Recommended read

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Two Crows

Recommended read

Post by Two Crows »

Recommended read - "Bring on the Empty Horses" by David Niven.

Called by many as the greatest book ever written about Hollywood. Set during the Golden Age of Hollywood (early 30s - early 60s) David Niven brilliantly shares tales of his experiences with the studio system, movie moguls and with great hilarity his escapades with the movie greats of the era.

My dad had a copy of this book in the house back in the day and I must have read it about six times as a teenager. So I was delighted to get my hands on a copy recently, and much to my delight I found it every bit as riveting now as I did when I was a teenager, 15ys ago :P . Brilliant read and so well written by the genius that was David Niven.

I've sent away for "The Moon's a Balloon" by David Niven. I'll let y'all know my verdict.

Dieu Le Roi.

carcinogen

Re: Recommended read

Post by carcinogen »

Blimey. I didn't take Mr. Niven as a literary giant. Fair play. I think I'll give it a swerve, but glad you enjoyed. :)
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

Two Crows

Post by Two Crows »

Recommended read. "The Three Degrees" - (The men who changed British football forever).

The face of football was so different back in the seventies. Read how Laurie Cunningham, Brendan Batson and Cyrille Regis ran the gauntlet of racial abuse for years, and with bravery, dignity, and sheer football ability overcame the terrace bigots to pave the way for others and create the multi-cultural game we share today.

Compelling stories of camaraderie, not just among the players and within the club, but also in the wider local community which both loved and protected their adopted sons against the horrendous abuse targeted towards them.

The team played fast, exciting winning football. Unfortunately it proved to be all to brief for the Albion as Manchester United and Real Madrid pillaged our goodies with their purse strings.

We could have been contenders, we could have ruled the world. :P It just didn't last long enough. But the legacy we contributed to the football world at the time was a telling one for sure.

So proud. 8)

Dieu Le Roi.

Two Crows

Post by Two Crows »

carcinogen wrote:Blimey. I didn't take Mr. Niven as a literary giant. Fair play. I think I'll give it a swerve, but glad you enjoyed. :)

Do yourself a favour son. If you have time on your hands - read Mr Niven for sure.

One word - entertaining.
Dieu Le Roi.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

A lot of the stories in both books are, shall we say, 'embellished' & many better more accurate and interesting ones left out. But Niven was a fantastically entertaining writer and both books are really recommended. Also Niven's biography , 'Niv' is recommended.

Niven was a good actor and fantastic film star who stumbled into Hollywood fame out of desperation after losing all his army pay off cash in an indoor horse racing scam in New Jersey and owing money to and Italian gentlemen (those stories are true). And he lead a compellingly interesting and unexpectedly tragic life.
He is one of my favourite film stars and Separate Tables is a wonderful and surprisingly modern themed film that Niven thoroughly deserved his Oscar for. And the cast is pretty stellar too.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

The Bible is good.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Basualdo wrote:A lot of the stories in both books are, shall we say, 'embellished' & many better more accurate and interesting ones left out.

I read them when I was about 11, and enjoyed them.

That’s not a criticism, by the way.

Might re-read them some time.
Roy IN!!