Bowel cancer any tips?

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Vespa

Re: Bowel cancer any tips?

Post by Vespa »

carcinogen wrote:Sorry for my initial shitty reply. But bowel cancer is a fucker. I didn't want to sugar-coat it. Positive thinking is nothing to laugh at. Even going down the Meghan Markle route of writing on banana's etc. Just consider cancer as a fucking war. Fight the fucker. Tell cancer everyday: "I'm not fucking having you, FUCK OFF". Imbue the inner Delia Smith ... " LET'S BE 'AVING YOU!!!".

Don't sweat it, none of us are Wordsworth on here.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Vespa wrote:
Suhari wrote:Only just seen this thread.

Wishing you all the best Vespa!

I know 2 people who had bowel cancer: one I was at business school with - he made a full recovery; one I used to train Muay Thai with - again, a full recovery and went back to training.

At the moment they don't think it's spread beyond my bowel. I get the full-body scan stuff next week as long as it's not gone on tour I'm pretty confident of beating it.

Good luck with the body scan, Vespa. Keep us updated.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Apparently I have stage 3 cancer with a T4 tumor. I'm having a poo bag fitted next week, because god hates my abs. Apart from that annoyance, I'm in for four months of chemo topped off with one big operation. All very positive.

I'm going to name my bag Piers Morgan, because its full of shit.

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Seems back to front against how my wife was treated but everybody is different
She got radiation to simplify the operation
Operation to remove tumour
Bag htted
3 months chemo
Bag removed

They must be giving you advanced chemo to shrink the tumour to simplify the operation

Anyway,hope all goes well with you.
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

delboy1983 wrote:Seems back to front against how my wife was treated but everybody is different
She got radiation to simplify the operation
Operation to remove tumour
Bag htted
3 months chemo
Bag removed

They must be giving you advanced chemo to shrink the tumour to simplify the operation

Anyway,hope all goes well with you.

That's right, they want to shrink the tumour because it's spread a bit and they are unclear where to cut. The bag is because they are worried the tumour may block the bowel during chemo. I was fine with the idea of a the hemicolectomy, but being told I'll need the bag for four months made me a little glum.

But it's that or dying, so glum is fine.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Roy Twing wrote:I've long felt that we're being hoodwinked regarding our health, specifically, preventative healthcare.
I don't think it's a coincidence that the royal family (for example) has so many long-lived members.
Even our pets get annual checkups, yet we tend to go to our GPs only when we have symptoms (often this is too late).
We should be getting/demanding regular full body scans, and the fact that we are not, in the 6th richest country on earth is a very sad indictment.

There was a big debate about this in the NHS ( I think) about ten years ago.
And quite a lot of studies such as here
https://choosingwiselycanada.org/health-check-ups/
which showed that routine check-ups to the extent of having scans for most people was not effective and of course consumed medical resource that could be treating the diagnosed ill.
But they found them worth doing for people in certain groups and at certain stages; which is why the "well woman" and "well man" checkups started, and the PSA , breast and women's gynae tests got invested in.
I guess the biggest test is the US, where people get sold all kinds of impressive testing because they pay well but where cancer survival is no better than in the UK.
Any way good luck Vespa
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Saints11

Post by Saints11 »

Times when Talkforum shines is a thread like this (as bad as that might sound), a great sounding board for all kinds of problems with a cloak of anonymity.

Good luck Vespa
mentioning other members is not allowed in signatures

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Saints11 wrote:Times when Talkforum shines is a thread like this (as bad as that might sound), a great sounding board for all kinds of problems with a cloak of anonymity.

Good luck Vespa

Yep, and it puts grown men squabbling on an internet forum, going round in circles, truly into perspective. :?
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Saints11

Post by Saints11 »

Zambo wrote:
Saints11 wrote:Times when Talkforum shines is a thread like this (as bad as that might sound), a great sounding board for all kinds of problems with a cloak of anonymity.

Good luck Vespa

Yep, and it puts grown men squabbling on an internet forum, going round in circles, truly into perspective. :?

When does round 186 start between Royals and Hillman? :D
mentioning other members is not allowed in signatures

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Saints11 wrote:
Zambo wrote:

Good luck Vespa

When does round 186 start between Royals and Hillman? :D

That was last year. :D
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Reg

Post by Reg »

carcinogen wrote:Sorry for my initial shitty reply. But bowel cancer is a fucker. I didn't want to sugar-coat it. Positive thinking is nothing to laugh at. Even going down the Meghan Markle route of writing on banana's etc. Just consider cancer as a fucking war. Fight the fucker. Tell cancer everyday: "I'm not fucking having you, FUCK OFF". Imbue the inner Delia Smith ... " LET'S BE 'AVING YOU!!!".

Well done for apologising. (I honestly mean that, I'm not being sarcastic.) We all have horrific stories (my dad died young and horribly from pancreatic cancer as it happens) but this isn't the thread for them.

I actually think all this "fighting it" stuff is bollocks. It's a disease, not a fight, and people who die don't die because they didn't "fight" hard enough. It makes it sound like moral cowardice.

Having said that, there is a lot to be said for taking a positive attitude in the sense of doing everything you can to help yourself, and trying to take a constructive view of your immediate future (with your partner, obviously).

PS: I've always said that when I get a serious disease, I will face it with endless pathetic whining and cowardice, if I have the energy to do so. But I suspect, like most people, I will be too exhausted for drama.
Roy IN!!

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Reg wrote: I actually think all this "fighting it" stuff is bollocks. It's a disease, not a fight, and people who die don't die because they didn't "fight" hard enough. It makes it sound like moral cowardice.

Having said that, there is a lot to be said for taking a positive attitude in the sense of doing everything you can to help yourself, and trying to take a constructive view of your immediate future (with your partner, obviously).

You are a passenger in the process, just having the discipline to do what you are told is pretty much the key.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

I agree with Reg. Some cancer charity campaigns are cringeworthy:
CANCER DOESN'T CARE WHO YOU ARE; IT DOESN'T DISCRIMINATE: YOUNG, OLD, WHATEVER.
Well, yeah. Cancer isn't a conscious being. :x

Anyways... Positivity and following orders are key. How are you doing today, Vespa? <3
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Having surgery next week. That's scary, they've also told me I can't lift anything for six weeks. They give you energy drinks to take the day before.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Vespa wrote:Having surgery next week. That's scary, they've also told me I can't lift anything for six weeks. They give you energy drinks to take the day before.

Good luck, Vespa. :heart: :hug:
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break