Depression

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
kevin04

Re: Depression

Post by kevin04 »

There's a great word in Gaelic, Kanco and that is sgonneil - for your post. Brilliant/lovely/superb/great/thoughtful it can mean all of these and it was that a brilliant post!

Hope you are well Iko! Keep the heid up and the good fight, big yin!
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Thanks Kev. Hope you’re getting ready for Christmas and you and your lovely lady have a great festive period. Think you were saying she’s Icelandic? How does she celebrate it?

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

kancutlawns wrote:Thanks Kev. Hope you’re getting ready for Christmas and you and your lovely lady have a great festive period. Think you were saying she’s Icelandic? How does she celebrate it?

With the slaughter of many whales.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Very thoughtful post MyLawns.

Good luck ikhlaq.
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Cheers ghosty.

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

I suffer ever day. And have done for 5 years now. I can break it short term and then it comes back with a vengeance.

I’m a great liar about it, no one thinks it about me as I’m a Image, interestingly one of my best Mates text me tonight telling me he things he’s got depressive feelings and he’s struggling and he’s had a panic attack at the cinema today :(

I’ll give give him advice all day every day, yet I can’t clear my own mind

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

henrycrs wrote:I suffer ever day. And have done for 5 years now. I can break it short term and then it comes back with a vengeance.

I’m a great liar about it, no one thinks it about me as I’m a Image, interestingly one of my best Mates text me tonight telling me he things he’s got depressive feelings and he’s struggling and he’s had a panic attack at the cinema today :(

I’ll give give him advice all day every day, yet I can’t clear my own mind

It's a fucker of an illness, Henry and sorry to hear you are feeling down. I mind you said your ex loved Christmas, so could be the time of the year as well. I know from a few of you were posts on here, that you were doing boot camps and fitness programs, are you still doing them? I know its a bit of a cliché, but the eating well/exercise routine works for many.

Also, no shame in seeing a therapist/Councillor. I have a pal who was always funny, outgoing, eccentric etc then about two years ago he became quite serious and it was a huge surprise considering his previous personality. He said going to see a shrink was huge for him, very beneficial and money well spent. Then again, might depend on the Councillor you get and if he/she is good.

There's a creeping narcissism in society - it's probably always been there - but its even worse today. No one looks up from their phone ; the conversation is dying on its arse. We've never been so close to each other with technology yet emotionally miles away. There's fabric in the mind as well I think to do stuff/be social/do and have good deeds done. Yes, to sound all boomer and preacher, but there's some good Bible proverbs about life (some nonsense too). I cannot imagine how cold life can be today. If you live alone, you could easily go through a day not speaking to anyone even if you nipped in to town to buy groceries.

I am roaning on a bit, and not really going anwyhere ; but I hope feel better. If you haven't already, try cleaning up the diet. I try to eat good (although last few weeks haven't) but after the initial 3-4 days getting the sugars out the system, you feel better. More alert ; brain actually feels like its working and even more social/outgoing.

Anyhoos take care, and all the best Heners!
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

ikhlaq786

Post by ikhlaq786 »

Hello Everybody, life is getting really shit. I've had 5 interviews and been second placed in all of them. Each time I've been told how good I am, yet the other person has more experience.

I'm now at the end of my tether and really don't feel I am getting anywhere as its putting a strain on my personal life. I don't know what to do as I'm getting desperate. I've even started to apply for anything and everything just to get a job, yet I don't seem to be getting any replies.
"It doesn't mean that I advocate violence, but at the same time, I am not against using violence in self-defense. I don't call it violence when it's self-defense, I call it intelligence."

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

You may be coming over desperate at interviews which is understandable.
Give it a few weeks break and start again .
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

ikhlaq786 wrote:Hello Everybody, life is getting really shit. I've had 5 interviews and been second placed in all of them. Each time I've been told how good I am, yet the other person has more experience.

I'm now at the end of my tether and really don't feel I am getting anywhere as its putting a strain on my personal life. I don't know what to do as I'm getting desperate. I've even started to apply for anything and everything just to get a job, yet I don't seem to be getting any replies.

You’re trying too hard for another job. Take your time and allow yourself to be relaxed and prepared. Getting interviews in the first place is a positive development, if you’re going to jobs where you think the hiring company will give the job to the more experienced candidate, try to convince them you still are experienced, can use transferable skills, are an enthusiastic candidate that can learn quickly.

Bear in mind that it’s the Christmas period and loads of people are off from work. You should start hearing back in response to your applications in the start of the second week into the new year.

Don’t be negative, keep going. Do something to keep yourself mentally sharp and motivated. I developed a personal website, started learning intermediate German and French and did a fast track finance course earlier in the year when I was in between jobs and this really helped me keep personally motivated. Do loads of walking too at a fixed time every day. Sounds a little stupid but do stuff like the dishes, tidying up at home and stuff that make you happy when you’ve achieved something.

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

They are sage words from lawnsy, and articulated better than I could.

Don’t beat yourself up. The time of year isn’t the best to be looking for a job (Oct-Dec). If you’re getting interviews you’re obviously capable and good enough.

Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Easiest thing in the world to say, but try and step back and don’t be critical. Look at the positives....I.e you ARE getting interviews

2020 is round the corner. Keep your chin up and share your concerns with people. It’ll be okay

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

kancutlawns wrote:
ikhlaq786 wrote:Hello Everybody, life is getting really shit. I've had 5 interviews and been second placed in all of them. Each time I've been told how good I am, yet the other person has more experience.

You’re trying too hard for another job. Take your time and allow yourself to be relaxed and prepared. Getting interviews in the first place is a positive development, if you’re going to jobs where you think the hiring company will give the job to the more experienced candidate, try to convince them you still are experienced, can use transferable skills, are an enthusiastic candidate that can learn quickly.

Bear in mind that it’s the Christmas period and loads of people are off from work. You should start hearing back in response to your applications in the start of the second week into the new year.

Don’t be negative, keep going. Do something to keep yourself mentally sharp and motivated. I developed a personal website, started learning intermediate German and French and did a fast track finance course earlier in the year when I was in between jobs and this really helped me keep personally motivated. Do loads of walking too at a fixed time every day. Sounds a little stupid but do stuff like the dishes, tidying up at home and stuff that make you happy when you’ve achieved something.

+1, kancut. Keep going, Ikhlaq and all the best in 2020.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

antdad

Post by antdad »

As above, try not to get too dispondent. If you've got to the very later stages of those interviews I'd say that is something to be quite proud of while giving you something to work on. If experience in a particular field is what you need try getting it another way even if it means doing something else in the mean time. Difficult to say without knowing exactly what field but if you can volunteer in the field you want to work or doing something that has skills that are transferable it may give you the extra edge as well as keeping you motivated.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Cheers chaps and good luck del and Henry on fighting depression. The motivational aspect and learning new skills is an important one. Ikhlaq, I remember reading that you’re in the automotive industry. I know from experience that’s going through a well documented lean period from a perfect storm of different factors. Can you perhaps look at transferring into aeronautical manufacturing or supply chain or logistics?

subsub

Post by subsub »

kancutlawns wrote:

Agreed, lawns-o.
Sorry to hear your news, ikhlaq, but hang in there. Things will turn around, pal :)
WOKE AND PROUD