TF Chess Club 2, WCC 2014, 2016, 2018, 2021 and 2023

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Jock Bauer

Re: TF Chess Club 2, WCC 2014, WCC 2016 and WCC 2018

Post by Jock Bauer »

Carlos J wrote:Watched the video, Jock. Darn I thought there was going to be a result. Well there was, but hey and a rare double bishop ending.

Of the vid itself, bad tech all round, mic noise, board not updating but enjoyed it. Anna Rudolf was quite demure, pondering if Yasser was Yasser or slightly seedy and patronising. Yes, he is a GM and she an IM. But enjoyed it and how before the middle game, the pieces were practically in classical chess development.

We must play this, I rate my chances as better out of book. :)

This round the corner from the venue: https://chessfestival.co.uk/

Oooh chess festival looks interesting! I was actually in a lift with Ginger GM Simon Williams (top bloke) at London Chess.

Yeah, we must have a game of 960. I have had a few games and lost most of them thus far. I have a fairly relaxed life these days so can fit in a game anytime you fancy really. Check out the castling rules - that's a bit weird.

That link was maybe not the best. The whole match - which was over 2 days I think is available somewhere. There was some classic games. Real tactical masterpieces. I like Anna R but she does tend to rattle on a bit about some social media frivolity in the middle of some complicated tactical shit.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Ha about her and social meeja. Yeah had a look at the rules, sort of get it. Will send you a PM next week as off this week. And will check out the otger games.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Jock Bauer wrote:[...]Anyway, exciting week coming up as Gazza makes another reappearance[...]

Seen this Jock?:

Gazza. E's done noffin wrong. Correctly called out Topalov not promoting correctly, did resign after. You cannot play fast and loose with the rules, especially when your opponent has seconds left. Promote correctly, it ain't hard.

And yay, saw the mate in two at 5.52 that Topalov missed.

53 days: 8) https://worldchess.com/london

Jock Bauer

Post by Jock Bauer »

Cheers Carlos. Missed that one though I watched alot of it. Gazza got whupped a bit but came back well on the last day.

I think Topa should have been forfeited

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Agree Jock. According to the commentary, promoting incorrectly used to be a forfeit, but now is a 2 minute time penalty against and Gazza would have lost anyway so resigned.

Octavio

Post by Octavio »

Don't follow chess but used to watch 'Duels of the Mind' on late-night ITV with Raymond Keene and Donald Woods. Was so relaxing it used to send me to sleep.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Octavio wrote:Don't follow chess but used to watch 'Duels of the Mind' on late-night ITV with Raymond Keene and Donald Woods. Was so relaxing it used to send me to sleep.

Never heard of it, Octavio, but thanks. A couple on youtube. Dear old Raymond Keene, friend of H&J. Will watch later. The troubled genuis Morphy, as per here many pages back in my round up of greats:

Octavio

Post by Octavio »

Carlos J wrote:
Octavio wrote:Don't follow chess but used to watch 'Duels of the Mind' on late-night ITV with Raymond Keene and Donald Woods. Was so relaxing it used to send me to sleep.

Never heard of it, Octavio, but thanks. A couple on youtube. Dear old Raymond Keene, friend of H&J. Will watch later. The troubled genuis Morphy, as per here many pages back in my round up of greats:

It was a lovely little programme. I think Donald Woods is the Dad of 'Woodman' of Johnny Vaughn show fame? Just been reading about Keene....bit shady.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Cheers. Ha about the Vaughan connection. Aside being Chess Correspondent of the Times, Keene had fingers in many pies and like you say, a few iffy moments..

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Look at the clock: https://worldchess.com/tournament/11/wi ... ng?event=5 23 days until kick off. Aside interesiting is the FIDE elcetions, not got time to go in to now, old Nigel Short even heard on TS. :shock:

Anyway, the venue took ages to sort, tickets were sold, still Ticketmaster and organisers trying to sort out etickets or any tickets, though note checked the venue in Holborn when in that London and looks great.

So to get us into the mood, some old Carlsen. The 13 year old v Kasparov rapidplay. There is some dodgy editing there as they played twice, but so much is so good.

As per, the little boy lost, family and him waiting for the master to come on. Kasparov in and handshake and play He just looking at Kasparov, no eye raised looking and the kid gets a draw Walking and rushing back is funny.:

From his notable games on Mr Wiki v Boris Gelfand. Haven't we all been there, rooks on the end rank and lady as well and thinking easy this win? But Carlsen bewtiful defence:

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

BoJo on chess:

Avoid the usual rambling shite, he makes good points about chess and schools. BoJo shit at chess though, doen't know. Nice mention of 'Washington Square Park' in there, good place, but hustlers as well, which is also good for the chess education.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

17 days now: 8) https://worldchess.com/tournament/11/wi ... ng?event=5

Despite will be away most of the tourney and will follow old Jerry on Chess Network

And Danny King: Daniel King

And the legends Peter Svidler and Jan Gustafsson on streams maybe or later as not paying Chess24 as old Jock says, they are taking coin for viewing. :(

Though think FiIDE and their meeja types have realised not to milk as people will watch elsewhere: https://worldchess.com/paygate

20 bucks is not bad for all the access they say, Judit Polgar there as well on comms is great.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Young Keymer v old Boris Gelfand. Fascinating:

Not game of the century but a lovely game. Young Keymer is still only an IM at 14, othesr were GM younger, though means nothing.

Anyway. 11 days: https://worldchess.com/tournament/11/wi ... ng?event=5

Jock Bauer

Post by Jock Bauer »

U seen the film 'Magnus' Carlos? Very good.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Jock Bauer wrote:U seen the film 'Magnus' Carlos? Very good.

Yeah, Jock, it is very good. It was on the plane last time I went to NY so saw it just before the last World Championship. Comments back in this thread, will find later.

All starts Thursday, getting exciting. 8)