Liverpool

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Carlos J
Forum Admin

Liverpool

Post by Carlos J »

Noted today that Rugby League's socalled 'Magic Weekend' is at Anfield, and pondered, never been, Mike, to Liverpool, err obviously Anfield and a Rugger League game and was off that week anyway. Always sort of liked Hull KR from childhood watching, so went for the Sunday as they're on first. So yay, got a ticket in the Kop for 20 nicker for three games, NHS £5 discount taken off, but they didn't ask. :?

So off to Scouseland for three days in May. Happy to have any good opinions of things to do, though visitliverpool is pretty good with a 48hr guide and know a lot I want to see.

Did note as it is 'Magic Weekend', the fucking hotel prices were ramped up from usual and lots booked, but got one ok about 10 minutes from Lime Street.

One thing I will do is the U-boat Story on the Wirral: https://www.visitliverpool.com/things-t ... ry-p229341

Boring tale alert #2473 My old man went to Liverpool last year, did all the Cavern and Anfield stuff, but was pissed off he didn't see it. A top man, Nam guru, but has some slight famial connection to Liverpool as do I. Think I've posted about this before but none come up, so maybe old forum. Submarine HMS Thetis was built in Birkenhead, launched in Liverpool Bay in 1939 and sunk with 99 souls: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Thetis_(N25)

Lives lost at sea tend to be graves, but this was wartime so it was salvaged and refitted and renamed as HMS Thunderbolt. And thus it was to go again. All sailors were aware of the history and did not have to go aboard. Yet many did, my dad's uncle, my grandad's brother, and lo, HMS Thunderbolt was sunk off Sicily in 1943, all 62 hands down.

The old man, coincidentally, went to Sicily last year for his wedding anniversary and was hoping to find some wreck solace but didn't.

But as said, 'This makes Thetis one of the few military vessels that have been lost twice with her crew in their service history'.

But hey, and as per speaking of Birkenhead, two of my great old housemates are bad wools from West Kirby.

All opinions greatfully received and thanks in advance. And from our dear leader. :prayer: :prayer:

And ha this old thread: https://talkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27884
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Re: Liverpool

Post by Carlos J »

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Maritime museum
International Museum of Slavery
Beatles story if so inclined.
Stay away from Mathew St for beers.. Head to bold street and surrounding area for cool vibes
Chinatown, especially wongs, good for cheap after midnight eats

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Brookside Close
Ron Dickos Moby on tour 2019
The steps where Damon got stabbed up
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Monello

Post by Monello »

Don't go on the Duck unless you want to get a soaking

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Brookside Close
Ron Dickos Moby on tour 2019
The steps where Damon got stabbed up

The sauna where Greg Shadwick bucked Susannah Farnham.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

If Susannah is there, a deal. Some top tips chaps.

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

Carlos J wrote:If Susannah is there, a deal. Some top tips chaps.

A friend from my time at Liverpool University (we played in the football team together) knows the author of this book, a Liverpudlian and he sent me a copy of his book.

I've just finished it.

Its a very good combination of history and guide.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liverpool-gate ... 3864605733

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Looks a good book, TM. Thanks.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Sid Pervcat wrote:Maritime museum
International Museum of Slavery

Beatles story if so inclined.
Stay away from Mathew St for beers.. Head to bold street and surrounding area for cool vibes
Chinatown, especially wongs, good for cheap after midnight eats

Nice they are free with donations so a definite visit, though would have anyway. Booked Mersey ferry which includes admission to the u-boat exhibition on Woolly land.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

There is a Tate down t’ Albert Dock.

But only if Modern Art is your bag.

There is a Da Vinci exhibition on at the Walker but I think that finishes soon.

Lark Lane, just south of the city centre and near Sefton Park has a great Bohemian feel to it.

Funky restaurants and bars.

In town, Jamie Oliver’s restaurant on Paradise Street is hard to beat.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

genehunt1973

Post by genehunt1973 »

Carlos J wrote:Noted today that Rugby League's socalled 'Magic Weekend' is at Anfield, and pondered, never been, Mike, to Liverpool, err obviously Anfield and a Rugger League game and was off that week anyway. Always sort of liked Hull KR from childhood watching, so went for the Sunday as they're on first. So yay, got a ticket in the Kop for 20 nicker for three games, NHS £5 discount taken off, but they didn't ask. :?

So off to Scouseland for three days in May. Happy to have any good opinions of things to do, though visitliverpool is pretty good with a 48hr guide and know a lot I want to see.

Did note as it is 'Magic Weekend', the fucking hotel prices were ramped up from usual and lots booked, but got one ok about 10 minutes from Lime Street.

One thing I will do is the U-boat Story on the Wirral: https://www.visitliverpool.com/things-t ... ry-p229341

Boring tale alert #2473 My old man went to Liverpool last year, did all the Cavern and Anfield stuff, but was pissed off he didn't see it. A top man, Nam guru, but has some slight famial connection to Liverpool as do I. Think I've posted about this before but none come up, so maybe old forum. Submarine HMS Thetis was built in Birkenhead, launched in Liverpool Bay in 1939 and sunk with 99 souls: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Thetis_(N25)

Lives lost at sea tend to be graves, but this was wartime so it was salvaged and refitted and renamed as HMS Thunderbolt. And thus it was to go again. All sailors were aware of the history and did not have to go aboard. Yet many did, my dad's uncle, my grandad's brother, and lo, HMS Thunderbolt was sunk off Sicily in 1943, all 62 hands down.

The old man, coincidentally, went to Sicily last year for his wedding anniversary and was hoping to find some wreck solace but didn't.

But as said, 'This makes Thetis one of the few military vessels that have been lost twice with her crew in their service history'.

But hey, and as per speaking of Birkenhead, two of my great old housemates are bad wools from West Kirby.

All opinions greatfully received and thanks in advance. And from our dear leader. :prayer: :prayer:

And ha this old thread: https://talkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27884

Hull KR? :lol: Hull FC should be your team Carlos
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

The End

Post by The End »

Carlos J wrote:If Susannah is there, a deal. Some top tips chaps.

Wasn't she also Bob from Blackadder?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

According to Mr Wiki, the actress who play Bob played Patricia Farnham, Max's second wife, End.
genehunt1973 wrote:[...]
Hull KR? :lol: Hull FC should be your team Carlos

Don't really follow them, Gene, just liked them when a kid.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Ruins of boardmans chippy
Doddys accountant
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN