Beginning Driving Lessons

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
m4rkb

Re: Beginning Driving Lessons

Post by m4rkb »

JimmyDee wrote:
deisegirl wrote:My instructor once rage beeped someone on my behalf ...

That reminds me ... once you pass, never ever beep anyone who's cut you up, or make "wanker" gestures. It could be anyone, a coked up tosser with a knife, anyone. There's no real point, anyway. What are they going to do; vow to moderate their inconsiderate driving practices? I don't think so.

Actually I was going to suggest keeping a handful of lorry wheelnuts in the side door which come in handy to throw at these kind of drivers. :wink: :box:

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

Third lesson today. Hoping to work on turning right today and a few left turns. Will let folks know how it goes.
"My Profile Signatures Were Crap, So I Got Rid Of Them."

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

LordLaret wrote:Third lesson today. Hoping to work on turning right today and a few left turns. Will let folks know how it goes.
When you turn left, do you still have to wind the window down, stick your right arm out and do anti-clockwise circular movements with your hand?
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Zambo wrote:
LordLaret wrote:Third lesson today. Hoping to work on turning right today and a few left turns. Will let folks know how it goes.
When you turn left, do you still have to wind the window down, stick your right arm out and do anti-clockwise circular movements with your hand?

To be fair Zambo, that's more a reflection on you knowing that's the correct procedure rather than just cutting some fucker up and giving him a middle finger if he blows the horn.

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

Zambo wrote:

Not been taught that but have read up on it. That's only if it's in emergencies and your signal isn't working, yes? :O Need to read up a bit more, had some issues at work. but onto the lesson, it went really very well! Pleased with how the left and right turns are going!

Maude

Post by Maude »

How are you finding cyclists mate?
#MAUDE4MOD

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Maude wrote:How are you finding cyclists mate?

Mainly lying dead underneath the tyres.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Maude

Post by Maude »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:

Mainly lying dead underneath the tyres.

:shock:
#MAUDE4MOD

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

I have come across a few because we are practising on an abandoned carpark but I've been giving them plenty of room. being a cyclist myself, I know what to expect. Going out on the main roads next week so hoping that goes well.

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

4th Less Updates And More:

Hello everyone. Came by with updates on how it is going. Left/Right turns are going well and the second part of my lesson went out on the road and had a few issues with assholes speeding past me or cutting me up as I was learning, which was a bit of a blow but I got to carry on.

Onto the subject at hand: I am learning with RED and have booked lessons through til the end of June and then received a text from my instructor saying he's being relocated out of his area in Northampton / Milton Keynes and cancelled all my lessons after June 10th and said I will probably be given a new instructor. What shall I do in this case? Found the guy nice to work with and very patient and such. Just curious on what to do.

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

Just an update. Due to my original instructor with Red having to go back up North to deal with family issues, I've since had to find another company to resume my lessons since Red only had one automatic instructor in my local area, which surprises me since automatics seem to be a common car nowadays and you'd think they'd have more then one but.... *shrugs*

antdad

Post by antdad »

Got any friends or family that can take you out to practice? I was lucky and blessed with god given talent and skill ;) but I still practiced a lot when I could and knocked out the test after a couple of months. Okay the test was different then (circa 1986) but the principles are the same, might be worth buying yourself a little auto now then you can pick any instructor you want as well as practice and take the test in it.

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

antdad wrote:Got any friends or family that can take you out to practice? I was lucky and blessed with god given talent and skill ;) but I still practiced a lot when I could and knocked out the test after a couple of months. Okay the test was different then (circa 1986) but the principles are the same, might be worth buying yourself a little auto now then you can pick any instructor you want as well as practice and take the test in it.

Well, that's the thing. I've been told by some friends that going out with family members or such can hamper learning and such and be biased and such, if that makes sense? I got some driving instructors in my local area that maybe a lot better than Red and will see about giving them a go.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Any practice is good practice mate
Build Back More Betterer

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

LordLaret wrote:
antdad wrote:Got any friends or family that can take you out to practice? I was lucky and blessed with god given talent and skill ;) but I still practiced a lot when I could and knocked out the test after a couple of months. Okay the test was different then (circa 1986) but the principles are the same, might be worth buying yourself a little auto now then you can pick any instructor you want as well as practice and take the test in it.

Well, that's the thing. I've been told by some friends that going out with family members or such can hamper learning and such and be biased and such, if that makes sense? I got some driving instructors in my local area that maybe a lot better than Red and will see about giving them a go.

I agree if they are trying to instruct you. Most people forget everything after a while and drive as they seem comfortable with.

But for extra practice for you without some idiot friend or family member saying "Do this or do that", extra practice isn't a bad idea.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?