Smart Meters

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Jonathan

Smart Meters

Post by Jonathan »

Keep getting bugged to change to one. Anyone got experience of them ?

Zambo

Re: Smart Meters

Post by Zambo »

Jonathan wrote:Keep getting bugged to change to one. Anyone got experience of them ?

Same here, told them to fuck off and take me off their list. Too many problems still, but they won't make any difference to me anyway. The only think I was concerned about, was the reports that those with smart metres may get better deals on tariffs, but I have it in writing from my supplier that won't happen.

I just put my meter readings in on-line once a month and it generates a bill, and a direct debit is calculated each month. That's all I need,
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Zambo wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Keep getting bugged to change to one. Anyone got experience of them ?

Same here, told them to fuck off and take me off their list. Too many problems still, but they won't make any difference to me anyway. The only think I was concerned about, was the reports that those with smart metres may get better deals on tariffs, but I have it in writing from my supplier that won't happen.

I just put my meter readings in on-line once a month and it generates a bill, and a direct debit is calculated each month. That's all I need,

That’s all I do. I read that having one can restrict your ability to change suppliers as they are not compatible with all of them.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Sounds bollocks and against any free movement.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Heard a couple of weeks that the government is way short of it’s target for getting smart meters installed in every household by 2022. To do that, they would need to install one every two minutes between now and then. Only about 40% of all households have had them installed.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Jonathan wrote:
Zambo wrote:

That’s all I do. I read that having one can restrict your ability to change suppliers as they are not compatible with all of them.

Is correct. Whoever drew up the regulations didn't consider that.
I don't use mine to track usage.
But because I am often away it does mean by bill is always accurate.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

So is mine, because I record actual readings once a month. Who needs 'smart'. I don't need Alexa to switch my lounge light on either, I just get off my arse and flick the switch.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Cheap tariffs now to entice customers will be replaced by dear tariffs later to recoup the loss and then up profits further.
Variable tariffs are on the cards too which definitely won't mean fuel is dearer at meal times and winter. You can of course eat at 4 of clock in the mormning when it will be.

Plus they're a waste of fucking time. Knowing you're using more energy when you boil a kettle than when you don't isn't going to make most people switch it off which is why they save you about 10p a year if that. Most things are more energy efficient anyway so unless you want to sit in darkness to save even more you'd be advised to just keep the fucking light on.

Naturally these companies are in such a lucky position every saving we make results in them issuing a profits warning so they can put the peice up anyway if we're not using enough.

They keep pestering me about installing one telling me they've book an appointment for an engineer to come round and I tell them I've already got a smart meter. You can see by how fast the wheel spins how much you're using. Secondly I can work it out myself by co0mmon sense. If I want exact consumption like they tell me I would benefit from I can sling a clamp meter around one of the tails and get the measure.

There's absolutely no benefit at all with them it will eventually turn into a profit making exercise which is the intention.

But they will alert the companies if you're fiddling the meter which is rife.