Insanely expensive printer cartridges

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
subsub

Re: Insanely expensive printer cartridges

Post by subsub »

beingsoblase wrote:
m4rkb wrote:Don't the computer chips in the ones you refill detect they've been refilled and refuse to work?

Yeah they do the absolute bastards.
I bought a generic, cheaper cartridge for a printer a while back, it was exactly the same as the manufacturers, but when I put it in I got a cartridge not recognised message.
So I popped out the chip from the old one and stuck it in the new cartridge.
I then got a message saying the ink had run out again.
Arseholes.

:lol: :lol:

:x
WOKE AND PROUD

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

beingsoblase wrote:I bought a generic, cheaper cartridge for a printer a while back, it was exactly the same as the manufacturers, but when I put it in I got a cartridge not recognised message.
So I popped out the chip from the old one and stuck it in the new cartridge.
I then got a message saying the ink had run out again.
Arseholes.
Yeah it's a common thing to say there's no ink left when there is.
The problem is if you take the cartridge out and put it back in, the bloody thing knows it's the same cartridge and still tells you it's empty. The trick is to plan in advance by saving some of the used empty cartridges... after trying them in your printer (one might not be enough, you might have to do it with 2 or even 3) it forgets it's ever seen the half-empty one and when you put it back in it should no longer say it's empty. I'll add that I've not tried this so don't know if it's a load of bollox or not!
I really am a biatch

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Here's a little tip for inkjet printers which I've found extraordinarily useful over the years.
To clear a blocked jet NEVER use the cleaning cycle on the software, it'll use up half the ink. Instead print a 1" square of the blocked colour on the highest definition your printer does (usually called Photo Extra or somesuch). You'll be amazed how often this works.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

ikhlaq786

Post by ikhlaq786 »

Reg wrote:Just looked up a plain HP black cartridge on a "discount" site, and it was almost 49 quid! :o

I'm sure they never used to be this expensive.

What sort of mark-up do the manufacturers make with prices like that?

I apologise if it has already been said but I buy from Ebay and get alternative printer cartridges for my Canon and believe me they work just as good and are a fraction of the cost.
"It doesn't mean that I advocate violence, but at the same time, I am not against using violence in self-defense. I don't call it violence when it's self-defense, I call it intelligence."

Reg

Post by Reg »

ikhlaq786 wrote:
Reg wrote:Just looked up a plain HP black cartridge on a "discount" site, and it was almost 49 quid! :o

I'm sure they never used to be this expensive.

What sort of mark-up do the manufacturers make with prices like that?

I apologise if it has already been said but I buy from Ebay and get alternative printer cartridges for my Canon and believe me they work just as good and are a fraction of the cost.

Thanks.
Roy IN!!

antdad

Post by antdad »

If you're mainly printing in B&W get a mono laser printer....they are generally superior to inkjet and the toner refills aren't too badly priced and last far longer.

I recently bought an original Samsung 8000 page toner refill for £12 when normally I go for a reproduction, both types have been fine and turn out to be well cheap per page.