The Genocide of Wasps

You'll get the gist quick enough. Feel free to vent about life's rich tapestry and how it pisses you off. But steer clear of other forum members or you will be the target of a virtual kick up the arse.
ToRmAtO
Winner POTY - 2007 !!!!

The Genocide of Wasps

Post by ToRmAtO »

Let us exterminate all wasps off the face of the earth.

Nobody likes them, they are evil little flying bastards, and spoil a lovely day out in the sun.

Plus it hurts if they sting you.
Godwin's law

m4rkb

Re: The Genocide of Wasps

Post by m4rkb »

They are flying thugs and there's nothing a bee doesn't do better.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Wasps do a fair job as do bees with plants. They also eat the little bastards that fuck up my laurel hedges. Having said that, we had a couple of nests in the loft a few years back, and called in Rentokil. They removed one nest, but they didn't spot a second, and I stuck my head in it by accident. Luckily I made a fast retreat and avoided getting stung. We also had some Asian hornets in the woods at the back of us last year, and one got in the house. Fucking enormous things.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

I've never been more terrified when I was a kid, we had a wasps nest in one of those very 80s covered gutters unbeknownst to us, and we found out about it with me waking up one September morning with fucking hundreds on the ceiling and the walls in my bedroom, all moving very slowly, I remember really slowly getting out of bed and crawling along the floor and slamming the door shut.

The pest guy said I actually wasn't in any danger, they'd all come out to die, thats they were moving so slowly, but that moment remains the most terrifying moment of my life so far.
Build Back More Betterer

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

I was stung twice last week. Wasn't that bad tbh.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Fuck wasps.

Stripey bastards.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Sid Pervcat wrote:Fuck wasps.

Stripey bastards.

+1

The cunts.
Roy IN!!

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

carcinogen wrote:I was stung twice last week.

Overcharged for your White Lightning?
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Wasps are bad but cleggs are worse. Happily I haven't seen many of those this year. Or many wasps so far, come to think of it.

Plenty of bats about this year for a change. That might explain it.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

Zambo wrote:Wasps do a fair job as do bees with plants. They also eat the little bastards that fuck up my yanni hedges. Having said that, we had a couple of nests in the loft a few years back, and called in Rentokil. They removed one nest, but they didn't spot a second, and I stuck my head in it by accident. Luckily I made a fast retreat and avoided getting stung. We also had some Asian hornets in the woods at the back of us last year, and one got in the house. Fucking enormous things.
We had a wasps nest in the loft at the end of last year. Was considering getting rid, but after looking up info online the general consensus was that if they didn't freeze to death over the winter they'd come out of hibernation and bugger off somewhere else. Well, in spring they never reappeared, so I guess they either died over the winter or quietly came out of hibernation and departed. Also, wasps won't build a new nest if there's already a nest there, even an old one, so the old nest will act as a deterrent to any others thinking of nesting there (you can buy fake wasps nests to put in the loft to act as a deterrent). I'll just have to remember it's there so if anyone needs to do any work in the loft I can warn them beforehand.
I really am a biatch

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

LaaLaa wrote:We had a wasps nest in the loft at the end of last year. Was considering getting rid, but after looking up info online the general consensus was that if they didn't freeze to death over the winter they'd come out of hibernation and bugger off somewhere else. Well, in spring they never reappeared, so I guess they either died over the winter or quietly came out of hibernation and departed. Also, wasps won't build a new nest if there's already a nest there, even an old one, so the old nest will act as a deterrent to any others thinking of nesting there (you can buy fake wasps nests to put in the loft to act as a deterrent). I'll just have to remember it's there so if anyone needs to do any work in the loft I can warn them beforehand.

Eusocial wasps produce queens towards the end of the summer, these queens leave the nest and find somewhere to sleep over the winter. Without queens in the nest the remaining wasps eventually die off. In the spring the queen wasps emerge, find a place an build a new nest. This is why wasp nests only last a season, however, the proximity of old wasp nests deterring queens from making a nest next to it is a myth dreamt up be people who want to sell fake wasps.

Many moons ago I did a project with wasp farmers in asia, now there is a hard way to make a living.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Where there's greenery, there's queenery
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

ToRmAtO
Winner POTY - 2007 !!!!

Post by ToRmAtO »

There are far too many 'how to get rid of wasps, unsuccessfully' on You Tube to post. Some are hilarious
Godwin's law

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

They do tend to get very upset when you try to swallow one.

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

Do they pollinate like bees ?

See if you whack a wasp or hassle it ,it sends out a signal though sound waves up to half a mile to say" Mon hunner me".

True.
You can only live in the world you know.The rest is just wishful thinking or paranoia.

"We shall not go to Canossa!"