Road Trips

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
VeritasVincit

Re: Road Trips

Post by VeritasVincit »

paolo wrote:I’ve just pulled up me mt Shasta and it’s five bucks a gallon

Like being back in blighty

I don't care about the price; I'd just like to be there.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Zambo wrote:
paolo wrote:any epic trips? adventures? stories?

Mid feb, i am delivering a car to toronto, return journey picking up a 58 mk1 3.4 jag from south dakota

what sights to see? I am probably buying a drone to do some filming

i sold my truck and trailer...currently no trailer, so going with an enclosed, and my tow vehicle is a 2000 ford 7.3 td dually ambulance.....not good!

weather fears, will the ambulance make it, i am looking at about 6000 miles

any tips on anything interesting to see?...will hammer it to toronto, take time on return journey, will cross to usa at bellingham, cross back to canada at niagra crossing

In SD, worth a look at Badlands National Park and Crazy Horse mem, and Mt Rushmore. Custer has some interesting scenery as well.

Deadwood in the Black Hills is a brilliant place, just how you would expect and old western town to look. Big western and native american history fan, so a visits to Wild Bill's saloon where he was gunned down by McCall was exciting for me. Wanted to cross into Montana to see the Custer battlefield, but didn't have enough time.

On a road trip taking in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Utah we stayed at the Hotel Irma in Deadwood. Built and owned by Seth Bullock. The real life Calamity Jane is buried next to Wild Bill Hickok in the cemetery that over looks Deadwood.

Deadwood and the entire Blackhills region were utterly fantastic. Didn't make it over to badlands but did Crazy Horse and Rushmore.

Stayed in the Rocket Motel, a proper throw back, in Custer.

If you're in the region then Devils Tower is worth a visit. If only to marvel at this huge lump of rock in the middle of tens of thousands of miles of flat nothing-ness.

I'd do a similar roadtrip in a heart beat. Love some Americana does me.
A joyless arsehole.

paolo

Post by paolo »

Eating fresh halibut I just caught at port renfrew
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Stop The Planned War On Iraq & Iran

End The WEF, World Bank & Other Corrupt Scumbags

Supporting African Indepedence

End The Tyranny Of The Dollar

Supporting Texas

SWL-DXER

Post by SWL-DXER »

paolo wrote:any epic trips? adventures? stories?

Wednesday 20 May 20 Ferry
Thursday 21 May 20 Nuremberg
Friday 22 May 20 Bratislava
Saturday 23 May 20 Szeged
Sunday 24 May 20 Deva
Monday 25 May 20 Sighisoara
Tuesday 26 May 20 Bacau
Wednesday 27 May 20 Chișinău
Thursday 28 May 20 Chișinău
Friday 29 May 20 Chișinău
Saturday 30 May 20 Chișinău
Sunday 31 May 20 Chișinău
Monday 1 Jun 20 Chișinău
Tuesday 2 Jun 20 Iasi
Wednesday 3 Jun 20 Suceava
Thursday 4 Jun 20 Bistrita
Friday 5 Jun 20 Baia Mare
Saturday 6 Jun 20 Satu Mare
Sunday 7 Jun 20 Kosice
Monday 8 Jun 20 Krakow
Tuesday 9 Jun 20 Katowice
Wednesday 10 Jun 20 Wroclaw
Thursday 11 Jun 20 Dresden
Friday 12 Jun 20 Leipzig
Saturday 13 Jun 20 Magdeburg
Sunday 14 Jun 20 Hannover
Monday 15 Jun 20 Munster
Tuesday 16 Jun 20 Wageningen
Wednesday 17 Jun 20 Ferry
Thursday 18 Jun 20 Home
The Iron Man of talkFORUM

SWL-DXER

Post by SWL-DXER »

paolo wrote:loved goathland and boggle hole

saw my first ever ferrari at whitby abbey

magpie cafe prior to being unable to get a seat

BECK HOLE!
The Iron Man of talkFORUM

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

My first trip was 1968, straight after university, using money earned at the tile works on the kilns.
Heading in my minivan for Dover, we broke down near Nottingham. Made the ferry though.
Then Belgium, Luxemburg, West Germany. Germany was interesting as the autobahn was packed with US Army trucks all heading east. [This was after the Russians had invaded Czechoslovakia]. Camped near Munich and woke up to find we had been at Dachau.
Then Austria and into Yugoslavia, where the whole of their army seemed to be moving around. [Those pesky Russians again].
After Yugoslavia, into Italy via Genoa, then Venice, Rimini, Rome, Florence. In Rimini a hysterical traffic policeman suddenly when quiet as he admired the Manchester United stickers on the van.
From Florence, north via Milan, into the Alps. Climbing the Saint Gotthard pass the van misbehaved and we were overtaken by cyclists going uphill. The hills were also alive with the Swiss on their regular army practice.
Struggled on, quite slowly, until Strasbourg where we got a repair done.
Drove north back into Belgium, where the tyre blew with a hole you could put a fist through.
A close call at the coast, with little petrol and not enough foreign money and no means of getting any more, so it was straight onto the ferry and home.

Everything was done on a budget as in those days, the oldsters will remember, there were restrictions on the currency you could take abroad, with an allowance for a car. Italy and Yugoslavia sold petrol coupons, in UK, so you could pay in pounds before you went.

paolo

Post by paolo »

SWL-DXER wrote:
paolo wrote:loved goathland and boggle hole

saw my first ever ferrari at whitby abbey

magpie cafe prior to being unable to get a seat

BECK HOLE!

great memories...plus spurn point.....futher down, rural lincolnshire, east and south of the city to just before the coast....my fave
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Stop The Planned War On Iraq & Iran

End The WEF, World Bank & Other Corrupt Scumbags

Supporting African Indepedence

End The Tyranny Of The Dollar

Supporting Texas

Saints11

Post by Saints11 »

VeritasVincit wrote:My first trip was 1968, straight after university, using money earned at the tile works on the kilns.
Heading in my minivan for Dover, we broke down near Nottingham. Made the ferry though.
Then Belgium, Luxemburg, West Germany. Germany was interesting as the autobahn was packed with US Army trucks all heading east. [This was after the Russians had invaded Czechoslovakia]. Camped near Munich and woke up to find we had been at Dachau.
Then Austria and into Yugoslavia, where the whole of their army seemed to be moving around. [Those pesky Russians again].
After Yugoslavia, into Italy via Genoa, then Venice, Rimini, Rome, Florence. In Rimini a hysterical traffic policeman suddenly when quiet as he admired the Manchester United stickers on the van.
From Florence, north via Milan, into the Alps. Climbing the Saint Gotthard pass the van misbehaved and we were overtaken by cyclists going uphill. The hills were also alive with the Swiss on their regular army practice.
Struggled on, quite slowly, until Strasbourg where we got a repair done.
Drove north back into Belgium, where the tyre blew with a hole you could put a fist through.
A close call at the coast, with little petrol and not enough foreign money and no means of getting any more, so it was straight onto the ferry and home.

Everything was done on a budget as in those days, the oldsters will remember, there were restrictions on the currency you could take abroad, with an allowance for a car. Italy and Yugoslavia sold petrol coupons, in UK, so you could pay in pounds before you went.

I would enjoy a very in depth write up of this trip if you have the time, would be a great read.
mentioning other members is not allowed in signatures