Cycling

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
lasharoo

Cycling

Post by lasharoo »

I have searched for a cycling thread but alas no joy so I thought I would start one, apologies if I'm stepping on someone else's toes and mods please merge if there is a thread about it already.

I have got thoroughly pissed off with going to the gym so I thought I would give cycling a go instead, after doing a bit of research and watching a few youtube vids I have purchased a Trek Dual Sport 1 hybrid bike, it's being delivered on Friday and I'm pretty keen to get cycling, I did a test ride outside the shop on one and it was my first time in the saddle for donkeys years, it felt quite strange at first but thankfully I never crashed into anybody :)

I am going to stay off the roads as much as possible and aim to do dedicated cycle routes, as a novice any advice about what kind of essential kit I will need to take with me would be much appreciated (hopefully there is quite a few cyclists in the bailiwick) off the top of my head I reckon I need a puncture repair kit, a pump and one of those swiss army knife thingys with the allen keys etc on it for adjusting the seat and brakes and stuff, I have been reading up on gel seat covers as well........has anyone got any recommendations?
'This is all your doing, Lash, no one else'

Bad Blue 2000

Re: Cycling

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

I got a bike a couple of months ago and I love it, it's a brilliant form of exercise.

Make sure you get the seat height right ie if you have a wobble(which you will), be sure that your foot isn't too far from the ground to catch yourself.

A water bottle holder is pretty essential, especially in this weather.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

lasharoo

Post by lasharoo »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:I got a bike a couple of months ago and I love it, it's a brilliant form of exercise.

Make sure you get the seat height right ie if you have a wobble(which you will), be sure that your foot isn't too far from the ground to catch yourself.

Cheers BB, if I may I will pick your brains more during the week :smt023
'This is all your doing, Lash, no one else'

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

A Batman one is also available.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Good luck Lash. As already said, a great way to exercise. Very good form of cardio, whilst keeping weight of the hip and knee joints.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

ToRmAtO
Winner POTY - 2007 !!!!

Post by ToRmAtO »

Zambo wrote:Good luck Lash. As already said, a great way to exercise. Very good form of cardio, whilst keeping weight of the hip and knee joints.

Totally agree.

On a little side note, I have one of those mini-bike exercisers and will pedal around 8,000 steps (roughly 2700 per hour) whilst watching the telly most nights
Godwin's law

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

You’ll enjoy it Lash. A lot of the roads now are a nightmare to cycle on due to the condition of them

I used to do quite a lot, and dusted the bike down this year, one thing I’ve NEVER done tho is buy or wear lycra.....

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

lasharoo wrote:
Bad Blue 2000 wrote:I got a bike a couple of months ago and I love it, it's a brilliant form of exercise.

Cheers BB, if I may I will pick your brains more during the week :smt023

No probs mate :)
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

antdad

Post by antdad »

Despite Henry's advice if you're going to do some miles in the saddle then your next investment should be a decent pair of cycling shorts, don't skimp they will literally save your ass. If you don't want to go full mamil you can always wear loose fitting over-shorts but no need to suffer the chafe or a bruised perineum these days. Don't bother with a seat cover, replace the seat to suit you and your needs ...you've bought an okay bike but the money isn't spent there so have a look at seats from Selle but befriend a bike shop and see what you find comfortable. Ive been a rider for erm well too many years, start slow build up your distance and fitness...no point feeling wiped out for days. A means of recording your distance,time etc can be decent motivation with plenty of bike computers and phone apps to help you do that. Word of warning though, many years ago having bought a fancy custom frame I was looking down at my bike computer for a touch too long I actually ploughed into the back of a small van...broke his rear window, knocked myself out and buckled and therefore ruined the frame on it's very first outing. :cry: :lol:
Last edited by antdad on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

Fair advice mate. I always wear football shorts only, arse like a Japanese flag sometimes tho

antdad

Post by antdad »

:)

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Love cycling lash. Echo antdad on cycling shorts if lots of riding and get baggy if not wanting lycra. Once you get into it, you'll be hooked. Fortunate here that am in the countryside within a couple of miles and short hops to the Broads and coasts.

Happy cycling.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

subsub

Post by subsub »

antdad wrote:A means of recording your distance,time etc can be decent motivation with plenty of bike computers and phone apps to help you do that

Yes, ant-o. I use Runkeeper which is good (and free).
Gives updates every 10 minutes or so with number of miles cycled, overall time and avg pace per mile.
WOKE AND PROUD

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Don't ride in too high a gear. Stay on the middle chain-ring for at least a month; you're meant to be cycling, not power-lifting :-)
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Re the shorts...

The advice to get cycling shorts is sound. They should have a piece of memory foam or similar sewn into the base- not only to protect your bum but also your man bits.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you