Fasting

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
shabbado

Re: Fasting

Post by shabbado »

I'm intrigued by the idea of it

I'm assuming it's something that you do on a continual basis?
A joyless arsehole.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

shabbado wrote:I'm intrigued by the idea of it

I'm assuming it's something that you do on a continual basis?

I've done it for an age, the premise is that it aligns to your natural circadian rhythm. I just like it because I enjoy having a structure to my eating, this is an element of that.

Here is a video from Rhonda Patrick who unlike a lot of the clowns who write about this is doing legitimate work in this field.

it's ten minutes and covers the topic well, her podcast is good as well.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Cheers. I'll have a look at the above.
A joyless arsehole.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

When I do it it's more to make myself feel a bit better and maybe detox a little rather than lose weight. Not that I haven't weight to lose...far from it, but it's not the primary reason I do it. Working a shift pattern as I do I find it a lot easier to do it while on night shift. A hell of a lot easier.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

I've done a week, although had a cheat day yesterday (working then NFL til 2am). Might be nonsense, but I had a pizza last night and only managed to eat half of it, and I think I have started appreciate food a bit more rather than throwing it down my throat. Just by fasting, you start to notice how much you graze/scoff/snack at in between meals. Two wee biscuit bars are about 250 calories, and gone in 2 minutes by most people.

I certainly feel better. Work this week, I've felt more alert and less brain fog for want of a better word.

Vespa, I had been just writing the times down in a wee book, but I think I'll start using your app.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

What type of fasting are you doing Kev?
A joyless arsehole.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

shabbado wrote:What type of fasting are you doing Kev?

16, 8.

On to Day 10 now (although took the Sunday off for the NFL and was working late) but usually stop eating at 6, 7 or 8pm then start again 10, 11 or 12 the next day.

I'm doing it mostly to cut out the snacking and to lose about 14 pounds or so.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

kevin04 wrote:

16, 8.

On to Day 10 now (although took the Sunday off for the NFL and was working late) but usually stop eating at 6, 7 or 8pm then start again 10, 11 or 12 the next day.

Cheers.

Going to give this a go. More than likely start on Monday.

Here's a question for yourself, Vespa or anyone else who's done the fasting. Can you take multi-vitiamins such as Berroca during the fasting period?
A joyless arsehole.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

I'm probably missing something here, but assuming 16.8 means you eat within an 8 hour period, I don't see where the fasting comes in. You usually associate fasting with just drinking all day, but if you can eat during 8 hours then if you eat breakfast at 9, lunch at 1 and dinner at 5 that is a normal eating day for many.

On 5 days of the week I do that and on the other two days I have max 500 cals each day.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Zambo wrote:I'm probably missing something here, but assuming 16.8 means you eat within an 8 hour period, I don't see where the fasting comes in. You usually associate fasting with just drinking all day, but if you can eat during 8 hours then if you eat breakfast at 9, lunch at 1 and dinner at 5 that is a normal eating day for many.

On 5 days of the week I do that and on the other two days I have max 500 cals each day.

Fasting is not consuming anything for 16 hours per day.

Going to assume that the vast majority of people aren't as disciplined as yourself

A 9am breakfast and a 5pm evening meal isn't attainable for a large portion of the population.
A joyless arsehole.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

:smt023 Got it.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

I need my eyes testing.
I keep reading this topic as 'fisting'!

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

shabbado wrote:
kevin04 wrote:

16, 8.

Cheers.

Going to give this a go. More than likely start on Monday.

Here's a question for yourself, Vespa or anyone else who's done the fasting. Can you take multi-vitamins such as Berroca during the fasting period?

I think Vespa is more of an expert than me, but I personally wouldn't class that as cheating, especially for someone just beginning. Some hardcore fasters think adding lemon or drinking coffee/tea is breaking it.

The point of me fasting is to cut out the grazing in the late/early hours - I'd often get up go for a pee or something and then grab a handful of nuts or something from the fridge and working shifts I'd end up eating at bad times and often it would be shitey or processed foods. It's more just to try and get out of the habit of eating after 8pm or limiting that for special occasions or events rather than every night.

Maybe I'm not fasting and I am just 'not eating, but drinking water, the odd fizzy water, tea for 16 hours,' :)

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

shabbado wrote: Here's a question for yourself, Vespa or anyone else who's done the fasting. Can you take multi-vitiamins such as Berroca during the fasting period?

The biologically correct answer is anything that you take that your body processes breaks a fast, the data shows that once you start to metabolise some of the biochem processes you are benefiting from cease.

The practically correct answer is it depends on why you are fasting. I do it as a regime to structure my eating. Without a structure, I'd be a super fat fuck and not be able to do the sports I enjoy. For me if I stop eating at 8pm and start at lunch noon I get all the benefits I need from fasting even if I drink black coffee in the morning.

hth

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

VeritasVincit wrote:I need my eyes testing.
I keep reading this topic as 'fisting'!

You should totally start a thread on that.