Where you going for your summer hols?

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Zambo

Re: Where you going for your summer hols?

Post by Zambo »

Bump for Lawns
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Thanks Zummers.

Came back from a pretty unforgettable holiday in Italy. Got a train to Stansted from Brum which took 3.5 hours but was a decent journey. Managed to get onto the Wifi at the airport to watch the whole of the first half and part of the second of the Spurs vs Villa match on Sky. Inevitably, having weathered the storm from Spuds, Eriksen came on and helped get Spuds back level. Thought we may have got a draw but getting through security, we conceded twice more through Kane-o so was gutted to find this out. The flight to Pisa was delayed and ended up getting there after 11.30 at night. Missed the city shuttle which finished at midnight and no Uber so managed to get a cab at the airport. Struck by how hot and humid it was at that time.

Checked in at the apartment and as we were close to the centre, walked out at 1.30 to the Leaning Tower and the other monuments in the main square. Back to the apartment. Got up and went back and the place was choked with tourists and it was suffocatingly hot. Got the train to Florence (or Firenze the locals prefer it to be called). One hour journey and out hotel was a five minute walk. Proble was that the AC was fucked and Mrs L kicked off with the staff with swear words changed. The owner came and after much discussion, he arranged for us to spend a night in another hotel without additional charge which was good of him. That used up three or four hours so checked in there and then got over to a swish hotel in Central Firenze to meet up with relatives who had largely come over from the US Had some lovely pasta and antipasta and had a great time. Got talking to the cab driver who was a Fiorentina season ticket holder who told me how much he and other fans despise Juve because of the match fixing scandal and Paolo Rossi in 1982! They don't forget easily do they?

Next day, we all went to Sienna up in the Tuscan Hills to attend a family wedding. There all day, enjoying some fine Italian dining at an ancient, rural castle and moved to the courtyard in the evening after the ceremony. Got back at 1.00 in the morning.

Wandered around Pitti Palace, Ponte Vecchio and the major bridge the next day. Walked across the River Arno that evening up Piazalle Michelangelo and saw stunning views over the city at sunset. Walked back around Ponte Vecchio at night and the busker playing music in the background did a great job. Got the train to the Eternal City the next day. Rome wasn't bad. Did the usual. Very unimpressed by the Spanish Steps which was five minutes walk away from our apartment, it was adjourned with a huge patchwork of flowers when I last went in 1990 but it was very plain and overrated this time. Couldn't be arsed to go inside the Coliseum this time around, but walked to the Vittoriana and around the Forum at night getting some awesome photos. Went to Vatican Sisteen Chapel and St Peter's Square and again looked to be better at night when the crowds had gone as had the pickpockets. Did the Pantheon too.

Then got a hire car closed to the Termini and drove up north for seven hours to Venice. Dreaded getting there as hadn't sorted out the car parking but broke our journey a couple of hours south in Ravenna and sorted it all out over a couple of cups of Espresso. Got there at night, parked up and got the train from Mestre to the central Stazione, Fifteen minute walk to the hotel and the views of the canals were mesmerising. Did the Grand Canal and the tour around the palace during the day. Mrs L reckoned she saw Cameron Diaz there, wouldn't really know her to be fair. Ate loads of seafood including the blackened Spaghetti and cuttlefish and squid ink. Got the see taxi around in the blazing heat, again doing it at night. The next day went to the Lido by boat and this was a very different place with lush vegetation. Got sunburnt down my back on the beach. Got back to Venice, got some moments and then back to Mestre to pick up the car.

Drove onto Verona which was a magical and beautiful city, stayed the night and then drove to Sermione on the southern tip of Late Garda, place was rammed and took over an hour to park. Then drove onto Lecco on Lake Como. Got the ferry to Belaggio and then drove down to Como which was amazingly scenic.

Went onto Turin which was very a French like city, not then impressed as it's a very car unfriendly city but then went to the Allianz Stadium to see the Juventus museum and stadium. The museum was amazing, the stadium much less so. Went to Milan and stayed the night, leaving the car and flew early the next morning to Bristol. An amazing holiday. Very much recommended.

Planning on a drive down the med coast next year from Genoa through the South of France, Marseille, Tarragona, Valencia, Barcelona to Andalucia. Not sure yet but let's see.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Sounds great, Kancut. Did a similar trip to Tuscany years back. Had a hotel 2 mins from the Leaning Tower. Did you check out Pisa's ground just round the back? Was a dilapidated, graffitied mess when saw it, but had character. Loved sitting by the river and in the cafes watching people on la passeggiata, the evening stroll.

Also got the train for a day trip to Florence, mega-chocka, the assistant at the train station not impressed with my Italian and told my to speak English. :oops:

We drove to Siena, lovely city, did you climb the Torre del Mangia? Fantastic views. Also went up to the Apuan Alps for some hiking and breathtaking scenery and cafes with punters having early morning Grappas, nice.

My favourite city was Lucca though. Small, less touristy, old city walls that you can walk round and full of history. About 20km away is the Ponte della Maddalena or known as The Devil's Bridge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponte_della_Maddalena

Bewtiful, Mike.

Rest sounds fantastic as well, :smt023 love Italy, must go back
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

paolo

Post by paolo »

Excellent report lawnsy

More on Verona please, I used to live there
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Stop The Planned War On Iraq & Iran

End The WEF, World Bank & Other Corrupt Scumbags

Supporting African Indepedence

End The Tyranny Of The Dollar

Supporting Texas

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Carlos J wrote:Sounds great, Kancut. Did a similar trip to Tuscany years back. Had a hotel 2 mins from the Leaning Tower. Did you check out Pisa's ground just round the back? Was a dilapidated, graffitied mess when saw it, but had character. Loved sitting by the river and in the cafes watching people on la passeggiata, the evening stroll.

Also got the train for a day trip to Florence, mega-chocka, the assistant at the train station not impressed with my Italian and told my to speak English. :oops:

We drove to Siena, lovely city, did you climb the Torre del Mangia? Fantastic views. Also went up to the Apuan Alps for some hiking and breathtaking scenery and cafes with punters having early morning Grappas, nice.

My favourite city was Lucca though. Small, less touristy, old city walls that you can walk round and full of history. About 20km away is the Ponte della Maddalena or known as The Devil's Bridge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponte_della_Maddalena

Bewtiful, Mike.

Rest sounds fantastic as well, :smt023 love Italy, must go back
Thanks my friend. Got a bus up to Siena so wasn’t able to do any climbing there. Loved the whole trip. Fancied going down to the Amalfi coast but ditched it before we left for the holiday and took in the lakes so don’t think I missed out.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

paolo wrote:Excellent report lawnsy

Sadly didn’t stay there long, paolo. Stopped there for the night from Venice but found it to have a lovely centre full of outdoor cafes in the centre and a square with a nice garden and fountain. It had a great vibe.

paolo

Post by paolo »

kancutlawns wrote:
paolo wrote:Excellent report lawnsy

Sadly didn’t stay there long, paolo. Stopped there for the night from Venice but found it to have a lovely centre full of outdoor cafes in the centre and a square with a nice garden and fountain. It had a great vibe.

one of my fave places, with great memories during the best time of my life

like you say, the vibe, the history, the food, the drink, the sport, the weather, the flange, the naivety.....dip in the po, lunch in the policella juliettes shiny tiddy

great report on the holiday
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Stop The Planned War On Iraq & Iran

End The WEF, World Bank & Other Corrupt Scumbags

Supporting African Indepedence

End The Tyranny Of The Dollar

Supporting Texas

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Thanks mate.

Geezer
Forum Admin

Post by Geezer »

Enjoyed reading that report kcl, only place I’ve stayed this year was one night in various places to go on an afternoon piss up.

Hull
Grimsby (cleethorpes on train)
Lincoln
Brid
Nottingham

:(
'This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption.'

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

I'm going to the Lake District on Sunday for a week. Hooemdo do a few more wainwrights. The weather will probably be rubbish but I'll just try and make the most of it.
Man U and rangers

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Just booked next year in Madrid. With investigations of a day out to Salamanca,
I have to sit at the computer with windows open for the airline and the hotel, while I ring the dog kennels to book for the faithful hound. Then all 'book' buttons get pressed.
We don't pay for the hotel until we are there and it's in Euros, so the exact cost of that is in the lap of the gods.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Put deposit on a family break in NY next April. TUI have it, hope they are safe.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

shivah

Post by shivah »

Geezer wrote:Enjoyed reading that report kcl, only place I’ve stayed this year was one night in various places to go on an afternoon piss up.

Hull
Lincoln
Brid
Nottingham

Did CENSORED know? :D
Grunt is a Chunt.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Geezer wrote:Enjoyed reading that report kcl, only place I’ve stayed this year was one night in various places to go on an afternoon piss up.

Hull
Lincoln
Brid
Nottingham

Cheers geez. Hope you're keeping well pal.

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

Is it worth wearing gaitors for walking holidays? I’ve never bothered before but thought
They could be useful
Man U and rangers