One last trip

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Saints11

One last trip

Post by Saints11 »

Morning / Afternoon,

I've an upcoming period of 2 months where I will be a free man from work etc and moving back to the UK for good.

It leaves me with the option of one final big trip before I finally do get the career, house and wife and settle into suburbia.

I have 2 main options.

Option 1
Burma, Nepal, and India.
The more cost effective of the 2 plans, slightly more challenging on the Visa front, but ultimately no bother.

Option 2
Starting Argentina, finishing in Colombia, doing the "Gringo Trail" in a Northbound direction.
I have been meaning to do this trip for years, but the cost (although isn't prohibitive) is something I am quite conscious of.

Rough dates are Mid April to Mid June.

Who's been to any of these places? I'm all ears. . .
mentioning other members is not allowed in signatures

subsub

Re: One last trip

Post by subsub »

Sounds wonderful, Saints.

I've been to Argentina a couple of times, and I love the place.
Thoroughly recommend it :)
WOKE AND PROUD

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Option 2 by some margin
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Yep, the south American one. I've been fascinated by the Andes and especially the southern tip of that continent for ages after reading The Vogagevof the Beagle, years ago.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Why those two options? What options did you consider and then reject?
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

colinthewarriormonkey

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

Saints11 wrote:Morning / Afternoon,

I've an upcoming period of 2 months where I will be a free man from work etc and moving back to the UK for good.

It leaves me with the option of one final big trip before I finally do get the career, house and wife and settle into suburbia.

I have 2 main options.

Option 1
Burma, Nepal, and India.
The more cost effective of the 2 plans, slightly more challenging on the Visa front, but ultimately no bother.

Option 2
Starting Argentina, finishing in Colombia, doing the "Gringo Trail" in a Northbound direction.
I have been meaning to do this trip for years, but the cost (although isn't prohibitive) is something I am quite conscious of.

Rough dates are Mid April to Mid June.

Who's been to any of these places? I'm all ears. . .

My wife loved Burma.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

It's never one last...

You're free until the kids arrive.....then you're royally fucked.
A joyless arsehole.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Nice one, Saintee!

I've never really fancied India or Burma but Nepal and Bhutan really do appeal. I'd love to get to Bhutan one day.

Argentina especially the south looks really fascinating and so does a lot of South America - Paraguay, Bolivia, Uruguay, Chile, Peru. Maybe I just don't like big countries, but Brazil doesn't appeal at all to me.

Never been to either area, but do a pro-con list and whoever wins go there.

Enjoy man! You could fit in the Copa America (if you are a bit longer). Know a group of guys who went to the Argentina Copa America in 2011 - wanted a lads holiday somewhere different and loved it! They all said BA is like being in Europe rather than SA.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Saints11

Post by Saints11 »

South America certainly is the front runner, on here and in my mind. Slight apprehension in pushing the button because I'd be doing the trip for the majority alone, which has its plusses and minuses.

I don't know if I can still be bothered with Hostels, having the same inane chat with people about where they are going next and where they have been, and just generally living out of suitcase. I'd be doing the pretty standard run of the continent (- Brazil) which covers some of the big hits, but I just cant seem to get excited about it in the same way as previous trips. But at the same time I know once I'm living back in the UK I'd give anything to be in some rotten hostel in Peru sinking beer.

A good problem to have really

Saints11

Post by Saints11 »

Looks like this is off the cards for the forseeable :(

ovechkin8

Post by ovechkin8 »

Make sure you survive to do it. Trips to Poland, Shetland and the South Downs all cancelled for me. The D850 remains unused.
'I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses.' Johannes Kepler