Bowel cancer any tips?

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Vespa

Re: Bowel cancer any tips?

Post by Vespa »

delboy1983 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:28 pm Not easy Vespa but sounds like they have a plan and they are good at what they do.
Positive thoughts are with you as always.
Four to six hours of rummaging around my insides - but if they get it all job done. There is a Buddhist saying that I'm coming to understand 'you have to suffer to heal'

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Hope you're doing ok, Vespa.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
You're not alone
I'll wait 'til the end of time
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Vespa wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:15 pm Went to see my charming but somewhat terrifying bowel surgeon today. I do like her, but the way she talks about chopping you up is unsettling.

The basics are that six months of chemo hasn't really done much. This means the only real option is a procedure called a hemicolectomy which is a standard procedure for bowel cancer. This involves cutting about 30cm of bowel out and stitching it back together. The complication I have is they think the tumour has grown into the muscle and tissue in my abdomen, so they'll need to chop that out as well - bye bye abs.

It is considered a high-risk procedure because the chance of leaving some cancer behind is reasonable and that may need radiotherapy. She told me that they'll try to do this via. a keyhole procedure but if they can't see enough they'll fillet me like a mackerel.

Because I'm also high risk due to a pulmonary embolism I need to go through some assessments, I should be on the chopping board in five to six weeks.
:lol:

She used that exact phrase?
A joyless arsehole.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Vespa wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:15 pm Went to see my charming but somewhat terrifying bowel surgeon today. I do like her, but the way she talks about chopping you up is unsettling.

The basics are that six months of chemo hasn't really done much. This means the only real option is a procedure called a hemicolectomy which is a standard procedure for bowel cancer. This involves cutting about 30cm of bowel out and stitching it back together. The complication I have is they think the tumour has grown into the muscle and tissue in my abdomen, so they'll need to chop that out as well - bye bye abs.

It is considered a high-risk procedure because the chance of leaving some cancer behind is reasonable and that may need radiotherapy. She told me that they'll try to do this via. a keyhole procedure but if they can't see enough they'll fillet me like a mackerel.

Because I'm also high risk due to a pulmonary embolism I need to go through some assessments, I should be on the chopping board in five to six weeks.
Good luck, Vespa x
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

shabbado wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:02 pm

I used it first and it made her laugh.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Vespa wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:46 pm
shabbado wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:02 pm

I used it first and it made her laugh.

"Madam, will they fillet you like a mackerel?"
"Sorry?"
"Will they fillet you like a mackerel?"

( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Nice one, Vespa about the joke to the doc :) . Good to hear you in good spirits.

I know I don't know you, but just to let you know, that a lot of us are thinking of you and your posts are funny, informative and heart-tugging.

I wish you well and a wee holiday (plus getting your abs back) once this is all over.

And thank you for your posts, it must be difficult to write up a wee report on here after a difficult or taxing day ; but it gives us an insight in to this.

Take care pal, and all the best!
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

kevin04 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:10 am Nice one, Vespa about the joke to the doc :) . Good to hear you in good spirits.

I know I don't know you, but just to let you know, that a lot of us are thinking of you and your posts are funny, informative and heart-tugging.

I wish you well and a wee holiday (plus getting your abs back) once this is all over.

And thank you for your posts, it must be difficult to write up a wee report on here after a difficult or taxing day ; but it gives us an insight in to this.

Thanks, hopefully they'll get it all out in one go. Otherwise I'll be on radiotherapy which I hope will leave me with a superpower.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

kevin04 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:10 am Nice one, Vespa about the joke to the doc :) . Good to hear you in good spirits.

I echo these sentiments, kev.

Vespa is a top man.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Zippy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:24 am

I echo these sentiments, kev.

Vespa is a top man.
+1. Take care, everyone; especially Vespa.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Had a pre-filleting meeting today, have to have a high-risk assessment next week and then they'll give me a date for the op. My only worry it that I need a intensive care bed for the operation to take place. Not that I'll be staying in an ICU just they'll park me there until I wake up and seem okay. If COVID spikes those beds fill up.

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Vespa wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:06 pm Had a pre-filleting meeting today, have to have a high-risk assessment next week and then they'll give me a date for the op. My only worry it that I need a intensive care bed for the operation to take place. Not that I'll be staying in an ICU just they'll park me there until I wake up and seem okay. If COVID spikes those beds fill up.
Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly, Vespa.

Hopefully your fears will come to nothing and you get the surgery ASAP

Hang in there, pal.

Very best wishes

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Steve Hunt wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:24 pm
Vespa wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:06 pm Had a pre-filleting meeting today, have to have a high-risk assessment next week and then they'll give me a date for the op. My only worry it that I need a intensive care bed for the operation to take place. Not that I'll be staying in an ICU just they'll park me there until I wake up and seem okay. If COVID spikes those beds fill up.
Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly, Vespa.

Hopefully your fears will come to nothing and you get the surgery ASAP

Hang in there, pal.

Very best wishes
Thanks, I've been told there is a legitimate risk there won't be the ICU bed for the operation if COVID cases keep rising and the are risking. I'll be sacrificing a lamb in the garden later for luck. :D

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Best of luck, Vespa. No ICU beds possibly is fucking ridiculous.

There can't and hopefully won't be another time of operations gone to Covid.

Joe Public will rightfully be livid.

Beds are there in Nightingale hopsitals if a second spike, use them, not ICU, unless necessary.

And it doesn't affect general surgery and other operations as you know.

Maybe for the 'Covid' thread, but here in Partridgeland, no more note for Covid in hopsitals and upping danger levels.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Maybe someone needs to tell somebody that people's lives are at risk for other illnesses and diseases.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On