Whisky

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
minx

Re: Whisky

Post by minx »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:
minx wrote:Bells

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah...ok.
Don't worry, I knew that wasn't the answer he was looking for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"to be revered" ..anon..

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

Peaty Whisky is horrible ie Laphroaig. It's like eating mud.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

pugsly wrote:
subsub wrote:
shabbado wrote:Lowland?
Highland?
Peaty?

Single malt or a.poofy blend?

Spill ......

How long have you got…? :mrgreen: (I write about it for a living)

Really Sub? Ever been to the whiskey society in Edinburgh?

'Whiskey" is Irish.

subsub

Post by subsub »

pugsly wrote:
subsub wrote:
shabbado wrote:Lowland?
Highland?
Peaty?

Single malt or a.poofy blend?

Spill ......

How long have you got…? :mrgreen: (I write about it for a living)

Really Sub? Ever been to the whiskey society in Edinburgh?

No, but have been to the one in Farringdon; is v good (they've just opened another in Devonshire Square, I think).
WOKE AND PROUD

subsub

Post by subsub »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:Never a blend

Why's that, out of interest?
WOKE AND PROUD

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

subsub wrote:
Bad Blue 2000 wrote:Never a blend

Why's that, out of interest?

Blend's are rough. It's difficult to explain unless you're drinking one.
I also hate Bourbon, which I equate with alcopops.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:Blend's are rough. It's difficult to explain unless you're drinking one

I think blends are very unfairly derided. Single malts are actually blends, too, strictly speaking…

The v cheap blends are pretty basic and lack character, but there are some really good ones about.
Have you tried Johnnie Walker Black? That's really, really good (I'd avoid the Red Label, and the Blue is overpriced for what it is)

Compass Box blends are phenomenal, too.
WOKE AND PROUD

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

I live constantly with a terrible dilemma.
I see my friends, enjoying and enthusing over the various malts they are drinking. The experience appears magical.
Yet I simply cannot bear the taste of whisky; or any other spirit for that matter.
What can be done? Is there no easy way into the enjoyment of them, or must I live always deprived of such pleasures?

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:Peaty Whisky is horrible ie Laphroaig. It's like eating mud.

Did a Whisky 'tasting' last night.

My first real introduction save for a few sly drinks from rubbish like Bells when I was younger

Guy doing the tasting said that alot of people make the same mistake with peaty whisky. They start with a 10 year old Laphroaig. He said it's possibly the worst thing you can do. It's one of the most peaty whisky a there is.

I can see why peaty whisky is an acquired taste though. I can still almost feel the peatyness around my mouth despite brushing my teeth twice. Feels like I've been eating a bonfire.
A joyless arsehole.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

subsub wrote:
Bad Blue 2000 wrote:Blend's are rough. It's difficult to explain unless you're drinking one

I think blends are very unfairly derided. Single malts are actually blends, too, strictly speaking…

The v cheap blends are pretty basic and lack character, but there are some really good ones about.
Have you tried Johnnie Walker Black? That's really, really good (I'd avoid the Red Label, and the Blue is overpriced for what it is)

In what way are single malts blends?
A joyless arsehole.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

VeritasVincit wrote:I live constantly with a terrible dilemma.
I see my friends, enjoying and enthusing over the various malts they are drinking. The experience appears magical.
Yet I simply cannot bear the taste of whisky; or any other spirit for that matter.
What can be done? Is there no easy way into the enjoyment of them, or must I live always deprived of such pleasures?

I was on much the same position as yourself. Had a serious mental block when it came to whisky and avoided at all costs.

Find a good whisky pub and see if they'll do a tasting session for you? Set you up with 4 / 5 malts and give explanations as to the process for each of them. Allow you to compare / contrast.
A joyless arsehole.

subsub

Post by subsub »

VeritasVincit wrote:I live constantly with a terrible dilemma.

I'm surprised there isn't a single spirit you like, given the breadth of flavours they cover.
I suspect it's the strength of them that puts you off. I would recommend mixing them - try brandy and ginger ale or rum and coke etc and see how you get on. Bourbon is much easier to drink than Scotch, too (made with predominantly corn, so sweeter profile).
WOKE AND PROUD

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

subsub wrote:

Never tried Compass Box, just Googled it and I'll give it a go.

Never been a huge fan of JW Black.

subsub

Post by subsub »

shabbado wrote:In what way are single malts blends?

Because although they're the product of a single distillery, they're still a blend of dozens (sometimes many more) of casks.

I've tried whisky from two casks that have sat side by side in a distillery for more than a decade and they taste totally different, because there are so many variables in the cask (from where about two-thirds of whisky's flavour comes from). So each distillery will taste samples from each cask and blend and blend and blend until they reach their house style, because punters want their Balvenie 12 etc to taste the same year in, year out. If you went to Balvenie and tried six cask samples, all aged in the same type of wood and for the same period of time, I guarantee you would notice big differences between them.

So, blending is actually a very important skill when it comes to producing a single malt. Single-cask whiskies are a different matter, because they are exactly what they say they are.
WOKE AND PROUD

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Interesting stuff, cheers Sub.

If you like your Whisky check out the Pot Still in Glasgow. Some 300+ bottkes behind the bar.
A joyless arsehole.