Cycling

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Re: Cycling

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Get a mod haircut and act like a right fucking cunt (cue subbles)
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

antdad

Post by antdad »

Just to add again as well as shorts I can't stress enough how important a decent well-fitting saddle is to your well being especially if you're going to potentially spend hours in it. A good shop will have a "bum-o-meter" ( no, not another income stream for you cabbies) to measure your sit bone so you can pick a correctly sized saddle.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/late ... ble-205074
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/prod ... ddles-4525

lasharoo

Post by lasharoo »

Wow :shock: cheers for all the good wishes and advice lads, I knew TF would be the right place to go for this stuff........I have loads of follow up queries for you all and will do so when I get more time......if I start getting tedious with my novice questions then I apologise in advance.......nice one boys :smt023
'This is all your doing, Lash, no one else'

subsub

Post by subsub »

lasharoo wrote:Wow :shock: cheers for all the good wishes and advice lads, I knew TF would be the right place to go for this stuff........I have loads of follow up queries for you all and will do so when I get more time......if I start getting tedious with my novice questions then I apologise in advance.......nice one boys :smt023

Oh, remember to get one of those air horns to scare the fuck out of pedestrians who dare to step out on a level crossing.
Try it on some walking on the pavement, too, just for kicks :lol:
WOKE AND PROUD

antdad

Post by antdad »

Don't forget to go through some red lights, undertake some slow moving traffic swiping wing mirrors while cycling about 5 feet from the kerb. Then when you've made it to the bike box at the lights pull away really really slowly in too high a gear teetering on the edge of balance and control.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

I'm going to this on Saturday 3 November in that London, lash: https://rouleur.cc/rouleur-classic-satu ... ckets.html Only £20. Get yourself down there.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

JimmyDee wrote:Don't ride in too high a gear. Stay on the middle chain-ring for at least a month; you're meant to be cycling, not power-lifting :-)

And also nothing wrong with the 'granny gear' either: https://www.yellowjersey.co.uk/bike-gears-explained/

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

When I did my trans-Pyrenees ride some years ago my lowest gear was something like 24" equivalent :-) I've got a photo somewhere of me halfway up the Tourmalet cowering in a shelter from a sudden torrential downpour.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Ha, Jimmy. :) Envy you doing that and a classic col. Think Northern Trog of this bailiwick has done some and maybe a few L'Étapes du Tour. Nearest I want to get now is in a RV with some beers. Though as here last week: https://talkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f ... 5#p1277519
Carlos J wrote:Love cycling old friend. Going to do the Tour de Broads next year, assuming health. I'm no super Stevie Hunt though. Coincidentally, Postie delivered this yesterday:

Heard a lot about the books greatness, and as per later post in that thread, never realised he was the author of 'The Vanishing, a fantastic film. Anyway, halfway through and loving it, full review on the err 'Currently Reading' thread err after finishing it. Also got Tommy Simpson's book to read, and back to the point, classic climbs. Simpson has his monument at Ventoux. Less of a classic, Roger Rivière crashed on the Col de Perjuret and was left wheelchair bound at 24, died at 40. One thing I've always thought is hs monument, the cyclist part, is just terribly sad: :(

That both Rivière and Simpson were dopers is known but they were of their time and both are tragic.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

On a cycling tip and why not. And to follow on Jimmy. Cadence, it really is what you are comfortable with, any twat who has ridden a bike when a kid knows the gears and then can get a handle on it. People are different:

A great channel though, top cycling stuff, but like the rides they do, old pros and good fun:

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

If you want to cycle for fun it's great. If you want to cycle to live longer it's a waste of time. Walking it better. Walking pushes the blood into the brain; cycling just regurgitates the blood around your body.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

Running is better for you as you burn more calories in a shorter space of time. It's also a better all round body work out. I used to like cycling before it became mainstream
Man U and rangers

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

theleader82 wrote:Running is better for you as you burn more calories in a shorter space of time. It's also a better all round body work out. I used to like cycling before it became mainstream

Running fucks up your joints, damages your ligaments and wears your cartilage down, can be tedious and causes heart attacks. Rowing or cross training in the gym is far more controlled, is good for weight loss, burning calories and overall body toning. It's more fun too. But horses for courses.

I don't get your comment about you liking cycling until it became mainstream. That's like you saying that you liked taking anaerobic exercise until you found out that using more oxygen became mainstream. I generally exercise only for myself and wellbeing, it doesn't bother me that something becomes "mainstream". You like something because you like it not because of lazy cliches that the tabloid apply to sit.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

May I reccommend this podcast? It's heavy on Pro-cycling, but it is really rather good. One of the best sports podcasts around imo. The Cycling Podcast
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

kancutlawns wrote:
theleader82 wrote:Running is better for you as you burn more calories in a shorter space of time. It's also a better all round body work out. I used to like cycling before it became mainstream

Running fucks up your joints, damages your ligaments and wears your cartilage down, can be tedious and causes heart attacks. Rowing or cross training in the gym is far more controlled, is good for weight loss, burning calories and overall body toning. It's more fun too. But horses for courses.

I don't get your comment about you liking cycling until it became mainstream. That's like you saying that you liked taking anaerobic exercise until you found out that using more oxygen became mainstream. I generally exercise only for myself and wellbeing, it doesn't bother me that something becomes "mainstream". You like something because you like it not because of lazy cliches that the tabloid apply to sit.

Running is less expensive, inclusive, less aggressive . Runners don’t wear little cameras looking for conflict with drivers. Thereia more freedom with running
Man U and rangers