Endo's 2020 weight-loss regime

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
The End

Endo's 2020 weight-loss regime

Post by The End »

In order to keep myself going on a six-month diet and exercise regime, designed to help me lose XX amount of weight, I have decided to keep a very loose 'blog' on here. I'm thinking that if I make it public to you fine denizens, the chances of me sticking to it are higher - the shame of giving up being too hard to bear etc etc...

There is nothing particularly scientific about it:
- gym 4 to 6 times a week
- no booze Sun-Thu, and only a limited amount Fri OR Sat (not both), and maybe drift onto non-alcoholic beer in due course
- no shit food and smaller portions; no eating after 8pm
- keep consistent sleep patterns as much as possible

My target weight loss is XX for two reasons: I don't want to set a precise target as my main goal is body shape and having more energy rather than a definitive weight, and because I don't want to reveal how much of a fat fucker I am to you lot! In reality, I'm not that fat but as I get older (46 this Sunday) not being in the best of shape just gets harder and harder.

I weighed myself this morning and will do this every three days, posting up the net weight loss here, along with any random musings/fanny at the gym etc.

This isn't a vanity project and please feel free to give it a swerve but I think it will give me extra incentive to keep going. That's the sole reason I'm doing it. I've chosen this forum rather than a medium viewable by 'real life' friends as I'd rather they not know and if I fail I don't feel like a loser to those closest to me - you lot already know I'm a loser so that doesn't matter...

Thanks.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

subsub

Re: Endo's 2020 weight-loss regime

Post by subsub »

The End wrote:I weighed myself this morning and will do this every three days, posting up the net weight loss here, along with any random musings/fanny at the gym etc.

:smt023

Good for you, End-o.
Yep, keep us updated. Is always tough doing stuff like this, but keeping a record of it should help :)
WOKE AND PROUD

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Best of luck End-o.

One word of caution. Gym 4-6 times a week from the get go may be over doing it. This is especially true if you've not been near a gym in a while. Best build yourself up gradually. Start 2 - 3 times a week and go from there.
A joyless arsehole.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

If you've just joined a gym they do cheap personal trainer deals, three sessions for £90 - for example. If you're just getting back into it well worth buying one of those and getting them to make up a schedule for you. You can revisit once every three or four months for a revised one.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Is that 3 sessions a week for £90

Or

3 sessions and thats it?
A joyless arsehole.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

shabbado wrote:Is that 3 sessions a week for £90

Or

3 sessions and thats it?

Most it's three sessions you have to take in a month. All gyms have different deals.

The End

Post by The End »

I've been with a gym since September but haven't been for a while. Wanted to get Christmas out of the way before getting stuck in again.

I'll be doing just cardio stuff for the first month before moving onto weights as well. Never had a trainer map out a schedule but I am tempted to try that in a little while. My body just needs to get used to being active again after over a month of being sedentary.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

henrycrs

Post by henrycrs »

Fair play to you End. Don’t forget water, drink plenty of it, it’s good for loads of things including weight loss.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

I can see a couple of advantages going to a gym over exercising at home. One is that whilst you are there with the rest there are no distractions, and seeing everyone else pumping gives you momentum. However, haven't been to one since I played football and that is a long time ago.

I have an exercise bike, a couple of dumbs, an exercise list, a flight of stairs and willpower. Job done.

Bike and stairs for cardio, weights for muscles, and body exercises for flexibility and tightening.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Saints11

Post by Saints11 »

I'm well into all this fitness lark, so would like to add my thoughts to.

There is nothing particularly scientific about it:
- gym 4 to 6 times a week
- no booze Sun-Thu, and only a limited amount Fri OR Sat (not both), and maybe drift onto non-alcoholic beer in due course
- no shit food and smaller portions; no eating after 8pm
- keep consistent sleep patterns as much as possible

As mentioned before by someone, starting off in the gym 4 to 6 times a week might be a little taxing to begin with, best to go 3 times at the start, say Monday, Wednesday, Friday (evening) so you'll avoid the booze on that day.

But any health professional (and Jon Gaunt) will tell you the same thing, "you cannot out train a bad diet", another favourite of mine is "abs are made in the kitchen", 1000 crunches a day followed by 8 pints is pointless.

Alcohol and Sugar are going to be your main threats, the later of which seems to appear in some many foods which you wouldn't realise.

"No eating after 8pm", too ambiguous for my liking, its no so much when you eat (to a point) its what you eat. If you were to eat 100g of Salmon before bed that isn't going to do you any harm, a chocolate bar will. But that's the same during the day.

There's nothing healthy about a 'diet', its simple stuff (as you said), it comes down to 2 things; eating right and exercising.

I wouldn't weight yourself every 3 days either, try 7 or 14 for and you'll see bigger, more encouraging changes, although these will plateau (sp) after a while.

There is YouTube channel called Athlean X, ran by an American called Jeff Caveliere. I thoroughly recommend watching his stuff, its aimed at all levels of Fitness and explains a lot of how your body works and what foods do etc, how to perform exercises and so on. Really good stuff.

All in all, good luck
mentioning other members is not allowed in signatures

The End

Post by The End »

Cheers for the comments and advice, chaps.

Day one reaching its conclusion - did an hour in the gym after work (and bumped into two lads who work at the other campus doing the same thing) and then a chicken salad for tea.

Lookalikes in the gym tonight: Kevin Phillips (he works there), Joe Ledley. Number of Chinese people in the gym tonight: A disappointing 1.

Saints11

Post by Saints11 »

Hows it going so far?
mentioning other members is not allowed in signatures

The End

Post by The End »

Slowly slowly.

I've been a bit unwell for most of it - a mix of heavy colds and insomnia, so hardly been to the gym through constant knackeredness. BUT, the eating is healthy and apart from last Saturday (birthday beers) I've not had a drink.

So. First ten days - a measly 1.1 kg lost (2.5 lbs) but I anticipate the next ten days being much more productive. Gym in the morning. Currently 10.10pm here and I've had noodles for me tea and now watching snooker with a cup of tea.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Good luck, End-o! I recommend not eating bread, cereal, rice or pasta. Egg noodles are fine in moderation, though. Egg on Ryvita for lunch or supper is nice. Half an apple for breakfast is fine.
Don't forget to treat yourself every now and then. :)
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

shabbado wrote:Best of luck End-o.

One word of caution. Gym 4-6 times a week from the get go may be over doing it. This is especially true if you've not been near a gym in a while. Best build yourself up gradually. Start 2 - 3 times a week and go from there.

How long should each session be? Is 30 minutes–1 hour per session enough time?
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter