Currently Reading

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
tennisman

Re: Currently Reading

Post by tennisman »

Will look out for Syed's article, Carlos. Thanks.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

tennisman wrote:Will look out for Syed's article, Carlos. Thanks.

There were doubts in hs piece, tennisman. Shame dumped the paper on the train as could have saved paywall option and all that.

And lo, back to charity shop schlock. True crime. 50p.

Young Rose West was quite a pretty girl:

Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

carcinogen

David Letterman New Book

Post by carcinogen »

I can't find the 'last book you read' thread, so please move. But I can recommend: Letterman: The Last Giant of Late Night (2017) by Jason Zinoman

ps. If you use a Nook, I can send you the .epub file.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

kevin04

Re: David Letterman New Book

Post by kevin04 »

Always enjoyed his chat show, but wasn't he a bit odd? Even without the mainstream headlines, but from the comedians I listen to - all seem to say he was a bit of a reserved prick pre/after show, and unless you were semi-famous he wouldn't give you any time of day at all backstage, but of course on 'action' he would transform in to the greatest party host ever.

I have no idea, and I might well read that book, but a bit shit if true.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Moved, carc. And as per your posts in 'The Trip to Spain' thread, i would still like to read your Aintree report. PM if can be arsed to write it.

Anyway, always interested me about the late night show stateside. The worthiness and eulogy is great, the numbers are terrible. Corden the cunt gets less than 2M. Of course, alternative watching, but their kudos seems way greater than their reality. Plus, a lot is pure shite, see Corden again.

I always thought Letterman and Leno and maybe Carson before got great numbers, they have always been poor. The hype never equals the sum of the parts.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Man_called_sun

Post by Man_called_sun »

One day I am going to grow wings
A chemical reaction
Hysterical and useless

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

kevin04 wrote:Always enjoyed his chat show, but wasn't he a bit odd? Even without the mainstream headlines, but from the comedians I listen to - all seem to say he was a bit of a reserved prick pre/after show, and unless you were semi-famous he wouldn't give you any time of day at all backstage, but of course on 'action' he would transform in to the greatest party host ever.

Letterman is quite an introverted character. The book is really quite interesting and will explain a lot. As with many 'famous' people, the mythology that surrounds them is often just that, 'myth'. If you've got a kindle or nook e-reader, pm me and i'll send you the file.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

carcinogen wrote:
kevin04 wrote:Always enjoyed his chat show, but wasn't he a bit odd? Even without the mainstream headlines, but from the comedians I listen to - all seem to say he was a bit of a reserved prick pre/after show, and unless you were semi-famous he wouldn't give you any time of day at all backstage, but of course on 'action' he would transform in to the greatest party host ever.

Letterman is quite an introverted character. The book is really quite interesting and will explain a lot. As with many 'famous' people, the mythology that surrounds them is often just that, 'myth'. If you've got a kindle or nook e-reader, pm me and i'll send you the file.

I think my girlfriend has an Amazon kindle. Is that good?

Much obliged though.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

finchman

Post by finchman »

Whilst chilling out in Sorrento recently I read that book about Captain Sully landing his aeroplane on the Hudson River.

It was ok.
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

The Lost City of Z.

What a story! And true too.
Theres a film out of the book that I didnt know about, I must try to see it.

Its not just the story of the last great Victorian explorer Percy Fawcett and his expedition to find the legendary lost city of Z in the Amazon that never came back, and not just the story of the other expeditions that went to find Percy Fawcett's expedition and never came back, and not just the story of the expeditions that went to find the expeditions that went to find Percy Fawcett's expedition and never came back, but all of them.
Insanity.

Literally hundreds of men have died and disappeared over the past 80 years because of that expedition.
They all go in, very few come out.

TL:DR - The Amazon. Not as cuddly as Sting lets on.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

pugsly

Post by pugsly »

Living sober

Man_called_sun

Post by Man_called_sun »

A chemical reaction
Hysterical and useless

Suhari

Post by Suhari »

Started the Discworld series again, having read all of the books over the past 25 years.....but only once.

Light, enjoyable silliness.
I might have done one - not sure but possible.

Man_called_sun

Post by Man_called_sun »

A chemical reaction
Hysterical and useless

Roddy

Post by Roddy »

I may have tried to laugh at another poster for foraging around charity shop bargain bins for books.
I got The Chess Man by Peter May,Raw Spirit by Ian Banks,The Defence of the Realm by Christopher Andrew,Persian Fire by Tom Holland for under £20. 8)
You can only live in the world you know.The rest is just wishful thinking or paranoia.

"We shall not go to Canossa!"