace of mind.
"My Profile Signatures Were Crap, So I Got Rid Of Them."

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

RF protection is the biggest rip off going.

It doesn't work.

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Sid Pervcat wrote:RF protection is the biggest rip off going.

It doesn't work.

I bought some little metallic looking card holders. Thin ones.
I tried my card in one at the supermarket. It wasn't recognised while in the holder.
So mine worked.