Depression

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
theleader82

Re: Depression

Post by theleader82 »

I suffer with depression at times . Especially in the winter months. I tend to compare myself to my older siblings and People I went to school with. My parents sent me to a posh school when I was a teen and I didn’t know anyone and never felt comfortable there . I always try and treat people the way I’d like to be treated, but sometimes wonder why I bother
Man U and rangers

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

It's always better to be nice, Leader. Be the better man if others don't treat you the same.

Great stuff about the job, Ikhlaq.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

theleader82 wrote:I suffer with depression at times . Especially in the winter months. I tend to compare myself to my older siblings and People I went to school with. My parents sent me to a posh school when I was a teen and I didn’t know anyone and never felt comfortable there . I always try and treat people the way I’d like to be treated, but sometimes wonder why I bother

You always seem like a nice chap to me Leader. That's much more important than anything else you know and it's an unfortunate fact that many people are utter bastards, so you really shouldn't worry about it if they don't return your good intentions or manners.
I think public schools either make or break people and I know quite a lot of people who found the experience effected them badly , so you're not the only one .
Anyway, I'm probably not the best person to say the right thing about this stuff, but when I read that I just wanted to offer my support and reassurance.

The best way to deal with people who don't understand common decency is to stand up to them and make sure you beat them, but I know that's sometimes easier said than done. Keep your chin up.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Royal24s wrote:
theleader82 wrote:I suffer with depression at times . Especially in the winter months. I tend to compare myself to my older siblings and People I went to school with. My parents sent me to a posh school when I was a teen and I didn’t know anyone and never felt comfortable there . I always try and treat people the way I’d like to be treated, but sometimes wonder why I bother

You always seem like a nice chap to me Leader. That's much more important than anything else you know and it's an unfortunate fact that many people are utter bastards, so you really shouldn't worry about it if they don't return your good intentions or manners.
I think public schools either make or break people and I know quite a lot of people who found the experience effected them badly , so you're not the only one .
Anyway, I'm probably not the best person to say the right thing about this stuff, but when I read that I just wanted to offer my support and reassurance.

The best way to deal with people who don't understand common decency is to stand up to them and make sure you beat them, but I know that's sometimes easier said than done. Keep your chin up.

This is correct. I've got a load of childhood friends who went to Grammar school and they generally are a bunch of right cliquey, smug bastards living and working in their little bubbles in the city and the Home Counties. I didn't get to grammar school and unfortunately, wasn't afforded the same social privileges as a result,. Was a late starter academically yet grafted and doing well now. We seem to still live in a very class ridden society where if you haven't been blessed with getting to grammar school at 10 years old, you're potentially stuffed if you want to become a professional worker for the rest of your life. There are of course exceptions to this.

The problem I see and it's not really with Leado himself but with the achievements with his siblings and this has probably affected his self esteem. His parents' expectations were probably lower and it's hard to then change your image when your peers have gone to redbrick universities and have high paid, successful careers. The way to try to get over this is to have self pride in yourself, your own achievements and maintain a decent personality. Nice guys can come out on top. I feel though that it's important to have your own identity and you can trump those smug twats some way or another.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

#savage
Build Back More Betterer

ikhlaq786

Post by ikhlaq786 »

Carlos J wrote:It's always better to be nice, Leader. Be the better man if others don't treat you the same.

Hello Carlos, sorry for the late reply but Thank you for your kind comment.
"It doesn't mean that I advocate violence, but at the same time, I am not against using violence in self-defense. I don't call it violence when it's self-defense, I call it intelligence."

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

ikhlaq786 wrote:
Carlos J wrote:It's always better to be nice, Leader. Be the better man if others don't treat you the same.

Hello Carlos, sorry for the late reply but Thank you for your kind comment.

No worries, Ikhlaq and glad things going well. And you mentioned the sea in your post. As a former resident of the most easterly town in the UK, agree being by the sea is very calming and relaxing.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

antdad

Post by antdad »

I haven't read the whole thread but if sleep is an issue be it quality or amount as can be the case with depression Melatonin can be a good non-dependent option. I occasionally use it when sleep has been poor or handy when crossing lots of time-zones however it can't be bought in the UK as it isn't recognised. Look up how it works, it's a "natural" supplement and can be had from US suppliers like iherb but don't spend more than £15 or you'll get taxed.

https://www.iherb.com/c/Melatonin?p=3

rorymac

Post by rorymac »

Good advice. I'd say do everything you can first to avoid going down the prescription meds route.
Also the advice about standing up to and beating folks is misguided if you're suffering from depression. You don't want to be fighting with people if your mental health is poor as a rule. Best of luck Ikhlaq.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

rorymac wrote:Good advice. I'd say do everything you can first to avoid going down the prescription meds route.
Also the advice about standing up to and beating folks is misguided if you're suffering from depression. You don't want to be fighting with people if your mental health is poor as a rule. Best of luck Ikhlaq.

Would say that relying only on medication is a mistake but it's also a mistake to avoid using them.
For me the best approach is meds and counselling together because you will be able to absorb more of the counselling.
When that's sorted live with the meds for a while then withdraw them slowly.
Watch for times/places that can kick off a downward spiral. Then avoid or mitigate them if you can. Like if you are going to be alone, find a job that needs doing
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Have been on Setraline since 2010 and feel it does the trick for me for normal day to day existence.
Any events over and above that are helped by the tablets but not enough to stop me shutting down.
If I stopped taking them ! :rolleyes:
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Also important to know that the meds are different and there may be a bit of try and see before you find the right one.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

caveman

Post by caveman »

A question for you all. At want point do you know you are suffering from depression and need to seek help.

Like most people I feel down from time to time. However since the start of the year that feeling has not passed and I no longer find the enjoyment in the things I used to.

I am not at the point where I can't get out of bed or function, however I know something is not right

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

You dont know.
That's the point.

Go see the quack. Explain what you've said above.
The longer you leave it the worse it will get, if indeed it is depression.
Loads of other conditions can cause low mood, worth getting checked out.

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

I fainted in my office in 1990 was out for about 30 seconds and this was diagnosed as overwork and stress.
Was off for 4 months on 20mg anti-depressant pills and although I went back to full working I was told stress would be with me for good and needed to be managed.
This developed in 2010 when my company went to the wall and went into full blown depression with years locked in my room,sleeping 18 hrs a day ,shunning all company including family and upgrading gradually to the max dosage of 200mg Setraline
Gradually got better, ventured out for walks ,shunned anyone who tried to speak to me including friends and went into a shop took a panic attack and had agoraphobia.
Has been a long battle ,got my life under some sort of control ,have had a few episodes which floor me but my life is as manageable as it is going to get. My family and friends got me through this nightmare and I will be for ever grateful and indebted to them.
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year