Depression

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
ilk59

Depression

Post by ilk59 »

I must first apologize for the content of this thread, I, like I suppose everyone else, visit this forum for some light relief and this subject stands in stark contrast to that. I am not the type of person to extemporize about my feelings publicly, however, I would like to make an exception in this case.

I find myself in a bit of a rut, I have always been a pessimist (ironically I consider it a positive thing), and I have in my life experienced terribly dark feelings, but for the past six months I have been feeling depressed. In this time, I have continued to attend work, in fact, I have found a better job in the private sector which I will be starting in June. I have remained cordial with my friends and relatives. I have continued to attend social functions. Yet, when I am left alone with my thoughts, I feel overwhelmed with anxiety and sadness.

I have been searching for an answer. Perhaps it is my colleagues? They are ruthless gossips and a source of negative energy, but, although maybe not in the same density, I have encountered such people my whole life. Perhaps it was my lifestyle? I changed my diet and intensely exercise four times a week; but still the feelings persist.

What I want to know is how to beat this. I am hesitant to go to a medical professional because my job requires me to disclose my medical history.
The extent to which propaganda shapes the progress of affairs about us may surprise even well informed persons. Nevertheless, it is only necessary to look under the surface of the newspaper for a hint as to propaganda's authority over public opinion.

Roquetas

Re: Depression

Post by Roquetas »

ilk59 wrote:Yet, when I am left alone with my thoughts, I feel overwhelmed with anxiety and sadness

What I want to know is how to beat this. I am hesitant to go to a medical professional because my job requires me to disclose my medical history.
Hi Ilk.

1. I've been feeling like you've been feeling for a few months. I'm generally OK at work and with mates, but when in my flat in the evening I feel, like you, terriy anxious about life and the future.

2. I wish I knew how to beat it. I try to keep active and treat each hurdle a step in the right direction.

3. Go to the doctor and don't disclose anything. Your employer can't make you hand over your medical history.
All eyes and ears...

Reg

Post by Reg »

A lot of people go through phases like this.

Usually it passes with time, but if not, it is worth seeing your doctor, as antidepressants can be very effective, and can often be taken for six months or so and then stopped.

Another thing, which sounds trite, is that exercise can help.
Roy IN!!

Glazed Earthenware Horse
Winner - POTY 2012!!!!

Post by Glazed Earthenware Horse »

Ilk,

It is important for you to know you are not alone. I understand completely, and I have battled with depression myself for many years. Indeed it is a dilemma if you seek help and then it effects your job, but you can request your GP keeps it confidential, but I'm not sure where they or you would stand on that if your employers needed to see your records.

Meds can help, as they have helped me in the past, and the only other alternative is to live with it as best you can, as I have done. I cannot speak to you but when the black dog visits it can be by my side for sometimes as long as three weeks.

If there was someone you could speak to at work it might help, but there are no easy solutions.

Keep your chin up mate. A walk in countryside can help, and as I once did, tie the black dog to a tree and leave it behind. That may sound crazy, but that is what I once did. Strangely it did help.

All the best my friend.
Talkforum's Official Crazy Larger than life Character!

Reg

Post by Reg »

I missed the last part of your post when I posted earlier.

Gossips and socially competitive people can have a depressing and draining influence, but only insofar as you allow them to.

They are usually insecure, empty people and even if you can't break free of them, it helps to see them clearly for what they are.
Roy IN!!

ovechkin8

Post by ovechkin8 »

You can always have a chat without fear with any of us ilk.

We all face these thoughts at some time in our lives. I go to bed sometimes worried about my parents as they get on in years and how I will feel when they go as we are close.

There are plenty of counselling groups or a willing listener you can pour your heart out to who will offer advice and help, if should need it.

All my sincere best wishes to you. You are a very special and unique individual. :)
'I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses.' Johannes Kepler

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Get well soon, Ilk. That avatar may be contributing to your problem. Change it to something more positive.
Exercise more frequently , but less intensely. Put on a Latino Mix Cd, to get in that World Cup spirit, and
look forward to a long hot summer.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Indeed hope, Ilk and as Ovechkin has said, people here will help as much they can. And any Rob Shepherd's and Boozil's of TF, err before you even start, don't bother. :arrow:

You continue work, that is a positive. You are starting a new job in June, that is a positive. You say anxiety and sadness, and previous dark feelings, but seemingly ok till the last 6 months? Hope that's right. Negative shite from colleagues is an add on. But you are leaving them.

As you will not go to your Dr, and this job starts in June, assuming awaiting a medical report, do nothing now, if you want the job.

If you have the cash, private CBT might be beneficial. Simple, straightforward and may work. Private costs coin and immediate over the NHS and not seen unless you want it shared onto your medical records. Beware shysters, but many good people.

Or, which I would do, if you can hold, save till you start the job, then GP to ask about CBT. Each GP practice should have a CPN who will be able to help. That is a sort of should be, but hey, a lot of people for not a lot of people.

As for anti-depressants. Going to a GP and getting on tablets is really a last resort if you get nowhere with the others. As per, each GP should have help to mental health services available, but dishing sweets is so much easier.

Exercise and busying. If you are functioning. which you are and are aware, stay off any tablets as long as you can. Check the CBT.

Even if you think that is all shite and it maybe, Ilk. Hey, I'll still try to help and we are Boro. 8)
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Ilk ,sorry to hear about this but it is vitally important you get professional help for this .
By the time I did it was too late and clinical depression had set in.
If you are naturally a stressful person talking to a trained person and taking advice can allow
you to manage this without the need for medication.
With due respect talking about it on here may help but won't control the stress/depression
you are feeling.

The hard facts are if you try to manage this yourself and a bad situation arises[for me it was my firm going bust] this can make you clinically depressed and on medication which is where I am.

Seek professional help
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

ilk59

Post by ilk59 »

Thank you for your thoughts and kind words.

I will be looking into therapy/counselling.
The extent to which propaganda shapes the progress of affairs about us may surprise even well informed persons. Nevertheless, it is only necessary to look under the surface of the newspaper for a hint as to propaganda's authority over public opinion.

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

ilk59 wrote:Thank you for your thoughts and kind words.

I will be looking into cognitive therapy/counselling.
Great news :)
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

The avoidance of ex-wives or girlfriends you once loved is a good tactic to avoid falling into a slump. Sadly for me, mine keeps showing up in the media; Sky News Press Preview, BBC3 this week. Now I am back on the sauce. It's not even as if I want to be with her or find her attractive. It's just, I don't want to remember her. Good luck to you with your battle. Avoid social media for a bit too maybe? Don't think that helps. Can you go on holiday or something? What interests or passions do you have? I paint. I write shite poetry, that helps me. Long walks and classical music isn't a bad option either. :idea:

c.

PS. My sister received CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) and it worked a treat! Turned out her triggers were visual, so she had to stick post-it notes all over the house: "Don't have a cigarette, you don't need it"...etc. etc. Worked for her.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

Reg

Post by Reg »

ilk59 wrote:Thank you for your thoughts and kind words.

I will be looking into therapy/counselling.
Some forms of therapy can be effective and quite practical.

Sometimes people can train themselves to avoid the triggers that set off a train of thoughts, and "reset" their mind. Can be useful.
Roy IN!!

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

carcinogen wrote:The avoidance of ex-wives or girlfriends you once loved is a good tactic to avoid falling into a slump. Sadly for me, mine keeps showing up in the media; Sky News Press Preview, BBC3 this week......
You what? :shock:
Steady the fucken buffs there c.
You cant leave us hanging cocks out like that. I watch the Sky press preview quite often and they have some right honeys on thete sometimes. Some top posh fanny and all.

I swear if youve been bucking Michelle Dewberry then i will build a golden idol in your likeness and prostrate myself before it every sunset.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Last edited by carcinogen on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.