Bowel cancer any tips?

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Vespa

Bowel cancer any tips?

Post by Vespa »

Not a pity post.

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer today and have been admitted to hospital for a full body CT scan in the morning.

Anyone gone through this and has any good tips for dealing with the whole process?

m4rkb

Re: Bowel cancer any tips?

Post by m4rkb »

My mom had it. An awful thing to cope with. She had the colostomy bag but I believe they have much better options now. Fully cured after the op though thank God.

Don't like your politics as you can probably tell but wish you all the best over this.

colinthewarriormonkey

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

Vespa wrote:Not a pity post.

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer today and have been admitted to hospital for a full body CT scan in the morning.

Anyone gone through this and has any good tips for dealing with the whole process?

Sorry to hear that, my Dad had it but it wasn't discovered until very late - he went to A&E with chronic pain and discomfort and they took it out the next day.

Despite him being 75 years old when he had the op he's now recovered very well from it and is all clear, as silly as it is to say, if you're going to get cancer it's one of the better ones as the prognosis is good.

He has a bag, but that's only because he didn't want to have the surgery to reverse it.

My only "advice" would be to realise that you are in good hands and will get the very best of care, you will lose a few days from the drugs afterwards, but he was having a rare old time on them - one day he kept telling us that they kept him awake all night because they were having a party on the ward, and I mean a full-blown one, he said they had a huge bar, a stage a disco and a glitter ball and would not be disabused of that. To this day he's still not entirely convinced that he didn't witness it :lol: :lol:

Other than that, after the op, he did lose weight and found that those diet shakes that people have were very good as a supplement to add more calories and vitamins to his diet to try and get his weight up again.

I wish you all the best, try and keep your chin up and I'm always here if you need to talk.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

My mum had it too and died almost ten years to the day. Detected very late and it had spread really aggressively and quickly.

Good luck Vespa. We’re all here for you even though it’s a messageboard. Hopefully, it’s been detected quickly for you and you’ll be in good hands I’m sure.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

The CT scans will tell me what stage I'm at
It's a 3cm tumor so fingers crossed stage one.

I'm kinda wishing I'd studied the biochemistry of people and not wasps now.

colinthewarriormonkey

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

Vespa wrote:The CT scans will tell me what stage I'm at
It's a 3cm tumor so fingers crossed stage one.

I'm kinda wishing I'd studied the biochemistry of people and not wasps now.

3 cm?

Fucking hell - man up fella :lol: :lol: :lol: my dad's was the size of a grapefruit.

Depending on where it is if it's only 3cm there's a good chance they could get that out with keyhole surgery.

Seriously though, all the best with this, you're one of the good guys on here.
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

I'm hoping for as least invasive as possible.

BUPA are cunts by the way, my cover only includes then assigning a case officer ask my doctor questions. TWATs.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Vespa wrote:Not a pity post.

Sorry to hear your news, Vespa.

All the best, pal.

I can’t speak from personal experience but I have read that bowel cancer is one of the most easily treatable, if not the easiest, types of cancer.

Good luck.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

My wife has just completed a full recovery from this.
Main thing the cancer had not spread at the time of her initial scan.

Had a course of radiation treatment prior to her op to shrink the cancer.
Operation went well and she was in hospital for 10 days and had a colostomy bag fitted.
She then went through a comprehensive 12 week course of chemo which was her worst experience.

My wife convalesced at her sister in laws for 4 months which has downstairs facilities. She is a registered nurse of some 30 years standing and was invaluable to make sure she was eating properly and kept an eye on her health.
My job was to re-decorate the house from top to bottom after it had been rewired and a gas central heating installed.

She had many hospital appointments and my eldest daughter and myself sat in on all of these. Our NHS hospital was fantastic,she was allocated a cancer nurse which she could phone at any time and the nurse also sat in at the various meetings with my Wife's doctors.

Her main goal was to get reversal of the colostomy bag and she needed to be in good health to allow that operation to take place.
The reversal took place in September and has been a success.
She had a 6 month scan in December and thankfully she got the all clear ie no cancer had returned.
Back working driving and living a normal life this whole process took 15 months from the initial scan identifying the cancer to the all clear at the end of 2019.

No cancer is good but the bowel cancer has the best survival and recovery rates of all .

Wish you all the best Vespa ,key is to stay positive and make sure the rest of your health is good to give you the strength to get through this and make full recovery.
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

Good luck and best wishes Vespa.
There's no poem, just prose.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Shit news, Vespa. My dad had it a few years ago. Had surgery, did not need a bag and is now fully clear and back to his old self.

You can get over it. :smt023
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

subsub

Post by subsub »

Sorry to hear that, Vespa.
Hope you get sorted soon :)
WOKE AND PROUD

Reg

Post by Reg »

+1
Roy IN!!

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

I've long felt that we're being hoodwinked regarding our health, specifically, preventative healthcare.
I don't think it's a coincidence that the royal family (for example) has so many long-lived members.
Even our pets get annual checkups, yet we tend to go to our GPs only when we have symptoms (often this is too late).
We should be getting/demanding regular full body scans, and the fact that we are not, in the 6th richest country on earth is a very sad indictment.
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Sorry to hear about that, Vespa.

Godspeed to you and I hope things go well for you.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.