For any Mechanics out there

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Zambo

For any Mechanics out there

Post by Zambo »

Mrs Zs car 4 weeks old, 800 miles on the clock. I was getting it out of the garage a couple of days ago and noticed that when I engaged reverse gear the gear stick came up, and it felt like only the hood stopped it coming away in my hand. It went back OK and have been driving it around without problems. Taking it back to the dealer for a one month check next week and I'll be asking all the questions, why, how, and what it takes to fix. Just thought I'd get any views so I know how to approach if given any shit. Essentially would like to know what secures the gear stick to the shift assembly, and what anyone thinks the problem could be as it's just seems to be on reverse. Have looked extensively on-line without any luck.

Ghost, if you read this, scrapping has already been considered. :D
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

antdad

Re: For any Mechanics out there

Post by antdad »

I don't quite follow your description, are you saying when you engage reverse gear it attempts to jump out of that gear and you basically have to hold it in place? If so is it repeatable and if you don't hold onto the gear stick does it actually jump out of gear into neutral in which case it's probably a gearbox job ie. removal and fix.

If it's just the gear stick poping out or coming loose in reverse gear and no other it shouldn't be, again can you repeat the fault? If it's an issue with the linkage it shouldn't be too big a deal to fix as access should be straight forward other than having to wait for parts IF you have to wait.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

antdad wrote:I don't quite follow your description, are you saying when you engage reverse gear it attempts to jump out of that gear and you basically have to hold it in place? If so is it repeatable and if you don't hold onto the gear stick does it actually jump out of gear into neutral in which case it's probably a gearbox job ie. removal and fix.

If it's just the gear stick poping out or coming loose in reverse gear and no other it shouldn't be, again can you repeat the fault? If it's an issue with the linkage it shouldn't be too big a deal to fix as access should be straight forward other than having to wait for parts IF you have to wait.

Will try and explain a bit better. Clutch down, engage reverse, all good so far. Whilst clutch still down and in reverse gear, I can lift the stick up a few inches and it feels like the it's only the hood which stops me lifting it higher. Push it down again, release clutch, car reverses fine.
No problems when driving.

Have tried this with engine off, all gears engaged no prob, but when in reverse, gear stick can be lifted up. Hoping I haven't got a rogue, but so far please with most. Not a fan of gadgets, but the deal was too good to miss so trying to get used to auto lights, wipers, stop start etc.

Thanks for your reply anyway.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Get an automatic ffs. Gears are for total lunatics
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

I "reckon" it's the shift linkage bearing cup. About an hour's work.
The problem is not knowing if and when it will get worse. I normally hope these things will magically mend themselves, but then I'm an idiot.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

antdad

Post by antdad »

Zambo wrote: Have tried this with engine off, all gears engaged no prob, but when in reverse, gear stick can be lifted up. Hoping I haven't got a rogue, but so far please with most. Not a fan of gadgets, but the deal was too good to miss so trying to get used to auto lights, wipers, stop start etc.

I see, so you feel it's the gear stick gaitor (hood) that's the only thing stopping it from pulling out completely when in (or finding?) reverse gear and it doesn't pull out like that in any other gear.

To engage reverse gear is it a straight shift across then forwards or backwards or do you need to lift or push-in the stick before moving it forwards or backwards to the reverse gear location?

antdad

Post by antdad »

JimmyDee wrote:I "reckon" it's the shift linkage bearing cup. About an hour's work.
The problem is not knowing if and when it will get worse. I normally hope these things will magically mend themselves, but then I'm an idiot.

If it was the bearing cup wouldn't that happen on every gear?

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

antdad wrote:
Zambo wrote: Have tried this with engine off, all gears engaged no prob, but when in reverse, gear stick can be lifted up. Hoping I haven't got a rogue, but so far please with most. Not a fan of gadgets, but the deal was too good to miss so trying to get used to auto lights, wipers, stop start etc.

I see, so you feel it's the gear stick gaitor (hood) that's the only thing stopping it from pulling out completely when in (or finding?) reverse gear and it doesn't pull out like that in any other gear.

To engage reverse gear is it a straight shift across then forwards or backwards or do you need to lift or push-in the stick before moving it forwards or backwards to the reverse gear location?

Reverse is just pull towards you then back. No lift or press down. I thought I may have found a couple of similar problems on the intgernet, but nothing. Sales contact who sold me the car said he'd never heard of it, and tried several other smilar model cars in the dealership all OK. Got it booked in next week.Will post their diagnosis and what they have to do to fix.

ps forgot to mention found out today does same in neutral.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Stick needed pushing down firmly simple as that. Now OK.

Got stop/start on this car, so I'm doing my bit for the environment. Today it was pissing down, so had lights, wipers and air con on. When I stopped the engine didn't cut out, so I'm assuming that the fact that it didn't, is a safety feature, as there had been a big call on the battery.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Zambo wrote:Stick needed pushing down firmly simple as that. Now OK.

Got stop/start on this car, so I'm doing my bit for the environment. Today it was pissing down, so had lights, wipers and air con on. When I stopped the engine didn't cut out, so I'm assuming that the fact that it didn't, is a safety feature, as there had been a big call on the battery.

Yes s/s systems judge the load on the battery and don't stop if it is too much.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

Zambo wrote:Stick needed pushing down firmly simple as that. Now OK.

Get used to that. The other day I saw a sign near a level crossing that you could receive a penalty charge for not switching your engine off completely, if the barriers are down after a certain amount of undefined time.
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."