TF Chess Club 2, WCC 2014, 2016, 2018, 2021 and 2023

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
ovechkin8

TF Chess Club 2, WCC 2014, 2016, 2018, 2021 and 2023

Post by ovechkin8 »

As you may know Carlos and I have been bandying this idea about for a few months but nothing has come of it, partly due to my absences and also sheer laziness. :)

If you would like to be considered as an entrant for this then please put your name down below. All entrants will be required to then register at chess.com.

This is a free and painless process. As they do charge for holding tournaments we will then organize the games with each person to play everyone else in a round robin, then knockout.

The rules I refer to would have to be adhered to ie forty moves within one hour for example, then say thirty minutes for the remaining moves. For those people with time constraints at the weekend I am sure games can be saved. Carlos will know as he is a regular visitor there.

If there is a large number of entries the round robin will be split on usernames.

PS:Can this be stickied ? Thanks.

What do I get for winning it ? Nothing barring being crowned the forum champion for the year and a grading. :)
'I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses.' Johannes Kepler

AlcoholBrazil

Re: Talkforum Chess Tournament

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

I'm absolutely rubbish at the game, but have a envy for those that can play, especially small child prodigies that
make the game look a doddle and humiliate adults in front of crowds.
Unless we use similar usernames, and a round of PM's , play one v one ,then post the results back here , so chess.com need not know.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

ovechkin8

Post by ovechkin8 »

We will use the same names on here preferably AB so as not to get confused or at least make the names we use on chess.com known to everyone here. Besides we can join a group there as talkforum members and make friends as in the internet sense with each other on that site. :)

Carlos has not seen this as yet but first of all we need sufficient entries. Two months grace period for entries.

Current entrants:
AlchoholBrazil
Carlos
Dasboot
henrycrs
Kowalski
ovechkin8
Sadact7
Last edited by ovechkin8 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses.' Johannes Kepler

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

What are the chances of someone who doesn't know how to play chess making a series of random moves and winning against an "expert"
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

ovechkin8

Post by ovechkin8 »

TGOAH 5K wrote:What are the chances of someone who doesn't know how to play chess making a series of random moves and winning against an "expert"
To be perfectly frank TGOAH, nil. :)

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

ovechkin8 wrote:
TGOAH 5K wrote:What are the chances of someone who doesn't know how to play chess making a series of random moves and winning against an "expert"
Well then, and for that reason, I'm out
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

ovechkin8

Post by ovechkin8 »

TGOAH 5K wrote:
ovechkin8 wrote:
Well then, and for that reason, I'm out
You'll be missed. :( Roll, roll up we do need more than just three people to comprise a tournament. :|

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Anyone saw the Game Over Documentary. Conspiracy about the machine owners over-ridded a crucial move by the machine to swing the game in the machine's favour.
6uild 6ack 6etter .

ovechkin8

Post by ovechkin8 »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:

Anyone saw the Game Over Documentary. Conspiracy about the machine owners over-ridded a crucial move by the machine to swing the game in the machine's favour.
Will give it a watch over the next week AB. Thanks. :)

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

It's been years since I played, and when I did I was rubbish. All route one....must be the John Beck influence :)

But I'm in if that's ok

ovechkin8

Post by ovechkin8 »

henrycrs wrote:It's been years since I played, and when I did I was rubbish. All route one....must be the John Beck influence :)

But I'm in if that's ok
Duly noted henry. I look forward to those pawn storms. :) Welcome aboard. :drinkers:

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Course I'm in, Ovechkin, and most excited. :) Just one thing though. If we get more people maybe have some vote on the time limits. Longer and near classical times tends to favour better players. Which means err you. :wink: Not Blitz or anything, but maybe 30mins each with increments. But hey happy with any if we get going.

We can play individual games on chess.com, and arrange the tourney ourselves here, they only charge to organise them. From last chess club, still friends there with the ones who played then, about 10 of us. I'm Carlosj1 there, lookout for sexy Sammi's photo, some creep said I was hot. :P Find other members and friend is pretty straightforward with usernames.

Old Das was a member, maybe give him a heads up on the quizchat. Anyway, Ovechkin, your baby, your rules. Let's get it on. 8)
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:

Think I've seen that before, AB, not a lot of memory so will watch again. The old Beast of Baku when losing is always great to watch for his mannerisms, but a computer is not fussed by those antics. Got a book on the first match somewhere.

I do like this channel on YT: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChessNetwork/videos

He does lots of commentaries on his blitz games, which are err interesting as gets out of jail so much, and IMO quite a funny bloke. But also does comms for big and historic games. Some Bobby Fischer there.

Carlsen v Anand. Game 5:

[youtube][/youtube]
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

ovechkin8

Post by ovechkin8 »

Carlos J wrote:Course I'm in, Ovechkin, and most excited. :) Just one thing though. If we get more people maybe have some vote on the time limits. Longer and near classical times tends to favour better players. Which means err you. :wink: Not Blitz or anything, but maybe 30mins each with increments. But hey happy with any if we get going.

We can play individual games on chess.com, and arrange the tourney ourselves here, they only charge to organise them. From last chess club, still friends there with the ones who played then, about 10 of us. I'm Carlosj1 there, lookout for sexy Sammi's photo, some creep said I was hot. :P Find other members and friend is pretty straightforward with usernames.

Old Das was a member, maybe give him a heads up on the quizchat. Anyway, Ovechkin, your baby, your rules. Let's get it on. 8)
That's what I'm thinking of doing Carlos. :) Are we allowed to include the exiles then ? I can draw up a standard excel round robin table when the deadline ends. So far four candidates. :wink:

Come on forumers throw those hats into the ring. As for the time limits Carlos we could all come to a concensus nearer the time. Although a lack of thinking time is as likely to hamper a as it were weaker player as a stronger one. :D

Nominal closing date 1st June 2014. Might extend it and start the thing off after the World Cup is over Carlos.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

ovechkin8 wrote:So far four candidates. :wink:
Only 4. It'll be just like the FIFA World Club Cup. Catapulted straight into the semis.
6uild 6ack 6etter .