Losing a Pet

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Zippy

Re: Losing a Pet

Post by Zippy »

Hillman avenger wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:24 pm
Zippy wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:54 pm Isn't it one of the worst things?

My 12 year old brown labrador passed away this morning. He had a few health issues this past year but had a bleed on the brain last night. By this morning he couldn't even move and it had to be done.

It's a fact of life that these things happen but it never gets any easier. I'll miss the boy. :(
I'm so sorry.
I know how you feel.
We are probably about to have to have our loved Mollie to sleep.
A rescue dog, full of character and just on the right side of naughty.
She has some kind of digestive problem, so food is going right through her whatever diet we give her.
She met her old pal Badger this morning and one time you would have struggled to stop them charging off chasing pheasants. But today while she recognised him that was about it.
My wife has had two former dogs but this is the one I have become attached to. I dread taking her to the vet and her trusting us taking her in.
Really sorry to hear this Hillman. It's a horrible situation to be in, despite being for the best. :(
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

paolo

Post by paolo »

My 12 year old brown labrador passed away this morning. He had a few health issues this past year but had a bleed on the brain last night. By this morning he couldn't even move and it had to be done.

It's a fact of life that these things happen but it never gets any easier. I'll miss the boy. :(
I'm so sorry.
I know how you feel.
She has some kind of digestive problem, so food is going right through her whatever diet we give her.
She met her old pal Badger this morning and one time you would have struggled to stop them charging off chasing pheasants. But today while she recognised him that was about it.
My wife has had two former dogs but this is the one I have become attached to. I dread taking her to the vet and her trusting us taking her in.
Wishing you and your family the very best during what is a heart breaking time
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Stop The Planned War On Iraq & Iran

End The WEF, World Bank & Other Corrupt Scumbags

Supporting African Indepedence

End The Tyranny Of The Dollar

Supporting Texas

blues4ever

Post by blues4ever »

I'm so sorry.
I know how you feel.
Sorry to hear this Hillman and wishing you all the best, had to do this with 3 dogs and 5 cats, never gets easier. We are on a break from dogs at the moment but do miss having a mad spaniel running around :(

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

I'm so sorry.
I know how you feel.
Really sorry to read this Hillman :(

Best wishes

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:03 pm Had a pet rat once. Ate it.
YSB
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

Reg

Post by Reg »

Sadact7 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:25 pm
Zippy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:22 am
The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:26 pm I thought this Fred might be Peter petingo walking into t'mersey having watched da toffeemen royally shit the bed
Ha, I did think maybe the title implied Ol' Pet had been misplaced like a set of car keys.
You gonna get another dog anytime soon Zippo?

My advice would be to wait a while until you’ve properly been able to bid goodbye to the old fella. Otherwise any dog you get is just going to be a square peg in a round whole.

When our old border collie died at 16 (we got him when I was 12) my mum and dad were obviously heartbroken and their whole routine had been based around him. They said they weren’t going to get another as they couldn’t bear it.

A year or so later they finally got a new border collie and, even though she’s a totally different personality, they love her for herself, rather than always comparing her to the old boy.
True.

And the other side of it is that there's always a lovely soul out there who could do with a home.

And a full-time servant.
Roy IN!!

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Reg wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:05 am
Sadact7 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:25 pm
Zippy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:22 am
The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:26 pm I thought this Fred might be Peter petingo walking into t'mersey having watched da toffeemen royally shit the bed
Ha, I did think maybe the title implied Ol' Pet had been misplaced like a set of car keys.
You gonna get another dog anytime soon Zippo?

My advice would be to wait a while until you’ve properly been able to bid goodbye to the old fella. Otherwise any dog you get is just going to be a square peg in a round whole.

When our old border collie died at 16 (we got him when I was 12) my mum and dad were obviously heartbroken and their whole routine had been based around him. They said they weren’t going to get another as they couldn’t bear it.

A year or so later they finally got a new border collie and, even though she’s a totally different personality, they love her for herself, rather than always comparing her to the old boy.
True.

And the other side of it is that there's always a lovely soul out there who could do with a home.

And a full-time servant.
Your last point has hit the nail on the head.
It's dreadful to lose a dog that's been with you for years, even though you know that you provided him with a good life and all the attention it deserved. I've had that happen five times and it's not nice.
However, there are out there hundreds of other dogs in need of adoption to a good home. And you know that they will reward you when you take one in.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

True.

And a full-time servant.
Absolutely.

We’re finally moving off a main road and our new place is on a quiet estate. Once we’re settled in I’m going to get a rescue kitten. We’re out all day at work so I thought an older cat would be inappropriate as they would require more of a human presence than we could provide.

Same reason I’m unable to have a dog at this moment in time, even though I would absolutely love one. I just couldn’t leave them at home for 11 or 12 hours a day by themselves. It’s not right.

In a bit Foam Moe

paolo

Post by paolo »

Little twat just cost me 75 dollars plus a 3am home
Poster of the Year

End the Woke

End Israeli Genocide

Stop The Planned War On Iraq & Iran

End The WEF, World Bank & Other Corrupt Scumbags

Supporting African Indepedence

End The Tyranny Of The Dollar

Supporting Texas

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Sadact7 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:04 am
True.

And a full-time servant.
Absolutely.

We’re finally moving off a main road and our new place is on a quiet estate. Once we’re settled in I’m going to get a rescue kitten. We’re out all day at work so I thought an older cat would be inappropriate as they would require more of a human presence than we could provide.

Same reason I’m unable to have a dog at this moment in time, even though I would absolutely love one. I just couldn’t leave them at home for 11 or 12 hours a day by themselves. It’s not right.
The opposite I think, Sadact. An older home cat might be better. And being out 12 hours a day plus sleeping is no good for a kitten that needs some stimulation.

Look at your local RSPCA, often older cats who just want to live out their dotage in comfort and some love (as cats do). Pre-Locklown, in my local RSPCA shop, lot of old cats who just want a nice home to stay in as been messed around. Any fella 4-5 years old, you could have ten years with. And always remember, cats are King. 8)
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Carlos J wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:40 am
True.

And a full-time servant.
Absolutely.

The opposite I think, Sadact. An older home cat might be better. And being out 12 hours a day plus sleeping is no good for a kitten that needs some stimulation.

Look at your local RSPCA, often older cats who just want to live out their dotage in comfort and some love (as cats do). Pre-Locklown, in my local RSPCA shop, lot of old cats who just want a nice home to stay in as been messed around. Any fella 4-5 years old, you could have ten years with. And always remember, cats are King. 8)
Thanks for the advice.

Obviously all animals are different, it’s horses for courses (or cats for twats :) ). When I get round to it I’ll go through it with the local RSPCA shelter to find out if they have a suitable match. I do like the idea of being able to give a good home to an older cat who just needs some stability.

The only issue is that we have the tortoise who is a bullying little git, so it might not be compatible with an older cat whereas if we get a kitten they’ll grow up with him and become used to living around him. But I’m sure the RSPCA can give me some guidance.

I’m neither a cat or dog man, I love both equally. I just love pretty much all animals to be honest. Mrs Sadact calls me Dr Doolittle as I seem to have an ability to bond with them. Thing I love about cats is that aloofness. They play by their own rules and that is just 8) as fuck.

In a bit Foam Moe

subsub

Post by subsub »

Sadact7 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:37 pm
Carlos J wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:40 am
True.

And a full-time servant.
Absolutely.

Thanks for the advice.

Obviously all animals are different, it’s horses for courses (or cats for twats :) ). When I get round to it I’ll go through it with the local RSPCA shelter to find out if they have a suitable match. I do like the idea of being able to give a good home to an older cat who just needs some stability.

The only issue is that we have the tortoise who is a bullying little git, so it might not be compatible with an older cat whereas if we get a kitten they’ll grow up with him and become used to living around him. But I’m sure the RSPCA can give me some guidance.

I’m neither a cat or dog man, I love both equally. I just love pretty much all animals to be honest. Mrs Sadact calls me Dr Doolittle as I seem to have an ability to bond with them. Thing I love about cats is that aloofness. They play by their own rules and that is just 8) as fuck.
After Mrs Subsub and I got married, we decided to get a cat, so we went to our local Cats Protection shelter, and there were three 13-year-old girls who had had a lovely life. We went for them because we felt like we were providing a retirement home for them :)
Also, because of their age, we knew the commitment would be shorter (5 yrs or so), so we could see how we get on with looking after them.
They were good as gold, and even though we were both out at work, they kept each other company - I would definitely recommend getting two cats (that get on!) if the house is going to be empty for long periods.
WOKE AND PROUD

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Indeed, Sadact. My RSPCA had little bios of them, some just wanted to sit and be cuddled, others to run around and be lively. They'll find you a right one. Aww for Sadact's cat maybe. :) Keep us informed.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Cheers fellas, appreciate the advice. I'll keep you updated on #DactCat

In a bit Foam Moe

blues4ever

Post by blues4ever »

Sadact7 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:37 pm Cheers fellas, appreciate the advice. I'll keep you updated on #DactCat
Best of luck and keep us updated.

I would be in the older cat camp, ours have always been rescues or strays, none of them had any problem with the tortoise.