Whisky

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Bad Blue 2000

Re: Whisky

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

shabbado wrote:
Bad Blue 2000 wrote:Peaty Whisky is horrible ie Laphroaig. It's like eating mud.

Did a Whisky 'tasting' last night.

My first real introduction save for a few sly drinks from rubbish like Bells when I was younger

Guy doing the tasting said that alot of people make the same mistake with peaty whisky. They start with a 10 year old Laphroaig. He said it's possibly the worst thing you can do. It's one of the most peaty whisky a there is.

I can see why peaty whisky is an acquired taste though. I can still almost feel the peatyness around my mouth despite brushing my teeth twice. Feels like I've been eating a bonfire.

A burnt fence. Probably a good description.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

subsub

Post by subsub »

shabbado wrote:Guy doing the tasting said that alot of people make the same mistake with peaty whisky. They start with a 10 year old Laphroaig. He said it's possibly the worst thing you can do. It's one of the most peaty whisky a there is

Yes, Laphroaig 10 was the first Islay I ever tried - big mistake. I didn't know what the hell it was - couldn't get my head round it.

I love peaty whisky now (but only now and again). But peat is a weird thing - of Islay's eight distilleries, six of them make peaty whisky, but they all taste different: Laphroaig is medicinal/iodine, Lagavulin is bonfires and tar, Ardbeg is more like smoked meat etc - all very different.
WOKE AND PROUD

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Dalwhinnie 15yo.

Dalwhinnie also do one you can serve straight from the freezer.Winters Gold. It's fucking lush

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Lovely stuff, Sido!

I used to think I disliked whisky, but the stuff I had been tasting was the Lidl SIR SEAN WALLACE CONNERY of HIGHLANDER type blended stuff. Went on a tour of the distilleries on Skye and had a job interview on Islay and fitted it around Laphroaig too.

A total novice, but the last few I bought and really liked over the past three years, actually I think these are the only ones I have bought :

Dalwhinnie 15
Bunnahabhainn
Jura (Diurach)

I've got a bottle of Rudhan (the stacking of hay) by An Cnoc - got it at Glasgow Airport and apparently it's a limited edition or maybe the sales person just told me that to stump up the 60 quid for it.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

delboy1983 wrote:All detestable

Blasphemy.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Apparently some of the supermarket own label stuff is cracking.

If you can narrow down your search to a 10 year old, single malt from Islay then you're getting the real deal with an Aldi label stuck on it. Great bargains to be had by all accounts.

Another fun fact. Laphroaig was allowed into America during the prohibition because the surgeon general refused to believe that people would drink it for pleasure
A joyless arsehole.

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

kevin04 wrote:
delboy1983 wrote:All detestable

Blasphemy.

Smell or taste not for me unfortunately
:)
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

kevin04 wrote:Lovely stuff, Sido!

I used to think I disliked whisky, but the stuff I had been tasting was the Lidl SIR SEAN WALLACE CONNERY of HIGHLANDER type blended stuff. Went on a tour of the distilleries on Skye and had a job interview on Islay and fitted it around Laphroaig too.

A total novice, but the last few I bought and really liked over the past three years, actually I think these are the only ones I have bought :

Dalwhinnie 15
Bunnahabhainn
Jura (Diurach)

I've got a bottle of Rudhan (the stacking of hay) by An Cnoc - got it at Glasgow Airport and apparently it's a limited edition or maybe the sales person just told me that to stump up the 60 quid for it.

Was the interview at a distillery?.

Apparently there's a 9th distillery opening on Islay
A joyless arsehole.

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

subsub wrote:
shabbado wrote:In what way are single malts blends?

Because although they're the product of a single distillery, they're still a blend of dozens (sometimes many more) of casks.

I've tried whisky from two casks that have sat side by side in a distillery for more than a decade and they taste totally different, because there are so many variables in the cask (from where about two-thirds of whisky's flavour comes from). So each distillery will taste samples from each cask and blend and blend and blend until they reach their house style, because punters want their Balvenie 12 etc to taste the same year in, year out. If you went to Balvenie and tried six cask samples, all aged in the same type of wood and for the same period of time, I guarantee you would notice big differences between them.

So, blending is actually a very important skill when it comes to producing a single malt. Single-cask whiskies are a different matter, because they are exactly what they say they are.

I'm not an expert, just a fan.
That's interesting stuff though.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

subsub

Post by subsub »

shabbado wrote:Laphroaig was allowed into America during the prohibition because the surgeon general refused to believe that people would drink it for pleasure

:lol:
WOKE AND PROUD

subsub

Post by subsub »

kevin04 wrote:I've got a bottle of Rudhan (the stacking of hay) by An Cnoc - got it at Glasgow Airport and apparently it's a limited edition or maybe the sales person just told me that to stump up the 60 quid for it.

:mrgreen:
Yes, they're rather good at that…
There are lots of exclusives at airports (travel retail), but unless you can taste it first, I'd be reluctant to buy it straight off the shelf.
And bottles/labels don't half talk a load of guff about the product - doesn't help the consumer at all.
WOKE AND PROUD

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

shabbado wrote:
kevin04 wrote:Lovely stuff, Sido!

Dalwhinnie 15
Bunnahabhainn
Jura (Diurach)

Was the interview at a distillery?.

Apparently there's a 9th distillery opening on Islay

Unfortunately, no. It was for a job with the council.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

subsub wrote:
kevin04 wrote:I've got a bottle of Rudhan (the stacking of hay) by An Cnoc - got it at Glasgow Airport and apparently it's a limited edition or maybe the sales person just told me that to stump up the 60 quid for it.

There are lots of exclusives at airports (travel retail), but unless you can taste it first, I'd be reluctant to buy it straight off the shelf.
And bottles/labels don't half talk a load of guff about the product - doesn't help the consumer at all.

I ended up buying it probably because it was all in Gaelic and thought it must be good and when I'm drunk enough, I'll be able to work out what it all means too, and maybe also the woman was quite attractive too. :)

subsub

Post by subsub »

kevin04 wrote:
subsub wrote:

I ended up buying it probably because it was all in Gaelic and thought it must be good and when I'm drunk enough, I'll be able to work out what it all means too, and maybe also the woman was quite attractive too. :)

:lol:
WOKE AND PROUD

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Tomorrow's thread . Vodka ! is it all that ? Apart from the alcohol content and helping depressed Russians forget what's the point of it ?
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.