Swimming

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
kevin04

Swimming

Post by kevin04 »

Good luck to Lash and his cycling plans and a very good thread that I enjoy reading, I may well get a bike next spring ; but anyhoos.

I live close to a pool which I have a free swimming card for (thanks to my job) so thought I should try and use it. By christ, it was tough! I am reasonably fit - run, walk munros/hills, gym/HIIT, etc - but I went yesterday and that was the hardest thing I've ever done. Was absolutely shattered after doing 8 lengths to finish and felt like I was going to faint at the end of it! Puffing and panting for about 5 minutes - knackered all over - and even putting my jeans on was a task!

Havering a bit, but..

Does anyone swim regularly? And any tips for idiots like me who seem to punch and flap through the water for two lengths before a wee break?

Thanks in advance.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

ToRmAtO
Winner POTY - 2007 !!!!

Re: Swimming

Post by ToRmAtO »

kevin04 wrote: Does anyone swim regularly? And any tips for idiots like me who seem to punch and flap through the water for two lengths before a wee break?
Does the water turn purple?
Godwin's law

rorymac

Post by rorymac »

The puffing and panting combined with punching and flapping are a mistake. This is why so many folks drown at sea Kevin. Stay calm and float and breathe calmly until help arrives. Stay safe mate please.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

I'm safe, Rors. I followed that lady's advice (the one in the Adriatic) and practised Yoga whilst singing to myself.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

You're like me, Kevin when swimming, knackered after not many lengths. Was going too quickly, just go a nice pace and then build up distance and speed over time. Don't be afraid of being overtaken by old dears.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Swimming for survival only, have to find other exercise, hate cold water and the feel of it.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Swimming's excellent for body conditioning, stamina and making you feel good. I hated it when I was young and always felt scared as I feared drowning. Started getting into it when I was in my early twenties at the health club I joined. Started really loving it. We're lighter than the water and as there's greater resistance swimming, it really makes you work hard.

You never know when you may need it for survival purposes so I would encourage people here to learn to swim. If you enjoy it, all the better.

subsub

Post by subsub »

kevin04 wrote:Does anyone swim regularly? And any tips for idiots like me who seem to punch and flap through the water for two lengths before a wee break?

Thanks in advance.

I don't swim much but there is a pool at my local gym.
I would advise doing breaststroke not front crawl if you want to swim for half-an-hour or more.
I just go in the slow lane and don't try to swim like Adam Peaty - you'll be fucked after a few lengths.

Swimming is definitely one of the best activities you can do, though - exercises every muscle group and is non-impact.
One tip I read about breaststroke is that the legs do most of the work, so don't just do a big sweep of the arms - your legs should be doing most of the work. And remember to cup your hands doing the outward sweep to maximise your momentum - loads of people keep their fingers apart, which is daft.
WOKE AND PROUD

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

I would suggest two things 1. ear plugs and 2. see if the pool does adult swimming lessons so you can get some help tuning your stokes.

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

If you’re doing front crawl and plan to do a few lengths breath after every 2 strokes on the same side, ten you’ll get in a rhythm and get less puffed out. Keep your fingers locked together and as they enter the water push back . You can use a float for your arms and legs to develop strength and stamina
Man U and rangers

antdad

Post by antdad »

If you're serious about continuing to swim invest in a lesson or two at your swimming baths as it shouldn't be as hard as it sounds like it is for you. We usually get taught badly as kids and as long as we can swim a length or two we're then left to our own devices but breathing and technique are crucial, youtube is also your friend.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Once you've had some lessons find an open water club and we can compare ear infections.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Cheers to everyone!

I'll probably go on Wednesday again, and give both the breathing/tips vids a go plus breath stroke.

Cheers again lads! Top, top fellas!

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

An aquantence of mine is best friends with Sharon Davies. Sharon is hyper-sexual and fucking is her hobby (apparently). Maybe a vigourous sex regime could stiumulate your swimming aventure. It certainly works for Sharon. Old Mark Foster likes to fuck too, albeit in the bushes with random men in a carpark near Gatwick. But I see a pattern forming ... sex and swimming. Keep it up my man! Literally.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

pugsly

Post by pugsly »

carcinogen wrote:An aquantence of mine is best friends with Sharon Davies. Sharon is hyper-sexual and fucking is her hobby (apparently). Maybe a vigourous sex regime could stiumulate your swimming aventure. It certainly works for Sharon. Old Mark Foster likes to fuck too, albeit in the bushes with random men in a carpark near Gatwick. But I see a pattern forming ... sex and swimming. Keep it up my man! Literally.

:lol: :lol: ffs