Bowel cancer any tips?

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
lambrini

Re: Bowel cancer any tips?

Post by lambrini »

Vespa wrote:Today I met my Macmillan cancer nurses, beautiful people. The hospital is having a world cancer day event so had good chats with people who've had this.

Likely I'll lose 23cm of bowel. That's my abs fucked

Guy in the bed next to me heard about my cancer and proceeded to tell me about all the people he knew who had died from it. Because I'm a massive bitch I've decided my stock response to these people is 'thanks that was inspirational'

Macmillan nurses are lovely. Good luck, Vespa; stay strong. Vent on here if you have to.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

I'm having the full consult on the 12th. I'm under the Royal Marsden and they meet for my type of tumor on the 9th.

Mine is were the large and small bowel join. They chop out 23cm (they are very precise) of large bowel and stitch what's left back together. Sounds shit to be honest.

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

My wife had 350 mm removed and once the bag is reversed it takes a few months for the bowel to relearn and function properly again.
You will find yourself visiting the loo a lot on some days depending on your diet.
Once the cancer is gone she says she can cope with that
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Vespa wrote:I'm having the full consult on the 12th. I'm under the Royal Marsden and they meet for my type of tumor on the 9th.

Mine is were the large and small bowel join. They chop out 23cm (they are very precise) of large bowel and stitch what's left back together. Sounds shit to be honest.

It does, but you are are still young, you do a lot of exercise & are strong. You will get over this, Vespa.

Life can be shit. It's how we respond that counts. Try to stay strong pal. I am sure a positive attitude aids recovery.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

delboy1983 wrote:My wife had 350 mm removed and once the bag is reversed it takes a few months for the bowel to relearn and function properly again.
You will find yourself visiting the loo a lot on some days depending on your diet.

Sorry to hear about your wife, Del.

Is she ok now?

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Steve Hunt wrote:
delboy1983 wrote:My wife had 350 mm removed and once the bag is reversed it takes a few months for the bowel to relearn and function properly again.

Sorry to hear about your wife, Del.

Is she ok now?

Thanks Steve
Yeah she's back to work,driving and nagging me.
Wouldn't have it any other way !
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Vespa wrote:I'm having the full consult on the 12th. I'm under the Royal Marsden and they meet for my type of tumor on the 9th.

I don't know much about your personal life, so forgive me if I say something out of place, but hope you have friends, family, or a Significant Other supporting you at the moment.
Hang in there, mate.
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

If she had a bag I assume she had bag, chemo, surgery and then the reversal.

I suspect I'll be doing that as well.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

lambrini wrote:

I don't know much about your personal life, so forgive me if I say something out of place, but hope you have friends, family, or a Significant Other supporting you at the moment.
Hang in there, mate.
That's been the emotional bit, telling everyone and the overwhelming love. Made me cry more than once.

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Vespa wrote:

I put a quite detailed chain of events on the forum earlier. See below
My wife has just completed a full recovery from this.
Main thing the cancer had not spread at the time of her initial scan.

Had a course of radiation treatment prior to her op to shrink the cancer.
Operation went well and she was in hospital for 10 days and had a colostomy bag fitted.
She then went through a comprehensive 12 week course of chemo which was her worst experience.

My wife convalesced at her sister in laws for 4 months which has downstairs facilities. She is a registered nurse of some 30 years standing and was invaluable to make sure she was eating properly and kept an eye on her health.
My job was to re-decorate the house from top to bottom after it had been rewired and a gas central heating installed.

She had many hospital appointments and my eldest daughter and myself sat in on all of these. Our NHS hospital was fantastic,she was allocated a cancer nurse which she could phone at any time and the nurse also sat in at the various meetings with my Wife's doctors.

Her main goal was to get reversal of the colostomy bag and she needed to be in good health to allow that operation to take place.
The reversal took place in September and has been a success.
She had a 6 month scan in December and thankfully she got the all clear ie no cancer had returned.
Back working driving and living a normal life this whole process took 15 months from the initial scan identifying the cancer to the all clear at the end of 2019.

No cancer is good but the bowel cancer has the best survival and recovery rates of all .

Wish you all the best Vespa ,key is to stay positive and make sure the rest of your health is good to give you the strength to get through this and make full recovery.
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

You are stronger than you know.
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

delboy1983 wrote:
Vespa wrote:

I put a quite detailed chain of events on the forum earlier. See below
My wife has just completed a full recovery from this.
Main thing the cancer had not spread at the time of her initial scan.

Had a course of radiation treatment prior to her op to shrink the cancer.
Operation went well and she was in hospital for 10 days and had a colostomy bag fitted.
She then went through a comprehensive 12 week course of chemo which was her worst experience.

My wife convalesced at her sister in laws for 4 months which has downstairs facilities. She is a registered nurse of some 30 years standing and was invaluable to make sure she was eating properly and kept an eye on her health.
My job was to re-decorate the house from top to bottom after it had been rewired and a gas central heating installed.

She had many hospital appointments and my eldest daughter and myself sat in on all of these. Our NHS hospital was fantastic,she was allocated a cancer nurse which she could phone at any time and the nurse also sat in at the various meetings with my Wife's doctors.

Her main goal was to get reversal of the colostomy bag and she needed to be in good health to allow that operation to take place.
The reversal took place in September and has been a success.
She had a 6 month scan in December and thankfully she got the all clear ie no cancer had returned.
Back working driving and living a normal life this whole process took 15 months from the initial scan identifying the cancer to the all clear at the end of 2019.

No cancer is good but the bowel cancer has the best survival and recovery rates of all .

Wish you all the best Vespa ,key is to stay positive and make sure the rest of your health is good to give you the strength to get through this and make full recovery.
I'm waiting to see if it's spread if it hasn't I probably will have the same route.

genehunt1973

Post by genehunt1973 »

I wish you all the very best Vespa,my Dad has had cancer twice (prostate and throat) and he is 78 and is now in Benidorm lol
I have greatest respect for Rugby Union, they started it mid-way through the 19th century. Thankfully we grabbed it and turned it into a spectacle on 29th August 1895

Reg

Post by Reg »

colinthewarriormonkey wrote:
carcinogen wrote:
Vespa wrote:Not a pity post.

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer today and have been admitted to hospital for a full body CT scan in the morning.

Anyone gone through this and has any good tips for dealing with the whole process?

My father died of bowel cancer. Actually, that's not accurate. The pain was so bad he ended-up downing a bottle of whiskey and then slitting his wrists in a Peugeot 205 on Southwold seafront.

Stop being a cunt - why the fuck would you feel it appropriate to post this on here?

A member of our forum is going through what is a tough time and other people are sharing real stories that will hopefully take the edge off the worries he will naturally be feeling, and you feel it is your place to counter that with posting this shit.

I don't give a fuck whether it's true or not (and I have no reason to believe it is) there is no good reason for making this post.

Shame on you.

Carc, you really are a sad cunt.

You never learn.
Roy IN!!

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

lambrini wrote:You are stronger than you know.

I am Wonder Womam