Fasting

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
kevin04

Fasting

Post by kevin04 »

Does anyone in here fast? Have you done it in the past, or do you dip in and out of it now and again? Or do a water fast every now and again to clear the cobwebs etc.

After a pretty 'festive' Christmas, I've probably put on about 9-10 pounds along with the 5-6 I have been meaning to lose since September, and could even lose an extra 2-3 on top of that - if I am serious about getting a 41-43 minute 10km race in August- and have so far started a 16 hour fast. I am hoping it will help split a bit of my times. 4 years ago I was reguarly running 40-42min 10kms and whilst I have not done one in a while, I know I'll be way up over 50-53 mins, if not more right now thanks to too much of the good life.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for this? I don't know exactly how long I will do this for. I am thinking 5/6 days a week if not a whole month to begin with and take it from there. And I am not going to be as strict as not doing stuff like meeting a pal in February for a meal , but I'm hoping to stick reasonably well to it.

What were the benefits/negatives of doing this or doing it, if you do this? Did you feel better, healtheir even hoping it might help the odd occasion of brain fog (cleaning the diet up too).

Working hours are usually 2 or 3pm to 10/11pm so gone for 8pm to 12pm. I don't think the mornings will be an issue nor the last few hours at work, although I do occasionally go running after work which I might have to rethink about it. I'm not super strict about it yet, but any tips would be great.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Gosport Mark

Re: Fasting

Post by Gosport Mark »

I follow intermittent fasting. 16 hours between evening meal and first meal following day. Tie that with drinking 2 litres of lemon water every morning and I certainly feel better in myself. I’m not aware of there is a time limit for it, I’ve just always done it, although I do lapse at times when extra activities dictates.

Just very cleansing.
Any comments contained within this post which are deemed offensive are unintentional. If any poster does wish to complain then please PM me first for a personal apology.

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

What sort training were you doing to get a low 40s 10k? I'm trying to lose weight. I've started spinning and am cutting back on alcohol. I was 15 now down to 14 and a half. My target is is 13 and a half, possibly 13. I'm 6ft 2
Man U and rangers

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

I worked with a guy who lost about 5 stone fasting 3 times a week. Thing is, he's taken it too far and looks like he's just got out of a death camp.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Currently fasting two days a week, and cut out eating between meals for the rest of the week, during which I don't eat any food with added sugar. No choc, biscuits sweets etc. Will do it for one month. Feel great during and afterwards.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

I fast Tuesdays and Thursdays and don't eat between 8pm and noon all other days. I eat paleo which works well for me.

Of I have a blowout I'll fast the next day.

Google 'found my fitness' some great stuff on there.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

I might start that today again.

I used to fast for at least a day every week way back in the 80s. Kept it up for a year or two . It always made me feel sharper and more alive for a few days afterwards.
Then I started shift work and that buggered it up. I've been doing shifts of one sort or another more or less ever since and tried it again occasionally but never lasted more than a couple of weeks.

But I was just feeling particularly 'bleh' and uncomfortable this morning when I read this thread. So fuck it, I'm in. Thanks Kev.

I always make sure to have plenty of water though.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Zambo wrote:Currently fasting two days a week, and cut out eating between meals for the rest of the week, during which I don't eat any food with added sugar. No choc, biscuits sweets etc. Will do it for one month. Feel great during and afterwards.

I had no idea that fasting was suddenly popular.
Zambo, you feel 'great' on days where you don't eat a thing? Not sure I could cope with that - am sure I would feel lethargic, achey, miserable etc. Do you get used to it?
WOKE AND PROUD

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

subsub wrote:
Zambo wrote:Currently fasting two days a week, and cut out eating between meals for the rest of the week, during which I don't eat any food with added sugar. No choc, biscuits sweets etc. Will do it for one month. Feel great during and afterwards.

Zambo, you feel 'great' on days where you don't eat a thing? Not sure I could cope with that - am sure I would feel lethargic, achey, miserable etc. Do you get used to it?

When I did it it was on the day after that I felt better.
Proud Gammon

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

I think it's just having an eating routine is helpful.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Basualdo wrote:
subsub wrote:

Doesn't it fuck with your energy levels, though?
I don't see how it can be better than eating minimum number of calories, so your body doesn't go through the shock of no nutrients etc in 24 hours. Be interested to see how it works.
WOKE AND PROUD

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

subsub wrote:
Basualdo wrote:
subsub wrote:

Doesn't it fuck with your energy levels, though?
I don't see how it can be better than eating minimum number of calories, so your body doesn't go through the shock of no nutrients etc in 24 hours. Be interested to see how it works.

Well if you're eating healthily to begin with then I don't suppose you'll see much difference.
But if youre not, then saving your body from being flooded with semi toxic crap for 16 or 24 hours once a week is going to make you feel a little better.
Maybe it's s purely psychological or a placebo effect, I don't know, but it worked for me.

Of course, you'll suggest that then why not just eat more healthily? To which the obvious answer is because 'shut up'.
Proud Gammon

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

subsub wrote:

First couple of days I feel a bit tired with sudden sugar drop, but after that feel fine. Drink more to ward of hunger.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Great posts!

I am only on Day 3/4. I did about 22 days of this in the summer and Bas sums it up pretty well, you do feel tired/hungry at times, but I do feel a lot more alert/energetic/enthusiastic the following day. Way too early for me to say it works, and no doubt some of the enthusiasm for it helps, but brain feels way less foggy especially when getting up. I'm just a gobshite with an internet connection, but we are too comfortable these days in general - we eat too much, drive too much and don't do enough exercise. I don't know if our bodies are meant for processed food, sitting at an office and then sofa sitting at night.

It's a cliché and being January even more so, but I think a diet with everything in moderation is the answer. I'm finding that having a food plan and a log book is helping me so far. E.G I was a bit hungry when I woke up this morning, but the mental note of seeing Monday 2000 - ..... made me avoid eating until 1300 ; I think if I hadn't scribbled it down I might well have just broke it or eaten something. Food plans are key too (for me) when trying to watch what I am eating, as working shifts often if there's no plan I'll occasionally end up eating pizza, burger etc if time is tight etc.

Leado, for the running times. I was probably in the best shape of my life - some even thought I was too skinny. I was running 5 times a week whilst 1/2 of those sessions were HIIT. I'd often to sessions of 20mins aiming to get about 2.8 - 3 miles. I find if you are lean, longer-distance running can shed seconds if not minutes of your time. I've been reasonably lucky in the sense I have not suffered from shin splints or any running injuries (touch wood). This might be nonsense, but I honestly believe if you were aiming for a 40min 10km run for August and began training now without being too strict on yourself but cutting down a lot of booze, junk, you could probably do it just by different running sessions of 4-5 x a week.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

carcinogen wrote:I worked with a guy who lost about 5 stone fasting 3 times a week. Thing is, he's taken it too far and looks like he's just got out of a death camp.

Maybe he has
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN