TF Chess Club 2, WCC 2014, 2016, 2018, 2021 and 2023

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Carlos J
Forum Admin

Re: TF Chess Club 2, WCC 2014, WCC 2016, WCC 2018 and WCC 2020

Post by Carlos J »

Jock Bauer wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:05 pm Cracking tourney going on. Polgar and Kramnik commentating. Vlad is fucking awesome as a comemtator!

On for a few more days. Catch up on YT.

Cheers, Jock. Will have a look.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

This is interesting is you like chess and will post in Chess Club: https://talkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13688

Dear old Jerry playing Beth Harmon bots at various ages. Age and rating: 8yrs (800), 9yrs (1200), 10yrs (1600), 15yrs (1880), 17yrs (2400), 20yrs (2500), 22yrs (2700).

Jerry. "I'm expecting the first four to go pretty smooth, the final three I think will be a pretty tall task. Quite interesting, though playing blitz chess, not classical times as no fucker would watch. Jerry played 3-2 first four ganes, 3 minutes each with a 2 second increment per move. Last three were 5-5, 5minutes eaxh with 5 a 5 second increment per move.

One of the greatest things jerry does is talkcalmly when seconds left, when usual players ar wtf, wtf, wtf to do and blunder:

Going to try Beth's bots tomorrow, maybe at 5-5. Happy if beating the first three, maybe fourth.

Jock Bauer

Post by Jock Bauer »

Candidates time. Carlsen commentating for the next few days -

Jock Bauer

Post by Jock Bauer »

Howell, Tania and MC commentating. It just ain't gelling at all with Howell and MC is trying to be too serious. No chemistry whatsoever.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Jock Bauer wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:09 pm Candidates time. Carlsen commentating for the next few days -

Excellent work, Jock. Not a lot of time to follow, next week but willl try. And we must, soon. :smt023

Jock Bauer

Post by Jock Bauer »

Carlos J wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:00 am
Jock Bauer wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:09 pm Candidates time. Carlsen commentating for the next few days -

Excellent work, Jock. Not a lot of time to follow, next week but willl try. And we must, soon. :smt023
Yes mate. I do miss our epic battles.

Hopefully soon!

BTW, I think it is also covered here. Commentary by Hess & Rensch with Annand. Should be more entertaining.

https://www.chess.com/tv

Jock Bauer

Post by Jock Bauer »

Not seen this Bobby Fischer clip before...

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

For the record, Ian Nepomniachtchi won the longest chess tournament in history. And will face Magnus Carlsen in the the final in the UAE in November/ December: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidate ... E2%80%9321

Don't know much about Ian bar 55 ranking points below Magnus and same age, 30.

Do know won't be able to make it a treble of final attendances after NY 16 and London 18. Could go to to the UAE, but thanks no thanks.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Jock Bauer wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:20 pm Not seen this Bobby Fischer clip before...

Nice. Bobby uneasy but also easy. The Bobby before going crazy.

GOAT? Yeah, over Garry. Still want more from Magnus.

Nicely caught from 13.30, old Johnny Carson passed and having a sly drag of the fag not out of camera,

And Bobby doing the 15 puzzle. See Nakamura who is a good sport trying. Comment as watching are funny:

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Nakamura is a good egg. Referring to Bobby and the 15 puzzle. And keep trying till he gets it. Same as Rublik's Cube. Once known, tis easy:

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

I've always avoided chess, simply because a) I'm mildly obsessive about patterns and b) I read a book about Russian chess once (White King and Red Queen) and it had stories filled with people going Nortin level bonkers playing chess.

Given I've got fuck all to do on the chemo train I started doing chess puzzles in an app and quite like it. I'm predictably pants.

If you would like some easy games and help me past the time - what do I need to sign up to?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Vespa wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:10 am I've always avoided chess, simply because a) I'm mildly obsessive about patterns and b) I read a book about Russian chess once (White King and Red Queen) and it had stories filled with people going Nortin level bonkers playing chess.

Given I've got fuck all to do on the chemo train I started doing chess puzzles in an app and quite like it. I'm predictably pants.

If you would like some easy games and help me past the time - what do I need to sign up to?
Hi Vespa. Jock and I both play on chess.com. It is good as you can play people of your level or easier or harder from around the world. You can also play their computer at different ratings and learn beginning, middle and end games. Chess Network with Jerry is a great youtube channel with games, openings, endings etc. all explained.

Welcome to the club, you will get hooked. Not got much free time over the next week but after that, more free time so happy to play you.

Hopefully Jock or someone else will see this and reply. And yes, some people go bonkers, lots of stories of players after blindfold games where you have to see the board in your head and just normal players.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Carlos J wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:43 am
Vespa wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:10 am I've always avoided chess, simply because a) I'm mildly obsessive about patterns and b) I read a book about Russian chess once (White King and Red Queen) and it had stories filled with people going Nortin level bonkers playing chess.

Hi Vespa. Jock and I both play on chess.com. It is good as you can play people of your level or easier or harder from around the world. You can also play their computer at different ratings and learn beginning, middle and end games. Chess Network with Jerry is a great youtube channel with games, openings, endings etc. all explained.

Welcome to the club, you will get hooked. Not got much free time over the next week but after that, more free time so happy to play you.

Hopefully Jock or someone else will see this and reply. And yes, some people go bonkers, lots of stories of players after blindfold games where you have to see the board in your head and just normal players.
I'll try not to get hooked. I'll set up a chess.com thing later

Jock Bauer

Post by Jock Bauer »

Vespa wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:02 am
Carlos J wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:43 am

I'll try not to get hooked. I'll set up a chess.com thing later
Yo mate, u could also look at setting one up at https://lichess.org/ - I prefer that now as there's so many cheaters on chess.com (people who don't have the decency to resign when they're lost).

I'll play you, teach you, whenever you want. Me and Carlos have had some epic battles (Carlos is really good - he's more like Tony Adams at chess and I'm more like late-career Mickey Quinn). It's fun if you don't take it too seriously and you can play peeps your own level.

I'll play u on lichess or chess.com if u like just let me know when ur about and your username.

Jock

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Jock Bauer wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:29 pm Yo mate, u could also look at setting one up at https://lichess.org/ - I prefer that now as there's so many cheaters on chess.com (people who don't have the decency to resign when they're lost).
Cool, I'll do that.