Job gone

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
kancutlawns

Job gone

Post by kancutlawns »

Just finished my latest contract. Not going to say who it was with but it was going swimmingly given that the company was going through some financial turbulence. Anyway, no indication was given that I was going to have my contract terminated but got a call from agency over a week ago telling me they were terminating my contract that day.

Felt pretty shocked as to the suddenness of this and kept the news to myself. Had lunch with a close team mate but still kept it to myself. No word during the day from my line manager and he avoid led saying a word to me. Was going into a meeting towards the end of the working day with the guy I had lunch with he came up to me to tell me he had bad news for me. I knew what was coming and he told me our line manager had informed me I was being let go.

I raged at my colleague telling asking him “why the fuck has he sent you to tell me news I already knew and why are you delivering the news to me?” He felt very uncomfortable. He then added that the manager messaged him to ask him to pick up my laptop and ID from me!

Another team member joined us in the meeting room and he was told the news and was stunned. Team worked very well, delivered on time despite the twattish behaviour of the management. We were dynamic, hard working and efficient.

So came out of the meeting with steam literally coming out of my ears. I went up to the line manager and demanded rather vocally that he came with me. He reluctantly moved. Got him in the room and demanded he told me what was going on, why he didn’t have the decency to tell me my contract was being terminated, why he couldn’t speak to me all day even though he sat two seats down from me for three hours and why he asked someone else to do his dirty work for him. He could hardly say anything and he was shaking as he got the full Lawnsy hairdryer treatment. I was pretty disgusted as you have probably guessed by now and he got a mouthful from me that he was incapable of communicating, leading, instructing and pretty much everything eise. I finished by saying he could take the laptop and ID card and I would go somewhere else where I am treated as a human being.

Got up left the room with the fucker still shaking, went downstairs with my colleagues, had a coffee with them and wished them well as I left.

Been in touch with one of them since and his moral’s very low. Anyway, about to start putting together an email to Head of Department to give him an account of what happened as I’m not going to allow that manager get away with it. There are ways to treat people and this not it.

You do despair with people sometimes but this has made me a more defiant person because of it.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Re: Job gone

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Time to start up Lawns International. No more working for the man. Grab the ball and run with it MeinKankz.
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Cunts the lot of them. Management in the technology industry don’t want people who can think outside the box, can improve things independently, can challenge current ways of working or add value. They feel threatened with anyone who thinks this way, they only want desk johnnies who are malleable and do what they want even though this could fly against the face of proper working.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Not many are born to lead MeinLawnz
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

subsub

Post by subsub »

Sorry to hear that, lawns-o.
Chin up, mate, and good on you for telling them what you thought of them.
WOKE AND PROUD

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Cheers mate, am actually using my gardening leave to the letter and have done a load of tidying up in the past week. :)

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Bastards Lawns, I learned early in my career how to manage people including letting them go.
Explaining the reasoning behind the decision, confirming a reference will be given and include this reason for letting them go.
Faceless management who cannot man up ,dodge giving bad news invariably suffer the same treatment themselves..
Sounds like you will have no trouble getting work and here's hoping you encounter better employers next time
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Thanks del, that's the thing I don't mind bad news. Just steel yourself and tell the other person, you get respect for it. That twat didn't posses once ounce of dignity, honesty or self awareness. I don't mind the contract going, that's life but at least front up.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Good luck my Lawns.
Roy IN!!

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

subsub wrote:Sorry to hear that, lawns-o.
Chin up, mate, and good on you for telling them what you thought of them.

My thought's exactly, Sub.

If that's how they treat people, you are better off not working for a wanker like that, Lawnsy.

Good luck finding a new (hopefully better) job!

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

I blame Brexit.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

The End

Post by The End »

Lawns, exactly the same thing happened to me two weeks ago. Cried for three days at the sheer injustice of everything. Then went on the piss for 10 days.

Got an interview tomorrow for a new job.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Sorry you had that experience.

Sadly there are these people about, who want the kudos of being a manager as long as they can avoid the tricky bits.

That's what I have said here repeatedly. The level of managerial competence and integrity in the UK is shockingly low. We still treat it as an amateur activity and we are leagues behind other countries in this respect.

It's one of the reasons so much is outsourced. A bit tricky? Get someone else to do it, who can do it no better, but at least you can deflect the blame.

Yet something else that Brexit may serve to expose...that many of the flaws in our industry and economy have absolutely nothing to do with the EU, bureaucracy, health and safety, political correctness, diversity or any of the other usual lame excuses. By and large our managers are not good enough.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Bad news, kancut and he sounds a right cunt. Best wishes for the future.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

One of the good guys, best of luck with your search.
There's no poem, just prose.