Park runs

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Vespa

Re: Park runs

Post by Vespa »

subsub wrote:
Zambo wrote:
subsub wrote:
Zambo wrote:If you run on hard surfaces, you could well fuck your below waist joints later on in life. Run on grass

Not necessarily:
https://www.outsideonline.com/1784266/b ... nees#close

Hence this bit...could well. That equals may/might.

I think there is a risk underpinned by those who have had knee and hip problems linked to hard surface running. Some will get away with it, some won't.

Different 'experts' will have different opinions.

Came out bottom on this one

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/health/ ... -surfaces/

I always thought that asphalt etc was bad for your knees, but a friend of mine who has done umpteen marathons says that's a fallacy.
As you say, Zambo, probably affects different people in different ways.

Lods of evidence that running improves your knees, for example, https://bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/5/1/e000586

Sports injuries tend to be accidents or poor technique. My worst running injuries from tripping up a curb.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Vespa wrote:
subsub wrote:
Zambo wrote:
subsub wrote:
Zambo wrote:If you run on hard surfaces, you could well fuck your below waist joints later on in life. Run on grass

Not necessarily:

I think there is a risk underpinned by those who have had knee and hip problems linked to hard surface running. Some will get away with it, some won't.

I always thought that asphalt etc was bad for your knees, but a friend of mine who has done umpteen marathons says that's a fallacy.

Lods of evidence that running improves your knees, for example, https://bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/5/1/e000586

Sports injuries tend to be accidents or poor technique. My worst running injuries from tripping up a curb.

Well there you go, if you hadn't been running in the road on a hard surface you wouldn't have tripped up a kerb. :D
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Zambo wrote:
Vespa wrote:
subsub wrote:
Zambo wrote:
subsub wrote:

Not necessarily:

Well there you go, if you hadn't been running in the road on a hard surface you wouldn't have tripped up a kerb. :D

I really should wear crash pads.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Started running a couple of months ago and been going three times a week, slowly ramping up. Decided in my infinite wisdom to do two cycles of walking and running yesterday. Morning run was fine, no problems. Had a second wind and decided to go again during the lunchtime and had some pain in my groin region. Looks like I have Abductor Tendonitis and it felt worse last night. Have to pack up up running for a while now and do quite a bit of stretching exercises such as hip flexor stretch, glutal stretch and hip abductor stretch. Has anyone else had this problem?

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

This is a bastard. Have had a niggle long term, but fortunately it doesn't stop me exercising although tend to do more on exercise bike these days than jogging. Sounds like you are doing all of the right things, just don't over do it and don't start running again until you are pain free.

Could write a book on sports injuries, and the best advice I think is rest and treatment, and not going back too early.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Yeah mate. Never really ran much before. Just decided one weekend in early September to start, had a sharp pain in my heel and that went after a while, which I was happy with. It's a great feeling actually running, bit crap with my current route as we're well into autumn and muddy with all the rain so might have to go to the park more or do some road running which is a bit up and down. You're right, there are niggles and sometimes it's just a case of warming up affected regions and get on with it but the flip thing is that you could end up aggravating the injury and doing yourself some harm.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

kancutlawns wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:46 am Started running a couple of months ago and been going three times a week, slowly ramping up. Decided in my infinite wisdom to do two cycles of walking and running yesterday. Morning run was fine, no problems. Had a second wind and decided to go again during the lunchtime and had some pain in my groin region. Looks like I have Abductor Tendonitis and it felt worse last night. Have to pack up up running for a while now and do quite a bit of stretching exercises such as hip flexor stretch, glutal stretch and hip abductor stretch. Has anyone else had this problem?
Being a pussy?

No mate
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Never ran, never will
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

subsub

Post by subsub »

kancutlawns wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:46 am Have to pack up up running for a while now and do quite a bit of stretching exercises such as hip flexor stretch, glutal stretch and hip abductor stretch
Lawns be like:
WOKE AND PROUD

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

kancutlawns wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:20 pm Yeah mate. Never really ran much before. Just decided one weekend in early September to start, had a sharp pain in my heel and that went after a while, which I was happy with. It's a great feeling actually running, bit crap with my current route as we're well into autumn and muddy with all the rain so might have to go to the park more or do some road running which is a bit up and down. You're right, there are niggles and sometimes it's just a case of warming up affected regions and get on with it but the flip thing is that you could end up aggravating the injury and doing yourself some harm.
You mentioned glute stretch exercises so you might be doing this one. This is for right leg problem. Anyway sit upright on a chair. Lift right leg and place outside of right ankle on top of left knee. If you have a groin problem your right knee will probably be around 45 degs to your left one. The aim is to eventually get your right knee level with your left.

Now using your right hand push your right knee down until you feel pain and hold for 10 secs. Repeat three times to start with. This is also an excellent exercise for the muscles around and behind your hip. The idea is to stretch them so that when you get back running there is a lighter load.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Yeah, did a number of stretches earlier in the evening. My abs feel better, pain seems to have subsided. Need really to work on my lower body strength and do the sort of stretches I used to do previously. Cheers for the sorts of stretches I need to do, they really will help. You running much these days yourself, Zummers?

gheko

Post by gheko »

Get yourself one of these.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

kancutlawns wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:53 pm Yeah, did a number of stretches earlier in the evening. My abs feel better, pain seems to have subsided. Need really to work on my lower body strength and do the sort of stretches I used to do previously. Cheers for the sorts of stretches I need to do, they really will help. You running much these days yourself, Zummers?
Not much. Go for a daily brisk walk and do some couple of hundred metre jogs. Do 10k in 20 mins 3 times a week on exercise bike, and weights and body exercises at home daily. That keeps my weight steady without having to watch the calories.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Zambo wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:17 pm
kancutlawns wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:53 pm Yeah, did a number of stretches earlier in the evening. My abs feel better, pain seems to have subsided. Need really to work on my lower body strength and do the sort of stretches I used to do previously. Cheers for the sorts of stretches I need to do, they really will help. You running much these days yourself, Zummers?
Not much. Go for a daily brisk walk and do some couple of hundred metre jogs. Do 10k in 20 mins 3 times a week on exercise bike, and weights and body exercises at home daily. That keeps my weight steady without having to watch the calories.
Great stuff. You're right. One benefit about the lockdown has been (largely) dispensing with takeaway food and making healthy stuff.