Former Employer

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Saints11

Former Employer

Post by Saints11 »

Hello,

To cut a long story short (for some of those who may have read previous posts of mine) I was working back in England from May of this year up until the end of September, I have now moved back overseas again.

My former employer in the UK has paid me again by mistake, I only realised this by chance as I just wanted to double check the balance of my UK account and noticed it had increased.

Now, what do I do?

I spoke with a former colleague who left a couple of years back and he said the same thing happened to him and he was paid for 2 months before they stopped and he heard nothing more about it. I'm thinking I shall do the same. If I get paid that second time though, I might have to discreetly message my old boss and see what he says. They more they keep paying the more likely they'd want to get it back.

Thoughts everyone? Anecdotes welcome as well. . .
mentioning other members is not allowed in signatures

VeritasVincit

Re: Former Employer

Post by VeritasVincit »

I got paid for extra responsibilty after I had given up the extra. I only found out, like you, when I checked my bank account.
I reported this to my employer. The extra payment continued!
I opened an extra savings account at the bank and kept paying the extra into that.
Two years later I retired and nothing had been done. My pension and lump-sum was based on the incorrect higher salary.
Twenty years later i am still waitng for them to ask for it back.

I'd suggest you do the same. Tell them first then put it to one side, take the interest it generates and wait. If they don't ask for it back, that's their loss.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Saints11 wrote:Hello,

To cut a long story short (for some of those who may have read previous posts of mine) I was working back in England from May of this year up until the end of September, I have now moved back overseas again.

My former employer in the UK has paid me again by mistake, I only realised this by chance as I just wanted to double check the balance of my UK account and noticed it had increased.

Now, what do I do?

I spoke with a former colleague who left a couple of years back and he said the same thing happened to him and he was paid for 2 months before they stopped and he heard nothing more about it. I'm thinking I shall do the same. If I get paid that second time though, I might have to discreetly message my old boss and see what he says. They more they keep paying the more likely they'd want to get it back.

Thoughts everyone? Anecdotes welcome as well. . .

Stick it in a high interest (that's a joke, but you know what I mean) & forget about it for a couple of months, saints

If they come for it, it's safe & gaining interest. You can also explain that as you had moved abroad, you didn't notice it as you use other accounts for your overseas dealings.

If they haven't come back to you after say 4 months, I'd be tempted to forget about it and use it as you want

subsub

Post by subsub »

what Steve said.
WOKE AND PROUD

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Bound to be a sting. You'll be on Panorama
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Take the money and run !
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Reg

Post by Reg »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote:Bound to be a sting. You'll be on Panorama

This.

Make sure you NEVER drink white wine from a pint glass in a place where you could be covertly filmed.
Roy IN!!

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Be careful.

They may never work it out.

But if they so, keeping the money constitutes theft. Possibly the company would hesitate to incur publicity though.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you