Using 'like' as a substitute for a pause.

You'll get the gist quick enough. Feel free to vent about life's rich tapestry and how it pisses you off. But steer clear of other forum members or you will be the target of a virtual kick up the arse.
carcinogen

Using 'like' as a substitute for a pause.

Post by carcinogen »

I really am at my wits end now with the rise of 'like'. It's like, so like, annoying. It's used by inarticulate cunts. It's used because the person speaking either doesn't want to take a breath or cannot find the correct phrase or word to use. Whenever I hear someone using 'like' all the time in a sentence I immediately lose all respect for them and usually turn off. If you're a valley girl from California and blonde I can forgive you, and you can use it once in a while if you must, other than that YOU ARE GOING TO BE HUNTED DOWN BY ME AND SHOT. Like. Oh and I think Geordies use it in their venacular, but they get a free pass (unless you starve horses, then you get shot too).
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

subsub

Re: Using 'like' as a substitute for a pause.

Post by subsub »

carcinogen wrote:I really am at my wits end now with the rise of 'like'. It's like, so like, annoying. It's used by inarticulate cunts. It's used because the person speaking either doesn't want to take a breath or cannot find the correct phrase or word to use. Whenever I hear someone using 'like' all the time in a sentence I immediately lose all respect for them and usually turn off. If you're a valley girl from California and blonde I can forgive you, and you can use it once in a while if you must, other than that YOU ARE GOING TO BE HUNTED DOWN BY ME AND SHOT. Like. Oh and I think Geordies use it in their venacular, but they get a free pass (unless you starve horses, then you get shot too).

Creeping Americanisation, innit?
Just as the proliferation of Aussie soaps got teenagers doing that upwards inflection thing at the end of sentences, which made every sentence sound like a question?
WOKE AND PROUD

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

carcinogen wrote:I really am at my wits end now with the rise of 'like'. It's like, so like, annoying. It's used by inarticulate cunts. It's used because the person speaking either doesn't want to take a breath or cannot find the correct phrase or word to use. Whenever I hear someone using 'like' all the time in a sentence I immediately lose all respect for them and usually turn off. If you're a valley girl from California and blonde I can forgive you, and you can use it once in a while if you must, other than that YOU ARE GOING TO BE HUNTED DOWN BY ME AND SHOT. Like. Oh and I think Geordies use it in their venacular, but they get a free pass (unless you starve horses, then you get shot too).

Agreed.
Shoot a few for me.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

1997 called, wants its topic and responses back
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Reg

Post by Reg »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:1997 called, wants its topic and responses back

1977 more err like.
Roy IN!!

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Reg wrote:
The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:1997 called, wants its topic and responses back

1977 more err like.

That's the name of the game though. 8)

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

subsub wrote:

Creeping Americanisation, innit?
Just as the proliferation of Aussie soaps got teenagers doing that upwards inflection thing at the end of sentences, which made every sentence sound like a question?

Just as annoying as that other one where every sentence has the same tune but different lyrics and always ends in a drawn out flat tone. you can swap it directly with the Aussie twang.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Dont ever go to london again mate, it drives you fucking mad.

They say it way more annoyingly than anyone else in the country as well.
Build Back More Betterer

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

"Like" is a gateway word into Americanism's.
You can only live in the world you know.The rest is just wishful thinking or paranoia.

"We shall not go to Canossa!"

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

There's a scouse bloke called Paul or Steve who is like really terrible for this , on the Radio 5 Call in show (9-10am).
He gets in four "likes" in every sentence.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

There are very few people, and even fewer in broadcasting, who pause before they speak in order to arrange their thoughts and then speak in an uninterrupted flow of words. "Like", "you know", "err", "I mean" are examples of the same thing; a mental pause while you arrange what is in your head into a sensible thing to say. The old Archbishop of Canterbury, Michael Ramsey, was a fine example of the "upper-class-stutter", which was doing much the same thing. " ... b-b-b-b-but...", he would say, mentally pausing for breath.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

I use swearing for my punctuation. :D

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

m4rkb wrote:I use swearing for my punctuation. :D
As do many others. It's an all-purpose adjective and adverb for the inarticulate.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

The most articulate speakers often swear, but in their cases it adds a bit of colour to the language It's those whose vocabulary only consists of 'like', 'ya know' and other expletives who are the problem.

Moby Dicky

Post by Moby Dicky »

I literally know what you mean sort of.
Can’t be arsed.